ZX6R and the Factory Pro Star Detent?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Taylspin, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Taylspin

Taylspin Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experience with this? Does it help make the bottom end a little more durable. Any opinions are appreciated. Looking for info on whether it is worth $150. Thanks

2. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Not with the Kawa, but they work great in everything else I've used them in.
    Much more positive shifting with no overshift or partial shifts.

3. streetfight3r

streetfight3r Well-Known Member

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding my zx-6r transmisson, so the factory pro detent star is definitely going on. I have no experience with it, but I think that even if there's a slight chance of helping me keep this new transmission in tack, its worth the 150ish.

4. Tunersricebowl

Are you doing the work yourself?
    I gave up tinkering with gear sets on race bikes years ago (other than the odd gear or fork swap) and now I send all my stuff to R+D performance.
    They are a trans only shop and not only have in house heat treating but they make shims and spacer kits to prevent over-shift on Kawa's.
    They are always busy but they are the BEST and worth getting in line for.
    BTW, they can repair most damaged shift dogs if the gear/s are not cracked for less money than new bits PLUS the heat treat and undercut are much better/stronger than stock stuff.
    I've used them for 10 years with fantastic results.
    The names of the guys running their stuff would surprise you.
    Call them at 727-447-4552.

5. Trinity Rx7

Trinity Rx7 Well-Known Member

My 03 636 has that kit in it and it shifts smooth and I get no false neutrals. The guy I got the bike from crashed it going into a turn downshifting to 3rd and got a false nuetral. So after that day he took it to his engine builder and had the kit installed and he never had an issue again. And like I said I have had the bike for 2 years with no issues.

6. Taylspin

Thanks for the info. I am glad that it is all positive.

7. bongoray

bongoray Registered Lunatic

I put the kit in my 03' 636 and it didn't help much at all. I get false neutrals and mis-shifts still. I'm taking my tranny apart in the next few weeks. I'll let you know what I find.

8. Marc Salvisberg

Marc Salvisberg Uncommonly outspoken

Which gears?

Hi -

Which gears were you popping out of and how long was it popping out before you installed the kit?

If the shift forks were already bent and the gear engagement dogs were already rounded, the kit won't help much (but that would be problems specific to particular gears).

Also - I've seen variations on the Kaw 6r engine cases that allowed the pivot arm to squeeze the spring and bind it a bit. You can check for that visually and also by temporarily loosening up the pivot bolt and see if the detent arm moves more freely.
    If that's the case, then, an additional shim could be added to give the spring more side clearence.

There's at least 10 things that can make trans' shift poorly.

I used to do lots of transmission shimming, custom grinding thin shims and modifying gears. shift shafts, adjustable shaft centering studs (I still have those on our SV650 page), polishing, metal treating......

Marc

9. Tunersricebowl

Man, they let ANYBODY post.....

Hey Mark, Charles (in Austin) here....

10. Marc Salvisberg

Hio Charles! You still troubleshooting the unfathomable?? :)

Marc

11. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

The only problem with mine was the detent arm roller wore a groove in it. Must not be hardened like the stock pieces. Still shifts good, just the wear problem.

12. Marc Salvisberg

Give us a call - 800 869-0497 - they actually are heat treated! Well - at least everything after the preproduction units......

Thanks -

Marc

13. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

+1 to Marc. One of the ONLY guys I ACTUALLY LISTEN TOO! PERIOD! Have delt with him since 1994!! (not easy for him im sure..lol) The Detent Stars WORK! HOwever the 2003-2006 ZX6R/RR's trans are SHxT! If you have issues already it ain't called a "Factory Pro Shift Band aid" folks!

Marc..hope all is well! -EDR Eric ;-)

14. Tunersricebowl

Now I'm working on the downright stupid and unreachable...

15. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

Stunters? or Harley guys?

16. Taylspin

The bike kept falling out of 3rd gear. So, after tearing the tranny apart, it has been determined that 3rd should be replaced as well as the associated shift fork. We are ordering our detent stars soon, if not already. So I am hoping that the problem is fixed and the stars keep the shifts smooth from now on.

17. Tunersricebowl

Say what?
    The gear/s NEXT to the one thats "falls out" of gear also need relpacement as the wear pattern created by the dogs popping out of their slots ruins them as well....

18. Marc Salvisberg

Tunersricebowl is right.

Tunersricebowl is right.

The general rule is that that you replace the "gear that misses" and it's "dog mating gear" + the "missing gear's" shift fork.
    3 parts.

Take a look at the points in the slots in the shift drum, too - Sometimes the inside "point" gets chipped, and that won't push the shift for over enough - That's more common on a 2nd gear problem, though - but you should always look for all the gears.

Once you start staring at transmissions and forget you have a life, they are pretty simple...........

Marc

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  19. Tunersricebowl

I guess it would have to be Mark that brings up dog mating gear....(those guys on the left coast are strange).
    Oops, I just read my earlier post about dogs popping out of slots, Nevermind...

Happy News Year all....

20. Marc Salvisberg

It's all fine till someone gets hurt.....

Happy New Year!

M