BE CAREFUL riding on the road...Bicycle.

Discussion in 'General' started by tonybrownphoto, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I actually totally agree with you on this. I've got no problem given someone on a bike room. I have issues when they expect more rights than a car/motorcycle. I have issues when they're going up a hill 2-3 wide doing 10% of the speed limit and other basically rude things.

2. Umm don't matter which brand road bicycle you buy...the tires run at the same pressures. I can go buy a Honda tomorrow and a Suzuki the next day and they run the same pressures...same thing here. Like I said...I'd gladly ride on a bike path if it was designed for bicycles, roller blades, skate boards etc. A regular side walk will butcher as set of bicycle wheels. Not to mention the asshat drivers that throw their beer bottles out their windows...like Joe Morris said...the paths we do have are not clean enough to ride on.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, I totally agree.

4. Smokes35

Smokes35 Well-Known Member

not a single to "Swerve and Protect" joke???

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I see it everyday. Along with joggers jogging 3 and 4 wide on the pavement next to the perfectly good 6 miles of sidewalk in the technology park around where I work.

6. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

I didn't realize that you find it hard to believe that bicycles have rights to ride on the highway just like a car does.

Don't get me wrong. I think bicycle should ride on the edge of the road but cars should give them at least 2 feet when they pass. It's really not that hard for everybody to get a long and share a road the BOTH paid for.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Um, seriously, we were talking bike paths. You changed that to prove your point. You chose to ride a road bike. You chose to ride one with tires that are fragile. I used to ride the hell out of my Sears special 10spd over jumps and through the woods with tires at 100psi and never had a blow out unless I hit a nail. A regular sidewalk will only butcher special wheels that can't handle it. I know there are wheels out there that can, you however choose to buy something else. Your choice. Not mine.

8. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

:stupid:

My hubby is a good cyclist and obides by the laws...I expect others to do the same so some prick who wants to take it out on one cyclist doesn't choose my husband to pull that on.

9. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

We ride on the Silver Comet Trail and have never had an issue with stuff on the trail. That place is awesome to ride on.

10. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

Just to be clear here. I think for the most part people ride single file on the white line........or at least they do where I ride.

However, times to happen when people pull up beside each other to chat or say something. If a car is coming we quickly fall back in single line. Cars that are used to cyclist usually get a quick honk as they are approaching and we fall back in line before they get there.

Single file is the norm but I can see where you could come up on 2 or 3 wide from time to time.

11. Huh really...that's pretty funny. I didn't know that cars/motorcycles/trucks etc. were mandated by some governing authority to go faster then what is posted on the side of the road just because it is capable of doing so. You know the same signs that are paid for with our tax money that sits along the side of the very same road you pay taxes on. I pay taxes in this county and I don't have any bike paths to ride on.

I'm one of those guys who make it a point to make sure I am over as far as I can when I hear a car approaching. In fact I am contantly turning my head so that I know if there is a car approaching 1/4 mile up the road...so I know where I need to be on the street. Even when no cars are coming I'm still on the white line or to the right if there is room. Only time I will go side by side with someone is if there are no cars insight and we are communicating then we go back single file. Sorry it's hard to hear if someone is talking in a single file line when you have wind blowing past your ears.

12. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

Exactly

13. Venom51

I have never heard of this place. Perhaps I should come drive there as in cyclist land we are all the same and should have the same access to all the same places to ride, drive and walk.

14. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

the laws are the laws. for anyone who doesn't like the fact that cyclists do have SOME right to the road...tough shit. go whine to your local politicians. guess what? you don't have to like it...but I legally am allowed to be riding there.

having ridden on and off for 2 decades, trust me...cars win, we get it...enough with your attitude about bikes 'not belonging out here'...it's old and extraordinarily ignorant.

15. :crackup: I'm guessing your wheels looked nice and round too huh? I'm not saying that our wheels can't handle it, they can, but we'd also be tuning them back in straight after every ride. Not to mention when was the last time you rode 25+ miles on a side walk Mongo? If you did that on a rode bike on a side walk your ass would be so sore you'd probably never do it again...course you have a lot more cushion back there.:D

16. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

oh and the "cyclist's have a sense of entitlement" argument is pathetic...do a number of riders think their special? sure...but being hateful to an entire group due your opinion of a few is just silly.

fwiw...no cyclist I'm aware of has ever said "I'm equal to a car"...so enough with the "well then cars should be able to drive on bike paths" ridiculousness.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I never said they didn't have rights. You've got to actually read what I type not get on your high saddle and start getting pissy because you thought someone talked bad about bicycles.

FWIW - the cars are still paying a LOT more for the road than the bicycles. Same as trucks on the interstates.

18. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Again - get over your issues with cyclists since they don't make the laws. It would be different if the law specifically stated no cycling on roads, but it doesn't. Don't take it out on cyclists because the law allows them on the roads with you.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Silver comet trail sound familiar? You don't need to ride on a sidewalk. Not to mention there are no sidewalks I know of within 20 miles of me other than downtown Canton and maybe Bridgemill.

You really need to work on your excuses too - truing your wheels isn't a viable one.

20. Venom51

in the distance the sound of a small child is heard crying.......

What's more ignorant spending 3000 bucks on a bike that can't handle being ridden over the expansion joint in a sidewalk or telling someone in a 6000 lb. truck you are going to own your right to use the roadway.