1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helmet in dishwasher?

Discussion in 'General' started by bodell, Dec 19, 2011.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Nope, it'd be kind of silly if I did after my previous statement

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20097302-10391704.html

Drier sheets are actually a popular and somewhat well know mouse deterrent :)

2. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I guess it would seem kinda silly of me to boycott drier sheets now... They help with the cigarette smoke smell! What doesn't cause cancer in this day and age though?

3. svtinker

svtinker Well-Known Member

:D:D

This

4. bodell

bodell Green Racing Advocate

I have a virtually new arai helmet that my wife smashed against the floor after I came home drunk one night. In the interest in science I am going to put it in the dishwasher. I am including the before pic with measurement to see if the foam shrinks or swells in the hot water. After pick coming in about a half hour.

Attached Files:

5. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Why? :eek:

She abused a helmet because you got drunk? Damn...

6. bodell

In the spirit of lasiness and truely not giving a fu*k, I left the greasy dishes in the washer, and added some detergent to the mix. I think it is safe to consider this a worst case scenario test.

Attached Files:

7. 418

418 Expert #59

Brad, drunk again? :D

8. bodell

Not yet, but working on it...

9. caferace

caferace No.

Might want to measure something else quick, before she smashes that too. :crackup:

-jim

10. bodell

No little dick jokes from the guy on the 250 please.

11. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Brad-

1) Be sure to take off the helmet BEFORE you put it into the dishwasher.

2) The dishwasher will mess up the glue in some helmet liners.

3) I pull the removable ARAI liner out and wash it in some Woolite in the sink, rinse thoroughly and let air dry for a couple of days. Makes hem smell summer-fresh for months.

4) You need to work some stuff out with the wife. Question: Were you wearing the helmet when she smashed it on the floor? If so, that explains a lot about your post :Poke:

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

You could pour a little Clorox in there for the sake of disinfection while you're at it :)

13. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Just go to the bowling alley.

14. bodell

The dishwasher there is named Juan, and I dont think he wants me sticking a helmet inside him.

15. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Just make sure the wife doesn't catch you using the dishwasher for helmets! I once used mine as a hot bath parts washer. That didn't go over so well!

16. bodell

Ok, the results are in.

I have thoroughly examined the helmet, vents, liner, cheek pads, etc. I have removed everything from the inside and included another photo with the tape measure showing that there was no change in foam size. I can tell you that the foam feels just as firm as it did before and I cant see any damage to any part of the helmet. It did not even harm the stickers.

Looks like I agree with Panthercity.

Attached Files:

17. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Did ya try it with a 2X4 for accuracy's sake? :Poke:

18. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I can see it, I've washed ball caps in the dishwasher for years with no ill effects.

Hmmm, I've got an old Haga Corsair around here that has a decent case of the funk...might go play...

19. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

:crackup:

20. Willyz

Willyz Grasshoppa

I pull the liner, toss it in the wash machine then put the helmet on the top rack of the dishwasher making sure to use the no-heat "ECO DRY" setting on the dishwasher.

I've washed probably 8 or 10 helmets this way over the years and never had any problems.

To each his own I guess.

BK