1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cost of trackday rubber

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by gofasta, Dec 12, 2010.

1. gofasta

gofasta Active Member

I just want to get an idea of what you guys in the States Pay for Slicks. In Canada we are looking at $400.00 for Dunlops per set.

2. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

That's cheap. 195 slicks are $480 something

3. gofasta

gofasta Active Member

4. 418

418 Expert #59

A set of Q2's will do just fine as "trackday rubber" and they'll be much cheaper.

If you're buying Dunlop slicks for trackdays, you better be flying. :)

5. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Now you know most riders, regardless of pace, at trackdays want to give the appearance of looking fast . . . . . . C'mon Son!

Even in the intro group :rolleyes:

6. Vitamin-E

Vitamin-E cornerin lo in the 3-1-fo

Bridgestone BT-016s are nowhere near that. I think I bought my last set for like $220 shipped. BT-003RS are little more.

Slicks are for Superbikes dude.

7. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

I love slicks and for four years that's all I used. Run whatever makes you happy and that which you feel comfortble on and trust. DOT's..slicks..whatever.

8. Vitamin-E

Vitamin-E cornerin lo in the 3-1-fo

Tru dat. "Slicks are for superbikes" is just my 2 cents. I'm a supersport/superstock guy at heart. :up:

9. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

STG has Michelin slicks for $375

10. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

BT016 are good although they can get greasy, I've ran the BT003RS a couple trackdays although I used warmers, they’re not required for the street tires, also, I wouldn't recommend riding them in the rain.

11. Lifeon2whls

Lifeon2whls Active Member

I like to run whatever is best for the conditions and has the most grip. I may not be riding at 100% during a trackday but as a racing friend once said...spending 400-500 on a new set of sticky tires is a lot less than the money you will spend to fix your bike after a crash.

12. blankwall

blankwall Well-Known Member

i run an sv650 and use the 003rs best tire in my opinion $200 a set

13. Vinny337

Yep, best bang for the buck...:up:

14. mr fatback

mr fatback Well-Known Member

Great trackday tire.:up:

15. Dangy

Dangy Well-Known Member

where??

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Dunlop ntec slick takeoffs at ~$150 a set. 6680's grip awesome and last like 4-5 days with warmers no problem. Can't beat it and plenty of grip for TDs. My whole thing is I like consistency. I like a familair tire that I know how to setup and read, even if its more grip than I need who cares :D

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  17. Vinny337

If you don't mind me asking, where are you getting your takeoffs?

18. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

:stupid: I was thinking the same thing.

Just to be clear, are you getting 4/5 days outta the take-offs?

19. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

A lot of people on the board sell take offs. Look around in the classifieds.

And I get 4-5 days out of my used take offs. The slicks don't seem to last as long as the DOT's which I have wore down to bald but they all stick.

20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yup, people sell take-offs on here, sometimes you'll come across something on ebay. The well is kinda dry at the moment since its the offseason.

Needless to say I wouldn't buy/ship DOTs or slicks this time of year anyway. Given the frigid temperatures, who knows where they are sitting during transit. You guys have seen those other posts of race tires sitting in the cold that have rubber cracked apart like shattered ice.