"He who can not be named" effects race results of todays race at Ohio

Discussion in 'General' started by DavieStone, Jul 18, 2009.

1. bel-biv

bel-biv Well-Known Member

From the AMA rulebook:

Blue Flag: Indicates to a rider that they are about to be
    overtaken. Riders are advised to keep their line and allow the
    faster rider to pass. Riders disregarding this flag may be blackflagged
    at the discretion of AMA Pro Racing.

I think the key phrase is "allow the faster rider to pass"
    The preceding phrase "to keep their line" is to advise the slower rider to maintain a degree of predictability before the lead rider comes through.
    At that point, the slower rider is directed to allow the faster rider(s) to pass - not race with them, not to interfere with them in any way - get out of the way and let them through.

2. Tim McKinley

Tim McKinley Salty Member

My .02 as a guy who's been in this position...

For years a buddy and I discussed trying to qualify for the Spanish CEV Formula extreme race at Jerez. It is nationally televised on the equivelant of ABC/CBS/NBC and some pretty big name guys and up and comers race in it. So we finally pull the trigger when we think our times are quick enough. I qualifyed dead last, but I made the cut off and the show. I was stoked.

I skipped the last few minutes of final qualifying because I knew I would only save a few tenths, and didn't want to be the guy who got in the way of guys trying to impress sponsors and scouts.

Morning of the race, I looked at the leaders times from practice, and figured I would get lapped by about the guy running 9th, with about a lap and a half to go. So during the race I rode as hard as I could but kept in the back of my mind that around lap 9 or 10 they'd be coming. Sure enough, I got passed in the last hairpin coming onto the front straight on lap 9, and I sat up slightly and took a wide line to let them through. He's racing for a job in WSBK and I'm just doing something cool that was a personal goal; I have a day job.

The rider ahead of me was 27th and gapped by about a hundred yards, so no reason to "hold my line" (although I did get him at the line on the last lap). If JRP had been racing for position, that's one thing, especially if it was a points position, otherwise, get out of the way.

3. DavieStone

DavieStone Well-Known Member

more from Johnnys facebook...

Johnny Rock Page I'm in tech getn my ass chewd out by Al ludington f this f that, they blme me 4 fn up rce. I held my line according blue flag, fuuuuuck.

4. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Its funny...the hold your line statement has always meant to me for the corner I'm in or about to go into. After that...heads up...get out of the way.

5. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

No Johnny, you jumped right back in the pack and ran your race line while others were trying to race for something other than 24th.

6. DavieStone

Anyone that watches the last laps of the Laguna race will see me going thru rainy curve and not take it to the curb on the exit so that the race leaders could come thru. Then when I came upon T10 I held my line and again went to the outside T11 and let Mladin thru.

I gave up probably 20 bike lengths on JRP and got my ass chewed by my wife for not beating JRP this round:Puke::crackup:

7. Vitamin-E

Vitamin-E cornerin lo in the 3-1-fo

I just wish JRP was fast as hell. Always challenging Mladin and co. for 1st through 3rd. Then we could say his name all the time...

Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page Johnny Rock Page ........

8. caferace

caferace No.

^^ survive that. :crackup:

-jim

9. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Ahem... it's Rainey Curve. Named for a very famous American motorcycle road racer, not the weather conditions.

10. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

:crackup:

11. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

12. MrWheeler

MrWheeler Well-Known Member

13. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I saw that one and I laughed as well but I thought the JRP one had more to do with this thread. :D

14. MrWheeler

MrWheeler Well-Known Member

Good point, without him, the series would suck less.

15. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

16. SmokeDog34

SmokeDog34 Well-Known Member

Good to meet you at laguna seca, stone. We were the couple from nashville .

Attached Files:

17. DavieStone

Nice meeting ya too! Pretty cool to meet all the people from around the country and put a face to the screen name!:up:

18. rsp919

rsp919 Well-Known Member

I applaud Yates for being the bigger man. I thought without a doubt it was his race to win until Johnny "look at me" Page wanted his 15 seconds. In the post race interviews even race winner Hayes said "lapped traffic didn't seem to want to get out of the way." While Yates didn't say a word. It did look like Hayes and Yates came up on Page in a bad spot, but Johnny Pop Page still didn't bother to get out of the way of everyone else was coming through. Looks like Miguel had a legitimate beef after all.

19. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

Hard to type wasn't it!?:crackup:

20. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

It's all good.:up: Yes, the overtaking rider has that responsibility. But I will add that as soon as he realized he was being overtaken by the race leaders (and you should have an idea who the race leaders are likely to be), and he wasn't racing for position, he should have made it as easy as possible for them to get through.