PSR / CopyCat Machine & Engineering Co.

Discussion in 'General' started by Britt, Jul 17, 2009.

1. caboose

caboose I love peanut butter!

that's what i was thinking too.. they're prices don't really reflect the fact that they put zero effort into product development.

2. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Hey that takes a lot of work to copy every single detail of a product!

3. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I think I posted it up in the other PSR thread as well, but the PSR chain adjusters are direct knock offs of the Gilles.

I recently had the opportunity to take a look at a set of the PSR's that come through my shop on a customer's bike. I compared them directly to my Gilles adjusters and they were exactly the same. I even put a dial caliper on them to compare dimensions. Dead on.

In fact, PSR's GP lifters even bolt right on to the Gilles.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

All those guys should find a lawyer with a lot of free time (cough*Doyle*cough) and file a lawsuit even if they can't win it. At least they can make his life a little more difficult for a while.

5. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Actually it takes quite a bit of time and having the bike and covers they match to...then there is the 30K for the design program in this case it was SolidWorks, that then is converted into a program.

The R&D time to actually have a good part, plus getting all the correct setup..is costly however, if you have the part in your hand, you can look at the tool paths and see how it was made..and if you want you can cut out some of the steps to make it inferior and cheaper..but look the same.

And coming up with a design that works...if you have it in your hand..then it is 3/4 done for you.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  6. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

There's a big difference in this case though as CRG (at least) does not have patents on their levers, mirrors, etc. When Pazzo first started ripping off CRG (albeit in a far inferior way) I was talking with the CRG guys and they basically said that there wasn't much they could do as they had no patents. Shame really. All you can do is support the innovators and not the imitators.

*Just remembered that if you look at PSR's mirrors, they're copies of the CRG's as well.

7. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Makes sense.

I'm glad you post this stuff to bring it to everyone's attention. It's a horseshit practice doing what they are doing.

Not knowing what was going on someone like "me"(hypothetical newbie) when first getting into racing would be inclined to buy from a "new" group if someone didn't keep me informed of what they were really doing.

8. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

When you don't patent things you open yourself up for this stuff. Doesn't make it right but it is reality.

With stuff like this you just have to weigh the risk of not obtaining patents with it getting copied.

9. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

The only problem with your logic, is that you don't understand that a patent is useless with out the money and lawyers to defend it. If a product does not have the market to pay for the lawyers then the patent is worthless.

10. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

My logic is reality.

I understand exactly what a patent is and does. We've held them before for shipping containers and various related items we designed. The market value was discussed everytime we considered the patent process. Some things we didn't patent because it just wasn't justified by the potential of the market other things it was worth it. If you don't like the value of the market then don't be a part of it is basically the way it has to be looked at.

11. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Powerstands. :down:

12. sdg

sdg *

Heard a story about SEMA once...

Company A has product on display at the start of the show. Company B does not. Two days later Company B has identical product, apparently "close enough" reversed engineered at the show.

Nice.

Copycats suck.

13. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I'm curious...did you make the Honda logo crooked on purpose? Sort of a branding thing? For example the slice missing from the O in Microsoft.

14. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Look at the photos on the two websites and you will understand. I was wondering the same thing until I saw the pics. ;)

15. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

I will just add that a company and people who show a lack of integrity in one area probably have it in others. Stealing designs may mean cutting corners in manufacturing. Remember that the next time you go wheeling off in a 120mph corner with a "Powerstands Damper"

Friends dont let friends buy Powerstands.

this is my opinion ony and does not reflect that of any other person or entity.

16. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Nope, it was a mistake, and one that was already thru production before I realized it, that is what happens when you are working with pre-production parts and trying to make machining and tooling profitable.....The PSR is a direct copy, including my mistake.

17. runfromme

runfromme Well-Known Member

Pazzos'? :D

18. G 97

G 97 Garth

:stupid:

Who buys from them. They must get some business, but why would anyone support them after knowing how they leach off of good companies designs and products. Why would anyone support these D-bags.

19. G 97

G 97 Garth

You should design something else and scribe "PSR sucks" and see if they copy it. :D

20. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

LOL...the accidental mistake that creates a tell tale sign it was copied. Nice! :up: