Food Trucks

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

This has really taken off in Otown and surrounding areas here in FL. Some decent grub and I'm hitting them up every week. These are a step above the ol roach coach trucks. They have "Frenzies" a few nights every week at different spots. There is even a permanent 24/7 lot in Winter Park that always has trucks. I went to one Monday and had braised short ribs with onion and fennel on homemade bread. Then Death by Brownie made with some sorta Ecuadorean chocolate. Going this evening to another Frenzy. One truck has a brick oven complete with chimney firing up pizza. Then there is the YumYum cupcake truck...

Is it wrong that I'm excited for this?
    Food Truck Wars
    40 trucks, this will require some strategery!

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

And once you're done, your @ss will have a lifetime's supply of ordnance. :Poke:

3. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

It's big everywhere I think. So many "chefs" in the world and not enough restaurants or backers for a solo venture. Food trucks are cheaper and easier by comparison. You'll actually fine some fine chefs in some.

4. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

It isn't always that cheap to build one, and there is a lot of contention between brick and mortar spots and the trucks. The guy who has the lease on a building gets pissy when the "fly by night" truck parks three doors away. A brand new, built to order truck runs between $100K and $200K, depending on size and kitchen setup. They are cool, and there is some great food coming out of some of these rigs.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Elmer, don't you have a food truck? Or is it a Meat truck?

6. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

7. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

there is this new (to tucson) thing called the food truck round up every few weeks. Huge vacant lot near downtown on a sunday evening and any and all food trucks make like a huge circle and there is live music and tables and plenty of bitches walking around.

I think there might be one this weekend. Been real good with what im eating, but cant help sample 1 or 7 food trucks.

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Well, I know where I'm going after the trucks tonight. Thanks badbeak!

9. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I would like a franchise. I think it could do well here...

10. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Dave, sort of. The truck I built and am partners in is a rolling farmers market. Nothing is cooked, it's all ingredients - beef, pork, chicken, produce, cheese, eggs, pasta, grains, etc. Basically, everything people drag ass out of bed for on a Saturday morning, but with the truck coming to you during the week instead of the early morning.

11. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

12. Lawn Dart

Food truck thing is big here too... I hadn't heard of it before I moved back, but I have a friend who's a food blogger here and knows some of them. Its exactly as someone else said - some of them are chefs who got tired of the same run of the mill stuff at someone else's restaurant, and didn't have the means to start a brick and mortar place. One of the best food trucks is Nashville is Riff's Fine Street Food - they've got a little of everything, Korean BBQ, little bit of soul food, little bit of Caribbean... its good stuff.

Food truck group here started a Twitter account to let everyone know where they're going to be from day to day...

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Elmer, when you coming through? I want to place a semi large meat order with you.

14. Lawn Dart

15. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Tons in DC and surrounding areas; you can find out where they will be in this area using this site: http://foodtruckfiesta.com/

I hit them up once every few weeks. Some are really good, some are just plain bad ideas; for example, if you are ever tempted to eat a korean inspired burrito with kimchi, dont.

Things I just cant wrap my head around, paying $15 for a lobster roll out of a truck, and $4 for one regular sized cupcake.

16. Jay305

Jay305 Well-Known Member

This is pretty big back home in Miami as well, late night the trucks all converge at the park and it's a whole new social scene, DJ's and drunks to boot.

17. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

There was an oriental roach coach that came to the Orlando airport, probably still does. The food was always great and the lines were always long. I always wondered though, where do these folks wash their hands? :D

18. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Simple. You are hiring models. What those models do to occupy their time is serve coffee. They're models first and foremost. A bare-ista second.

19. Lawn Dart

I guess that's the one catch here.. I'm not sure any of the food trucks are allowed to sell alcohol... Driving an' all that...

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

last summer when I was in Austin there was a whole gaggle of trailer based eateries in a parking lot off Congress. Was only there a week... figure there were at least 20 unique meals to be had.
    Had a friend that lived in the Village a couple years and he always knew where the good "lunch carts" were. Especially in the summer time! :D