1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pilot or Heroic custom suit

Discussion in 'General' started by Maidennj, May 9, 2011.

1. Maidennj

Maidennj Member

Anyone have any experience with either?

2. motorbykemike

motorbykemike beer snob

heroic looks flashier , pilot is put together better

3. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I dunno, my pilot is cool looking but didn't hold up well. It did its job but the perf leather is too weak in my opinion.

4. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

I disagree. My Heroic suit is put together very well. while I haven't crashed in it yet, seeing how much abuse Shaky Dave's suit has gotten, as well as others I've seen, i'd say they crash extremely well. I've only seen light scuffing on the suits and zero seam failures. Santiago Villa is harder on suits than anyone i've seen and his suits have held up quite well.

S'up Mike?

5. studio819

studio819 Well-Known Member

Santiago and Robertino were indeed great crash test dummies for the Heroic suits :)

6. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Based on what?

Paul Allison is another guy that spent some time crash testing Heroic suits and they always held up great. Todd puts out a great product. From what I understand, so does Pilot.

7. six6two

six6two AWD

You won't regret going with Pilot!

8. JD¹³

JD¹³ Turbo Slow

Have some different pucks lined up when you get a Pilot suit because the factory ones are soft as butter. Young Lion on the board here went through his in a race and a half and ended up wearing into the velcro base which I don't think he was too happy about. Otherwise it looks like a pretty nice suit!

9. motorbykemike

motorbykemike beer snob

metric - based on my very thorough inspection of both brands top of line offerings , trying to pull them apart at the seams , construction/layout meaning quantity/location of panels/seams , location & type of different materials & armour/padding .

i have ALOT of 1st hand knowledge of allison "testing" more than a few suits , most of which were heroics , they do hold up well & todd @ heroic always seems to making improvemnets but i still stand by my 1st post . that being said i do like heroics hard/stingray armour package & the gloves are nice .

also have some 1st hand knowledge of podolsky "testing" herioc & rev-it suits , both did the job .

different products that serve the same purpose in different ways ....they are both good suits & you should be happy w/ either .

10. racrx451

racrx451 Well-Known Member

ayden lee...

11. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

Had heroic custom last year and wear pilot custom this year... I had to immediately send my heroics to Alexa to get altered after all my measurements were taken for the suit. I couldn't get my legs into them far enough to even see how the upper body felt!

Once she opened up the legs, I was able to try on the 'rest' of the suit to find that the arms were very baggy. This is on a full custom suit where I was measured by Todd himself. I crashed in them once at VIR and wore a 2" hole right through the back of them.

Switched to pilot this year, they fit beautifully and I received them in a reasonable timeframe. Haven't crashed in them yet but so far so good, favorite set of leathers yet!

12. motorbykemike

motorbykemike beer snob

try to not test the pilots kyle & good luck this season.

13. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Todd is a nice guy. That being said I tried to order a suit twice. First time he took over a month to get back to me the 2nd took 3 weeks. Nice suits but the communication just wasnt there. I passed and bought from someone else.

14. metalkid88

metalkid88 Well-Known Member

Love my heroic suit...most comfortable suit I've worn yet..haven't crashed in it tho

15. Wackattack

Wackattack Member

Gotta say..I have my first Pilot leathers this year and they fit great. The best leathers I've had so far. I would definitely recommend them. Pilot was also very easy to work with.

16. HEROICRacing

HEROICRacing Well-Known Member

Hey guys, Todd from HEROIC here. Don't get on here too often. Contact me on FB with any questions.

Our pouch skin kangaroo suits this year are absolutely world class. .089mm pouch skin kangaroo. Eric Stump has wrecked his Daytona A. suit 11 times from 160 - 30 mph and no broken threads, torn leather. The cowhide name on the butt is missing the M in Stump. Pretty outstanding for a suit that is 6lbs and feels like Under Armour.

In all our suits we try to get all the crash protection on the outside of the suit so it leaves mobility to the rider.

I did have a tough winter but was on the road a lot in south florida going from track to track. I may have been difficult to get ahold of but what other leather company hit 118 trackdays, 12 rounds of AMA, 15 CCS races and 4 WERA events in 10 months. I believe that trackside presence, sales and support are hand in hand.

If you need to get ahold of me, I'm on FB all day everyday. 'Todd McNabney' I'm a one man company with a love of the sport.

17. HEROICRacing

HEROICRacing Well-Known Member

It is funny how people rate the longevity and integrity of a race suit. If your a pro or non pro racer you should understand that every wreck is different. You can repeat the same wreck over and over and over and have a different outcome every time due to uncertainties.

That said, I have had Higbee crash my gloves 12 times in a row and he's coming for duct tape to fix a flapping stingray pad. But he's coming to fix them because he has confidence that they will hold up for another thrash. Paulie Allison earned 3 RRW wreck pages in one year with one suit and endured tons of wrecks on one suit and one significant hole from the back protector rubbing the asphalt through which is what happened to Kyles and Paulie wants it back for moto events.

It comes down to what is the use of the suit. Immediate performance? Longevity? High Performance? Comfort? Compression? Touring? Is it planned Heavy wrecking? : I'd recommend a new tech for setup. LOL My new suits are performance suits that wreck. In my opinion Vanson is a crash suit that takes a while to perform, BUT will crash for years "Longevity". I make branding suits that the rider can establish their own brand through graphics and the chasis allows them to perform because I put the protection on the outside of the suit and less on inside. My new roo suits as mentioned above are Pure GP suits that perform as soon as you put it on.

I've never tried on a Pilot not know what the ingredients are. Pilot care to chime in.

Vanson and Pilot both agree with me through conversation with Matt and Josh that 10% of custom suits have to be altered. Humans are constructing these products. I do recommend and work closely with Lizzyleather.com. If the proper altering was performed on the aforementioned custom, the stretch material on the back of the knee should have been opened up and re-seamed. The same with the forearm. This is why I work closely with one repair company that knows the suits and performs the correct alterations.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  18. kneedragger29

kneedragger29 Well-Known Member

Vanson:
    Great end product.
    The single worst retail experience i have ever had. Liars. Period.
    I have 2 Vansons. Selling them both because i can't bear to been seen in either, even without the logos.
    My next suit is going to be a Heroic. Soon.

Lizzy did a good job on fixing what i could not trust Vanson to do, but her cat FREAKED ME THE F OUT!!
    :D

19. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

What size Vanson's?

I am a real fan of the old "Made in America" stuff but since they moved to Guatemala I haven't bought a thing.
    I am SO sick of the "it's a global economy" excuse for selling US manufacturing short.

Stay hustling Todd, between you and Dripping Wet the home grown, chase your own dream moto-economy has some hope yet.
    And oh yeah, you forgot you owe me a set of gloves from the Blue Moon party a couple years back ;)

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  20. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Are the Heroic suits made in the US?