1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full Leather 1 pc suit for $199?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by dianhsuhe, Mar 14, 2011.

1. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Well-Known Member

So I have been looking at cl and ebay every day looking for decent used 1 piece suit and for Joe Rocket pants to go with a jacket I got recently...

Well someone in one of the forums I belong to mentioned this place:
    http://www.jackets4bikes.com/c-554-leather-motorcycle-suits.aspx

Anybody heard of them or familiar with their products?

Thanks!
    EDIT: I do not need anything fancy just a suit to do some track days. (the above place, price and lack of even a brand name have me skeptical)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Well, I bought 3 very lightly used name brand (A* & Teknic) suits from WERA guys for about that price. Look in the WERA classifieds.

3. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Buy something name brand used.

4. oconnor

oconnor Bad juju

Yes those are made of rare Chinese hairless three-toed rat scrotum leather. Silky yet highly abrasion resistant. A step above kangaroo ball-bag.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  5. oconnor

oconnor Bad juju

I was kidding by the way. I would say to a certain extent you get what you pay for. I started cheap and am working my way up the leather ladder. Kobe would be the cheapest I'd go unless you can get a closeout deal on something better.
    Used stuff is a whole 'nother deal on quality leathers. Price can reflect many things from the guy just wanting a good older suit gone to a name brand with damage.
    My opinion only and I'm a noob so be warned.

6. redciv1

redciv1 Well-Known Member

I just purchased one of their suits and to be honest the quality seems compareable to the joe.rocket suits I test at my local dealer. I purchased a full one piece leather suit with the aero hump on back. Heavy suit with good quality thick leather and good seams as well.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Save your money and buy something that isn't total shit.

And yes, I'm saying they're total shit.

8. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

Check the WERA classifieds. I have a suit for sale (cough cough) as well as vendors that support the BBS.

9. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

keep an open eye on eBay and on weraclassifieds.com

My suite was $122.50, shipped. It's an older Fieldsheer model, and was missing the liner. I bought an under-suit for $60 and haven't missed it. the suit had never been down until I owned it.

Adding hard armor to the elbows and shoulders would probably be a good idea for any older suit.

10. Commander_Chaos

Commander_Chaos Hillbilly Genius

I got a pair of plain leather pants from them that were fair. I wouldn't race in anything from there, though. I can also tell you that spending another $100.00 will buy you a huge amount of quality, 300.00 being the bare minimum you can spend to get something that will last more than a season. The most bang for your buck comes from buying a good used suit with a bit of rash.

You need a suit to get your race license, not just track days. :)

11. wac

wac Well-Known Member

$199 for a suit it's like a $8.99 helmet.

12. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

:stupid:

With the gear you wear, you REALLY get what you pay for.

It's your skin, your hands, or your head, your sternum, or your spine, or your ankles...

get the best stuff you can afford. Period.

13. foster

foster Well-Known Member

I know it's tempting because the initial cost of getting to the track can be hard to swallow. But as I was sliding across the pavement at 85mph I was sure glad the dead cow I was wearing was taking all the damage not my own hide. And yes it was just track day. I bought a name brand used and am sure glad I did.

14. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Example, crashed a pair of cheap/mid-priced gloves once and they exploded on impact. Result fucked up wrist for 6 months. Bought a really nice pair of Komodo gloves for about the price of that ebay suit with the sliders on the wrist and have crashed them twice. Not only do they still look pretty good but my wrist were not affected at all.

15. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Crashing at a track day can hurt just as much as crashing in a race. Wear good gear.

16. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

I don't think they are even as good as total shit.

17. redciv1

With the exception of one response. no one that actually owns gear from the site has spoken. and even then the response was listed as fair. I value the boards openess, but I think the OP would like to hear actual testimonies from people that actually own the gear. I haven't gone down in my suit so I can't say for sure what the quality is like for a fall.
    Now if anyone wants to assist in a CONTROLLED OFF TRACK experience then that's another story.:up:

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

When I become ruler of the universe all new trackday riders, racers and the like will be forced to buy Vanson, Z custom or the like. Good quality, crash worthy and, like herpes, you'll have them forever.

Expensive to buy in but, amortized over the years they will last, they're damn cheap.

NEVER skimp on your gear!

19. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Oh I don't know Dave, I've had herpes since 1978 and been with my wife since 1981 and she has not contracted it, so it's not that bad.

Don't be bashing on herpes now!

(FWIW, I have a nice A* suit)

20. redciv1

LOL. WTF:eek: