SV 650 cost of racing vs. 600, 750, 1k

Discussion in 'General' started by dickie doo, Oct 25, 2010.

1. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Ok, so I'm selling my 06 750 so I can fund another purchase, but I'd like to know what the difference is between racing a bike like my 750 or racing an sv 650 are.

I don't think it can be that big of a financial difference, but am I wrong. Are they that much better on tires and are parts just that much cheaper?

I searched, but didn't really find a good answer. I'd like to hear from those of you who have raced both if possible.

Thanks!

2. dom

dom Dom-N-Ator Racing

on an sv you can easily run two weekends on tires that for michelins only cost 370 or so...

plus i dont think there is as much a need to do engine work on an sv...

I'd say racing an sv is considerably cheaper...

Also i'm selling one if you are interested....

3. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

Great thread subject! :up: I've been debating whether to get an sv or a 600 for next season, would be great to get a solid idea of cost differences.

4. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

I could usually do weekends for under $500 on average. Most expensive weekend last year was VIR, but even that was under $1000 including gas and hotel. The bike itself might be slightly cheaper, but race prep is about the same. It might be a little more depending what type of bike you start with, since a new shock and a fork upgrade is a must rather than a nice to have.

5. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

You still gonna race the 250?

6. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Tires would be the only real difference.

7. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

Yeah, the new gen is all ready to go for next season, but want to go bigger also to learn more and compete with my buddies.

8. dickie doo

Great info so far guys. Keep it coming.

9. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

Wouldn't the crash repair cost be higher on a 600, 750, or liter bike? Also, in my experiences running an sv stock motor, they seem to be very, very reliable as long as you keep fresh oil in them.....and yes, tire wear seems to be much lighter on the lightweight bike I think.

10. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

Which is one of the biggest expenses....

11. SLLaffoon

Another thing about tires is the grids have been typically a little smaller. It's a little easier to win contingency when there are 2-3 really fast guys instead of 8-10, assuming there are enough starters in the first place.

12. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Didn't say it wasn't just pointing out the facts.

13. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Bodywork, rims, levers, clip ons and rear sets cost the same on most bikes. 600/750 motors a just as reliable when maintained.

14. turbodogs02

turbodogs02 Just batting at the bunny

I just sold my '99 SV. Having raced a 600 prior to that, I would also agree that your tire budget is much less with the SV....Depending on your pace, you can get multiple weekends out of a set. Even if you run out the rear in a weekend or two, the front typically can be stretched a bit further. Of course your experiences may vary, but that's been the common thing I've seen among the SV racers.

They seem to crash pretty well, and since most of them are little Frankenbikes, parts can be had or improvised pretty easy.

All told, they are just fun little bikes. Taught me a lot about maintaining corner speed, thinking around a track, and not being able to just rely on HP to cover up a mistake.

15. ofcounsel

ofcounsel Above the Law

Yeah, I would agree with everything here. I used to race to a 675, but have since moved down to the SV. I've been racing the SV for two seasons now. The tire budget is about 1/2 of the 600 class. I'm happy I made the switch.

16. fzr400tony

fzr400tony can't ride

Tires are definitely cheaper as a novice/amateur. Expert results may be different. I could only get one weekend out of the Michelins. However, I got two weekends out the pirelli track day tires and did not go any slower on them. Plus, they were only like $300/set or so.

Beyond that, it's a fun bike to race and it doesn't seems to beat me up as much as the R6.

As a novice, there's no way in hell I would build an SV. Good SV's can be had cheap.

17. dickie doo

Great info. That's what I was looking for.

18. SLLaffoon

One other thing that I forgot to mention. The bike technology moves a bit slower in the SV classes. Someone could buy an '03 SV650 and win an expert race given they have enough talent. 03-09 all use pretty much the same frame, suspension, bodywork, etc... Actually the older single plug models seem to make more power than the newer dual plug motors. Someone could probably be somewhat competitive on a 1st gen as well, although it might be a little more of a struggle.

19. dom

dom Dom-N-Ator Racing

honestly i'm selling my sv to move up to a 600 with the clear understanding that my tire bill is about to double... (fun)

20. dickie doo

Thanks Mr. Laffoon. You're a bit of an sv expert. I guess I just need to ride on on the track and see how I like it. I'm looking to move down to improve my corner speed and braking skills. I hear they help.