450GP class for next year?

Discussion in 'General' started by BiZ, Sep 14, 2007.

1. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

The tech info I saw on the early articles said it does use a stock fuel tank, the "tank" on this bike is just a cover.

2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Cool. Thanks.

3. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Yea, I thought it looked stupidly flat and would just slide all over the place.

4. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

What's a brand new RS or TZ 250 cost? What's it going to cost to build one of these mx based 450's? I'm thinking less then 1/2 what a brand new 250 2 stroke costs.

It's like the guys who buy the diesels for the gas savings, forgetting that the extra 6-10 they just spent on the diesel could buy alot of gas.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We're doing a class at the Nationals next year. The bikes will basically be spec bikes, working out details now will post em when I've got em.

6. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

A new TZ is around $21K, and only two were shipped into the US last year.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Roland said today initial bikes due to limited quantities could be as much as $15k. I'm 99% sure that includes the dirt bike too but I didn't get a chance to talk to him more.

When I have some more time I'll list the mods but check out their site for now - http://www.450moto.com/

8. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

As of right now, if someone were to build one of those, what class' do they fit in. Clubman? any others?

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Clubman, bump up to F2 for now. If there is interest we'll look at their own class for regionals in 09. For 08 they will have their own National class replacing the HWT SS class. Possibly do qualifying for the Experts as well but not 100% sure, lot of details to work out still.

10. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Sweet. I have always liked the idea of true SuperMotard, but not realy keen on riding a dirt bike as a road racer. A dirtbike changed INTO a purpose built road racer sounds like a shit ton of fun though. Something I am deffinately looking into, even if it is not the spec bike like these, it has given me alot of ideas of what is required, and what is not to make it work

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The basics are - stock front end from a street bike by the same OEM, press in the dirt stem and use a spacer, everything else is stock. Rims, subframe, bodywork, rear shock. Stock dirt motor, frame, swingarm.

12. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

@ $15K they will be a novelty. @ $8K they would be like assholes.

13. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Stock motor??? That will cause some problems...as in reliability issues. I have been building these motors long enough to know better. JMO Tdub

14. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

fingers crossed that you all can pull it off...should be AWESOME!!!:up:

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Have you run them stock tho? :D

Seriously right now the plan is stock and react as we get more info on what will happen. This is NOT going to be a builders class or even SS spec. It will be as close as we can get to a spec class that incorporates all 4 of the major OEM's.

16. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Clubman will be the wildest grid now, with the usual assortment of mixed bikes, motards, and now 450GP's.

17. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

IMO, better aftermarket cranks, valve springs and valves should be allowed(original size). Not for a performance gain, but in the interest of reliability. These parts are the week links to sustained high revs. AMA Pro even discontinued running the 450s on the Mile dirt ovals because of the valve and crank failures. Granted they are 60 plus Hp motors, but to me spinning a stocker at a sustained 12 to 13,000 rpm is a scary thought. Allowing these mods will also be cheaper for the rider in the long run. Again, JMO Tdub

18. jimmyboost

jimmyboost one buck a boom

Stock rims? From the dirt bike or a street bike of the same oem?

19. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I agree, from my experiance with MX450's valves and cranks will need to be changed for these motors to live.

So how about letting the 125'S run also with this group?:D

Do you have to buy a bike prebuilt or can you build your own?

20. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

What about Aprilia, KTM etc... They don't get to play?