Salvage Motorcycle Dealers..??

Discussion in 'General' started by mrc00l88, Jun 3, 2010.

1. mrc00l88

mrc00l88 Well-Known Member

Anyone know whats required in order to become a salvage motorcycle dealer, in NJ?

Need to know how to become registered to be able to purchase wrecked motorcycles from Insurance companys, and then how to get on a "list" so that they know that I'm a qualified 'SALVAGE' Dealer.

Or does anyone have a connection in NJ that would be willing to help me out.

Thanks.

2. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

I don't know about in NJ, but in MI it's a lot of work and money to get everything up and running. Much easier to have someone find you a bike and buy it from them

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Hymer Motors in AZ. Low initial investment.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Cold, dude... :p

5. vance

vance *

Not sure of NJ, but it's probably similar to other states:
    If you have an office space with parking lots, etc. and can open a 2nd business in it just to have a mailing address, that's the easiest.
    Otherwise:
    rent on a business location
    Untilities there
    Insurance and bonded
    dealers license
    Classes and annual continuing education
    City/county annual business license fees

If you're wanting to buy a few bikes a year for you and your friends, it's not worth it.

6. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

pretty much. Just wrote a renewal check for a few K just for insurance...fun stuff :)

7. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

My employer/boss/good friends, just got their OHIO dealers/salvage license.
    I'm actually sitting here watching several Virtual bidding lots on COPART.
    I've got the green light to search and buy what I think is a profitable buy. We dabbled in this over the winter before they got their actual Dealers' license, and was quite successful.

I can only assume that the requirements are similar from state to state.
    In Ohio, your property has to be 55,000 sq/ft I believe.
    Fenced in yard with semi-opaque netting or vinyl slats attached to the fence.
    A county inspector must come and see the property.
    I had to take several pics of the property, the fixed sign, the office with a working counter, etc...and send them to the state.

My employer already had their primary business setup of 35yrs, so this was easier for them to do.
    Just alot of paperwork-emails, faxes, phone calls, tax papers...and then getting setup with the online auction sites themselves, is a job in itself.

8. mrc00l88

mrc00l88 Well-Known Member

i understand, thanks for the info guys. seems copart, i cant even buy unless i am a 'broker'.

anyone want to hook me up with a few bikes? :beer:

9. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

Mob connections

10. fyyff

fyyff Well-Known Member

NC auctions are open to the public. There are only a few states that allow that to be done.