Support your dealer

Discussion in 'General' started by Derick, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Erz

Erz Well-Known Member

sportbikers are the cheapest motherfuckers on the planet. you guys should know this by now.

2. speeddemon828

speeddemon828 casual user

3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Oh yeah, I went to get a 50 mm fork cap wrench from his Motion Pro tree, and he didn't have one. I had to wait like 4 days for it to come in. I wasn't pissed tho, becase the lead tech let me take his wrench so I could swap springs. It pays both sides to have a good working reationship.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You guys sure you want to start a political discussion here?

5. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I haven't been inside a dealership in a long time. I don't miss it. Online is so cheap and easy. Plus the amount of tech support you can get online is amazing (the tech section of this BBS for example).

6. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, I agree. But, I think you would be naive to think that you haven't lost a sale or 2 to an online retailer. Shops like yours that have always had good service should be fine. The shops that are suffering are the ones that could previously get away with shitty service and lower level staff since there were no alternative markets to shop and now they have to try to lure customers back in.

7. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

Agreed, and it goes well beyond a, "sales or two." It all started with mail order tires out of the back of magazines way back in the 80's...

8. corsameltin

corsameltin Well-Known Member

I really love it when I spend 2k a year at a place and the clerk who has been there 3 weeks wont place the order unless I come in with the credit card on a 20 dollar part. For my protection of course. Dealers should just give up selling parts. Its a joke

9. Chumbucket

That "clerk" should be publicly flogged...

10. speeddemon828

speeddemon828 casual user

no, I don't want to get political but I think internet stores have an unfair advantage.

For the record I have added an internet store to my shop. I think more and more dealers will have to go this way.

11. nochknstrps

nochknstrps Well-Known Member

So what is the excuse for shops like cycle gear that have large network of store fronts and a webstore?

12. Chumbucket

It might compliment your brick and block shop....Again, back in the paleolithic era I rode, hell I dunno, 500 miles round trip to Xenia, Ohio from Ft. Knox, KY to buy a Bell M-1 from what was predominately a mail order joint with a small shop back then (we're talking very early 80's)...Competition Accessories? That it? One of the old farts must remember...

They had good people in their shop...If I had had the jingle to want a Beemer, or Norton, or whatever strange continental stuff they were selling back then I would have gone back...

13. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I buy local. Period. I got enough empty buildings around here. I don't need any more.

For me, paying more on my parts is an investment in my home prices. That helps me justify the extra 10-20%.

Only time I buy online is if I have some specialty stuff to order.

14. Chumbucket

Precisely, 10-20 percent is not going to break a deal to keep a good shop open locally...Not on parts and accessories which is where all the online pressure is coming from...

15. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Haven't spent much time around BMW riders, have ya.

"Know the cheapest part on a BMW?"

"The rider."

16. Chumbucket

Heh, heh, sometimes I wish we had those Facebook "Likey" things around here...

17. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

As my old boss at Dallass Suzuki said (frequently). "Sell `em cheap! Get those bikes out there using up parts and service so I can make some damn money!"

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Then say that and leave the political end of things out of it. If you want to discuss that part there is a whole forum just for it. FWIW I agree with you.

19. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

They have to keep their employees in flatbills and tats...

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, that's them. Great source for race stuff.