N-Tech Tire Wear

Discussion in 'Tech' started by theJrod, May 3, 2009.

1. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

I personally can't feel the difference when flipped, but I'll be keeping close eye on wear as I flip them throughout the season now (I usually race on new tires, then flip 'em for trackdays, but this time I did the opposite). I'm not super fast though... but not super slow either -maybe 6 seconds off track record.

2. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

^^ good info. any experience with flipping GP-A's? i'll probably be switching to them since 211 mint take-offs which used to be abundant 'round these parts are slowly disappearing and now the GP-A's are the only ones that are really available :( . i've heard the GP-A's SHOULD NOT be flipped from one person, but that they can be from another. also, have you tried the GP-A's? if so, how do you feel they compare with the 211's?

3. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

The one guy I knew who tried them was *not* happy with the rear. Said the front was ok.

4. KFG_Racing

KFG_Racing New Member

It is the compound JRod, you had 2 days at Thunder Hill before you came to the lovely Pacific Raceways. Your tires looked new from Thunder Hill, the Dunlops (7704) wear very good there. The (6680) rear will hold up excellent at PR when it is under 70 degrees, tire will not cold tear. As for flipping the tire, the tread will wear a little funny, but grip is the same. Mike Sullivan set the track record at Portland last season on a flipped rear (7680) compound and the tire still looked good. The compounds we have this season are new, so I was having to guess what was going to work for the colder conditions.

Last season the we had (7483) med, then it turned into (7680) new med, both of those worked awesome in colder conditions. This year the (7704) is the new med, but is slightly softer than the last years. The (6680) is more like the (7167), which is a med plus. The (6680) worked excellent at Portland last weekend, tire looked new after a race, Portland has been tough on tires, just like Miller. So, if you race at Miller, and you run Dunlops, run the (6680) rear. Hope this helps you out.

5. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

KFG in the house.

6. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Werd! Hope you have some free time. :crackup:

7. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Talk about a ton of info right there! :beer:

(damn I forgot to get you beer last weekend)

8. Bad Dog

Bad Dog Well-Known Member

KFG FTW, :beer:

I flip my DOT's all the time and they never look like that, so it must be as you say, the wrong compound.

9. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Where is the compound indicated on the side of the tire? I can't seem to find it on my tire.

10. theJrod

Awesome, thanks! Better get a set of slicks in 6680 ready for me. :up:

11. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

OH SHIT! I got B-Dub on here! Guys, this guy is a GOD with suspension/setup and dunlops! seriously.

Barry, i dont think flipping is bad, but i do think it wears out faster and also people forget that the tires compounds change when you flip/run them a few times due to the heat cycles.

I say just buy A TON from barry! :)

The 6680 ROCKED at PIR this weekend! Might be my new fav! the 7704 i think will be great once the track temps come up. Just my view from the dyno room :)

12. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

BTW: HUGE props to Barry for recommending that 6690 to Rower...he rocked it on our R6 and man the tire looked BRAND NEW after 12 hard laps coming from DEAD LAST to 2nd place! Thanks Belly Wressell!!

13. KFG_Racing

KFG_Racing New Member

Another person to contact about compounds is Gabe Smith at STS. When I get stuck, I bounce stuff off him. Working at the AMA with the Dunlop crew has been been a big help over the years. The tire engineers are there and super cool, cutting tires in half, looking at the guts, learned alot from those blokes! WMRRA this weekend, track record should fall, contigency $ on the line.

14. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Its gonna rain. :Poke:

15. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I hate how compliated Dunlop is on their compound numbers. My folder of tires notes is getting full :crackup:

16. theJrod

Yeah, but I'll still take Dunlop's way over Pirelli's. With them it's SC1, SC2, etc. On the surface it seems easier, but what if they make a running update to the SC2 compound? How do you know if you're getting the newer/better tire?
    Dunlop's always changing their stuff which is cool, and at least you can write the code down with your notes.

17. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

i agree- dunlop's method makes precise identification of tires possible. it allows for the tracking of the development of the tires as well. dunlop also provides heaps of easy-to-access and useful information on their website which is nice (suggested pressures and precise measurements of tire diameters for example).

18. DLSGAP

DLSGAP Addicted to Track

Ok I have a stupid question that has gone unanswered on many forums... So we have the pic of what cold tear and hot tear look like.. and the suspension related issues... so whats it supposed to look like if pressure, compound, temps, etc are all magically aligned with the moon and venus etc.. .

I've had some varied results playing with pressures on different tires. Since I'm only doing track days now and not racing, i've been running the PP 2CT in the upper 20's hot... usually 29f, 28r depending on the track surface and so far I'm happy with my grip in ideal weather, but i want to make sure i'm getting the most out of them that I can

19. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

It's supposed to look smooth, basically. There'll be a little bit of balling up of rubber as it gets hot, but it should look very even - you shouldn't be able to pick out distinct regions that look different from one another.

20. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I'll take a photo of my rear which is the exact same tire JRod showed. Other than a little rebound problem and HUGE chicken strips...it looks like what it is supposed to look like.