Monticello Monday Sucked!!!

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by boccarp, Oct 11, 2010.

1. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

never said that, full should be about 85-90 capacity. Leaves room for shuffling people around. For what the orgs charge, they still make good money doing it that way.

2. madkaw

madkaw Meh...

How is a coach supposed to make an assessment of a rider's ability (or inability) to ride in a certain group when said rider crashes not only in the first session but within' the first 2 laps of the first session? There's just no way to figure that the rider doesn't belong in that group so early in the day. By time the coaches and staff made the assessment that riders were in the wrong groups the attitude for the remainder of the day just went downhill, thus all the harsh bashing of the club and how it runs its events. Running a trackday is not an exact science. The clubs do their best to run things efficiently, safely, and with minimal fuss. STT, as do all trackday clubs, try their best to constantly improve the system so they take alot of these comments as constructive criticism. But when people start taking personal shots at specific people, well...that's not constructive, that's just downright rude and adolescent. So to those that took some jabs @ Monte and STT, grow up and get over whatever your personal gripe is.

3. ToddClark

Really? I would have never guessed!!! :D

4. madkaw

madkaw Meh...

Understood. And yes,perhaps it would be a good idea to leave 10-15% of space for bumping up/down.

5. eboos

eboos Slowski

I guess I can see this from your perspective. From being on the other side of the fence, I have a different perspective. Ultimately, it sounds like the day didn't go as well as planned, but I think it would be very unfair to judge STT, and it's staff by this one day, especially for those that weren't there. For those that were there, and it was their first time with STT, I would ask that they take into consideration STT's reputation and form their own opinion.

6. ToddClark

Maybe you should tell that to those that are attached to the STT nutsack hangers when they bash other organizations who have the occasional bad day/weekend. Ever actually read the stt forum? They have no problem leaving those type posts up for everyone to pile on to, but will delete any thread or post that points the finger at them. Seen it happen wayyyy too many times over the years.

Quite simple really, don't overbook an event and this sort of thing most of the time wont happen.

7. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

To me there are three different issues at this trackday:

1) A lot of riders crashing in the advanced group. There is nothing STT or any organization can do to prevent a crash other than maybe a second riders meeting to try and drive the point home. It is solely up to the individual riders to ride safe.

2) Riders signing up for and riding in the advanced group even though they were not riding the appropriate pace. Since STT has no rider placement system in place it is up to the riders to honestly answer their riding level. On the other hand it is up to the organization (STT in this case) to ultimately take control of the situation of if it becomes apparent there are people riding in an incorrect group. There also needs to be an appropriate number of coaches out there to ensure this happens.

3) Groups were 100% filled. 60 people on track is a lot of riders, especially when there is the possibility of large differences in riding skill and speed in a single group. If a group is 100% full how can the organization move people around to their proper skill level if needed? Like Todd said there should be some space left in each group should bump up/down be necessary.

I know last year another track organization was blasted for a crowded/crash fest day at NJMP. That organization made changes to their track day format which has been positively received by all of the riders. I hope STT doesn't blow off the criticism as a few disgruntled riders and takes this as an opportunity to better the next MMS full course track experience and themselves as an organization.

8. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

I agree 100% :up:

9. eboos

eboos Slowski

My work here is done. I'm needed elsewhere now.

wooooooosh

10. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

Hell our event this year at Barber wasn't even 100% full, had way too many red flags in advanced group. Biggest issue was too many new riders to the track, trying to learn the track too fast and going too fast....ended up having a come to Jesus second riders meeting, of course not everyone got the message.

You have to allow room to move riders, I don't believe that you need control riders out in advanced, if you ride advanced you should know to play nice and there will be close passing. Also, having a good/great corner working staff helps too, using FBF helps with a lot of the riders in the wrong group issues; they will tell me on the radio if we have moving chicanes out in any group.

As far as stupid, yes he comes in many sizes, usually on a liter bike, but I've seen him on a 600 too, he gets one warning, the second conversation is about packing shit up and leaving.

11. madkaw

madkaw Meh...

Honestly I haven't seen any other club bashing posts on the STT forum (and yes, I DO read their forums just about daily) but if you say so I'll have to take a better look at some later dated threads.

And the crashfest had nothing to do with overbooking. It had to do with self proclaimed rockstars that thought their big egos would carry their talent (or lack thereof) from street to track.

12. XACT-Man

Bwaaaaahaaaaaa....the Barber event I mentioned in my above post, was blasted as "unsafe" on the STT forum by one of their cronies due to the red flags.

Glad you know how to run track days, just a FYI, simple statistics, more riders=more chances of shit going wrong, more riders then there should be in a group and no place to move them=much higher chance of shit going wrong and no way to fix it.....:Poke:

13. madkaw

madkaw Meh...

I didn't say I knew how to run trackdays but apparently YOU DO.

I'm just trying to offer some insight as to what went wrong and how it can be prevented or minimalized. And as for your "Barber" event getting blasted, post up the link. I'd like to read about it.

14. XACT-Man

It was killed once it got out of hand, yes I probably didn't help matters buy posting up in it, of course I am now banned from their site, but hey it only makes sense right, don't let your competition in on your turf.;)

It's not rocket science, but I have been doing it for the better part of 8yrs, so yes I do know a bit about it.:up:

15. ToddClark

You wont find many, if any, threads criticizing. STT on their site. They delete them just about as fast as they pop up. God forbid anyone insinuate theyre business model is flawed.

16. eboos

eboos Slowski

Perhaps they don't want their marketing tool (their forum) to advertise competing companies or bashing their's. Crazy thought.

17. ToddClark

No shit, ya THINK?? :crackup: then don't go on other peoples forums bashing other organizations.

18. motoford

motoford Well-Known Member

O-M-G, eboos, you stepped in it :crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

19. eboos

eboos Slowski

Easy dog, I've done nothing to offend you. What other orgs on what other forums have been bashed by STT staff? (not sure why I am taking the bait on this)

I liked your suggestion about the 90% to leave room for movement.

20. eboos

eboos Slowski

What can I say? It's a slow day at work.