This is a Test.....

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by THIRTY4, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

It isn't one of those but it is interesting.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. charles

charles The Transporter

Well, that's a Krober ignition, so not likely it's a Japanese bike...hmmmm....this might take time.

3. Robin172

I have a photo of the whole bike as well, when you want to see it of course.

4. charles

charles The Transporter

not yet...show us the other side of the motor.

5. Robin172

I can't do that until I get home this evening.

6. Robin172

7. THIRTY4

THIRTY4 Well-Known Member

I STILL don't know what is? :confused:

Don

8. Robin172

[​IMG]

It's pretty obscure from the early-mid 70's, built by Sepp Schloegl, Alfons Zender Mang and Anton Mang called a SMZ 250. Anton Mang managed a 6th place on it at the 1975 Austrian GP. This was in the 350 class although all references I have seen to the bike have it as a 250. In those days though it wasn't unheard of for 250's to be raced in the 350 class and 350's in the 500.

9. charles

charles The Transporter

You rotten low-down! May you be consigned to ride clapped-out Vespas!:D

A 'one-off'!!! And a rare one, if it still exists... I should have suspected! I knew it was 'European' but could not get any leads to go on...Dieter Braun had his hands in this too...I must wonder if somehow any Suzuki-engineered stuff was incorporated....

10. peterz84

peterz84 Well-Known Member

Well thats just DIRTY Robin, dirty... :D

Got us all....:up:

Pete

11. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

I still dont know what the hell it is. lmao So its a completely home built engine chassis etc?

12. Robin172

Sorry chaps:D

Yes it was homebuilt. Sometimes I think that racing was a bit more interesting back then due to the fact that there were these homebuilt machines around along with variations of over the counter racing racing bikes. When you think that a company like Morbidelli, who were a woodworking firm produced world championship winning bikes and Pernod, the drinks company, provided the finance for a GP winning 250 things don't seem quite as exciting now.

There were lots of very good tuners around with some very interesting ideas, it's a shame that the two strokes have been thrown to one side as in reality they are cheaper to build than a four stroke.

13. Robin172

Here's another, this engine was also briefly used in a solo ridden by a world champion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

14. THIRTY4

.......and another:

[​IMG]

Don

15. THIRTY4

I couldn't agree more Robin. ;)

Don

16. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

This one's a gimme: Newcomb's bike shows up earlier in this thread. Interesting, one photo has engine with transverse crank and Norton gearbox, t'other had crank inline with a ??? gearbox

17. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Waay too many clues on this one. Wasn't it also a key part in the formation of a certain American V-Twin manufacturor?

18. Robin172

It has nothing to do Kim Newcombe, totally different engine. Looks like a BMW gearbox, which actually does give a link to Newcombe as he did some development work for BMW using the Konig engine in a BMW frame with the flat twins transmission.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  19. Robin172

Silver Dream Racer!:D

Barton Phoenix. The engine was used fairly successfully in sidecar outfits particularly by Nigel Rollason who I think may have won a TT using one.

20. THIRTY4

Hi Robin,

Of course, you are correct. :D As mentioned by "AHRMA_581", this is also what powered Eric Buell's first race bike.

Don