Dungeon demographics: the God poll

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by HPPT, Apr 14, 2008.

?

Which answer best reflects your beliefs?

1. I know there is a God.

88 vote(s)
    37.8%
  2. I think there is a God, but I could be wrong.

22 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. I really have no idea.

33 vote(s)
    14.2%
  4. I think there is no God, but I could be wrong.

51 vote(s)
    21.9%
  5. I know there is no God.

39 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Ewwwww.:Puke:

2. firstcherokeeki

firstcherokeeki Rides like a girl!

I found this thread very interesting. I would not consider myself a religious person by any means but I am a very spiritual person. I do not attend any church nor do I plan on it. I believe the concept that was to live by has been so twisted through out the centuries. There is a certain way man should live and certain things a man should do. I live my life as best I can. Help people that need my help, never steal, I do not lie if I can help it. I try my hardest to be a forth-rite person. I believe in a lot of things that will not allow me to classify myself as a Cristian or a catholic or by any other religious standard. But I will tell you this. I believe there is a higher being and that there are consequences for all of our actions be them right or wrong. Maybe its because I am getting older that I see the world for what it really is and that I have enough faith in myself and my beliefs that I trod my own path no matter how painful or long. I think I will end this on the best quote I have read in many years about religion.

" Why have we followed this law you speak of for untold ages! We owned nothing, because everything is from the Creator. Food was free, land as free as sunshine and rain. Who has changed all this? And yet he says he is a believer in God! He does not seem to inheirit any of the traits of his Father, nor does he follow the example set by his brother Christ."

And one of the best

"We do not want churches because they will teach up to quarrel about God"
    Chief Joseph Nez Perce (1840-1904)

3. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Bring your mind up a couple of notches. Jerk pork is a type of barbecue in Jamaica. (Of course, I may have not been talking about that though) :)

4. charles

charles The Transporter

Not everyone be understandin' di 'Rasta way!

5. charles

charles The Transporter

We call you now 'Rasta Orvis!
    We be survivin' in Babylon.

6. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Werd. I guess that makes us a 4.9ish. :D

7. charles

charles The Transporter

In my case, even as a youth, I did not experience the church (I attended) attempting to nourish anyone's intellect, and as I studied religion as I grew older, I did not find evidence that stimulating intellect was the purpose of organized religion, in fact, quite the opposite was true: to extinguish man's desire to question and think seemed to be the primary driving force. Well, I suppose it's my own peculiar personality at play...ask me, invite me, want me to join in for a good cause and I'm your man, but tell me that I must, force me, threaten me, deceive me, or attempt to stifle me, and you've lost my loyalty forever, not to mention putting me on permanent red alert.

8. T*A*R*MAC*

T*A*R*MAC* Wheelie Happy!

I went to a Catholic school from first grade to eight grade..My family wasn't really religious, I attended church once a week in school, and had religion class. I'll just say that the more i learned about that religion, the more I thought it was rediculous... I'm open to whatever anyone wants to believe, God, no God, 37 Gods... but personally I think of religion as more of a "political party"... that it was developed and made up as a way to govern people by giving them a set of rules, guidelines, and examples. The party even had a physical leader, a "cabinet", opposition, followers,and "laws"(commandments).

:eek: :wow: :tut:

9. charles

charles The Transporter

God spoke to me last night whilst I was outside
    rolling up the windows of my Ford...in a deep, yet
    gentle voice, God clearly told me to post here
    tonight and tell everyone:

"There was an 11th Commandment: Never post
    anything about Me on the WERA BBS."

10. Hater

Hater Well-Known Member

For those who “know” there is no God, I’m always curious. . . when you see a house in the middle of construction, with no one around, do you show your child a stick and say, “look at what this stick has evolved into?” I’m guessing not, because you “assume” that although you don’t see the workers, or the plans, you know that someone has designed and is building the house.

How can someone look at humans, who have such an amazingly complex system of nerves, blood vessels, body systems, and whose thoughts, feelings, actions differ so much from person to person and “know” that there is no designer? There are billions of people on this planet, past, present, and future, and all are slightly different. No two brains work exactly the same; yeah, on the scientific level they may be the same, this part controls this, this part controls that, but each person given the same set of circumstances will view and react differently. And then there are billions of other living organisms on this planet who vastly differ from species to species. How can you “know” that this is an accident, a mere coincidence?

11. charles

charles The Transporter

Oh hi, errr..."Hater"! It is i, Charles...who said anything was an 'accident'? For many, it is a quantum leap from observing what you describe, to the proposition that all of what you describe was made by some 'gigantic hand in the sky' or by some 'force' outside of our understanding. Indeed, it is a mystery, all of what you wrote...how will we ever find out how it all cranked up? No one knows shit, to be truthful, it is all guessing...

12. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I just wanted to quote this because I agree 100%. And I wasn't raised in a religious household, so when I began exploring religion and asking questions, it's amazing what kind of answer's "religious" people will give when you start asking the hard questions.

Great thread.

13. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Its called science.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I am a 3.5 on the scale (although I would chose #4 over #3 if I have to pick one) but I still want to comment on this: I have seen workers build a house before. I have never seen God make a person. I am not saying he didn't, but...

15. charles

charles The Transporter

Where is "Hater"?:confused:

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I'm going to regret jumping into this one but......you didn't see the Big Bang either (at least not so far as I know).:D

17. charles

charles The Transporter

:eek:
    Ha- you're toast!

Some 'experts' think that our universe is moving 'apart' every day, so
    in effect, we are continuing to watch the "Big Bang" (theory) every day...
    even if we can't tell anything from what we see. :eek:

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Maybe we are moving toward something. Maybe we are subatomic particles in a larger being and haven't figured it out yet. Too big a leap for me.:D

19. charles

charles The Transporter

Some now say we are actually a virtual reality game being played by
    things we don't know about yet and never will.

No atomic submarines for me, thanks.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

:wow: Casby was right.....pixels on a screen.