1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Dual Purpose Bike

Discussion in 'General' started by Duracell24, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Duracell24

Duracell24 Well-Known Member

I'm looking at getting a bike to do some on/off-road riding and wanted the opinions of those who are more knowledgeable than I...

I'm looking for an already street-legal bike (FL is nearly impossible to get off-road bikes street legal in) that I can use to get from my house to the vast forests of the local military range to do some off-road riding in (about 10 minute ride). I'm also looking to do an occasional morning asphalt ride, Blockbuster run, etc. I'd say I will be doing about 40% asphalt and 60% off-road riding.

I have no problem getting an extra set of rims to switch some tires back and forth if I know I'm only going to be hitting up one type of riding exclusively for a while.

My initial intent was the pick up a WR250X and get a set of 17/21 rims with knobbies on for the range riding stuff. I also have looked at the DRZ400SM's but just dont care for the looks of them. Recently I started looking at Huskys and KTMs and have started to really like them, especially with their bigger engine sizes.

Anyone have any experience with these bikes? Any recommendations? Is the 250 too small? (I weigh 190 and don't need to blow the doors off of anyone but dont wanna be super bored with the engine either) Are the KTM's and Huskys that much better than the Japanese bikes? Any specific Huskys or KTMs yall would recommend? (as they make about 8000 different options it seems)

Thanks a ton in advance for anyone who takes the time to write and help me out!

2. PoopsMcGee

PoopsMcGee Well-Known Member

CRF450X

3. eboos

eboos Slowski

Isn't that also a non street legal bike?

4. RENCRN8

RENCRN8 Fornicate Sailor Jerry

Honda XR650L, I own 2 of them!

5. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

DR-Z400s.

Bulletproof, quick enough with some common mods, cheap, great OEM and aftermarket parts availability.

I know you don't care for the looks of the -SM, and the -S isn't any better, but the dual sport group my buddy rides with has nearly 90% on a DR.

I had an DR-Z400SM and liked it, but just didn't use it enough. I also had Husky and KTM DS bikes, and while they were better off road and quicker than the DR, the OEM parts availability and cost frustrated the shit outta me. I waited 3 weeks for KTM clutch fibers, for example.

6. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Bulletproof.

7. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

KTM 450 or 525 SMR with an extra set of wheels.

8. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Mostly. Some top end oiling problems specifically scoring the center cam bearing area.
    Anyhoo, the DS world is a giant tradeoff, the bigger the engine, the better for road rides but the weight penalties make it worse offroad. I'd look for a middleweight. The DRZ are popular, and everywhere it seems. Stikes a good balance for someone just starting out
    Cheers, Lee S.

9. LordMDP

LordMDP ... ... ... ....

drz400

dr650

klr650

or a tagged XR650R

10. akillya

akillya TPL Racing Squadra Corse

This is simple a Ducati 1200 Multistrada! 150hp and dirt ready! Braaaaappp!

Honestly I would get the DRZ400S, what it lacks in style it makes up for in great trail handling and reliability. Parts are cheap and plentliful and any problem you have will be an easy fix with the number of forums dedicated to that bike.

11. noupf

noupf Well-Known Member

I agree.......any of those would be fine.

12. FatFarthing

FatFarthing Guest

i've been in your shoes.

only get the drz if you won't get on any off road tougher than 2 tracks. you get into anything technical and you'll hate it. i started my dual sporting on a 1996 dr350. electric start, air cooled, 6 speed predecessor to the curent drz. it was fun, but lacked any hooligan factor on the street, and really had trouble in tougher dirt stuff.

i settled on a husky te510 and then got some supermoto 17"wheels with the larger front rotor with caliper relocating bracket.

i'm in love.

13. Ryan Nelson

Ryan Nelson Well-Known Member

Add a WR250R to that list too - great bike. I've owned a plated DRZ400E model too. The DRZ can do technical stuff - more so than a DR650 or a KLR650. But its usually more about the rider.

14. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

15. RENCRN8

RENCRN8 Fornicate Sailor Jerry

16. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

Not a stalker, you just posted that thing everywhere... You got the ad up here yet?

17. FatFarthing

FatFarthing Guest

250 is not enough motor for street in my opinion. really struggles at 55 and up cruising to wherever you're going.

and i wouldn't even call the dr650 or the klr650 dual sports....they are adventure tourers. pretty much straight up street bikes that can MAYBE handle some dirt roads or logging roads. just don't tip that titanic over.

i owned a drz400 as a dirt bike. i thought it was fine...until i owned a yz250f for a dirt bike...then i realized what a pig the drz is in the woods.

my te510 will probably be replacing even the yz250f's duties....it's THAT good of a dirt bike. and with the supermoto wheels on it....holy shit monkeys it's fun.

18. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

Husky 510...it`s a capable dirt bike, you could do a hare scramble, enduro or dual sport with it & still ride it to work. Or, put some S/M wheels on & do a track day or race. PERFECT dual sport bike.

19. Duracell24

Duracell24 Well-Known Member

Is there a big difference between the Husky 510 and 450 besides the obvious? Is the extra 60cc well worth it?

20. FatFarthing

FatFarthing Guest

i was looking for either and didn't think it would make a difference. i think the 350, 450, 510 are all same block...so i did hear the 510 was pretty much the limit on the crank...450 might be ever so slightly more durable and not taxed out.