Who knew?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by edge23, Nov 23, 2008.

1. edge23

edge23 Well-Known Member

2. Super Dave

Super Dave Exhausted and Abused

That and potentially a lack of any recognition of what his stance on some issues are.

3. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

4. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I think I've said this before, but I'll say it again. Every once in awhile a person, or group, will come along that catches the attention of the population. Entertainment generally contribute the largest source of most of these people or groups. Obama is kind of like The Beatles, or Brittney Spears, etc. in that he is a hell of a charismatic person that excites people. Many people join the crowd just because of the excitement. Kind of the "join the crowd" mental attitude, if you will. A lot of Obama's votes came that way.

That's not to say that Obama doesn't deserve to be elected because he won the votes fair and square for whatever reason. He's our President now. It was his time to win.

How many people took the test linked in the article? I surprised myself and scored 82%. I'm pleasantly surprised.:up:

5. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

I think I've said this before, but I'll say it again. Every once in awhile a leader will come along that catches the attention of the population. Many people follow him just because of the excitement. Kind of the "join the crowd" mental attitude, if you will. A lot of Obama's votes came that way.

6. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

:confused:

Can't you think of something to write on your own?

7. morbidelli17

morbidelli17 Well-Known Member

One of my college professors once wrote a book on the media coverage of the civil rights demonstrations of the 1950s and 1960s. He spent some time in the South, doing what researchers do - hanging out in libraries and other places where historical records are found. In the course of doing this, he ran into many, many other researchers. And he was simply stunned at how many of them were still researching the Civil War. As my professor said, "It was as though if they kept researching it, the Southe eventually would win."

That's what these threads remind me of. If we keep reiterating the reasons Obama fooled us idiots, maybe McCain will suddenly emerge the winner! So far, Obama supporters have been either dumb, naive, star-struck, ignorant of the process of governance, etc.

How about this for a reason Obama won?

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/nation_finally_shitty_enough_to

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Obama won because he got more votes.

9. morbidelli17

Don't bring logic into this!

10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The American voter elected George W. Bush twice. As a whole its quite possible we are all idiots.

You get your bailout check yet?

:D

11. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

It's as good a reason as any. :up:

12. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Got my check, spent the hell out of it, and the economy is still in the tank.
    I don't understand this at all. :)

13. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I'm not knocking your Professor with my reflections, just making an observance. Did he ever think that all those people researching the Civil War were people that were actually trying to learn about the Civil War? It's a very interesting part of our history. In fact, the more that we know about it, and the more people that know something about it, the less likely it is that it will occur again.

On the same note, if we keep ignoring how dumb the average voter is maybe it'll make our decisions look better. :D

14. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

That's actually a good question. I was on the IRS site yesterday and according to them $266 Million worth of the "stimulus checks" were returned.

15. edge23

edge23 Well-Known Member

I am not posting it in the hopes that McCain gets reelected. The point of posting is that whatever side of the aisle you vote from is paramount that you at the very least understand what we are founed upon, what are the functions of gov't in each branch and how to use them to their fullest. Which means many thngs to many people but in the end its all in our best interest that all voters are clear on civics. Thats all nothing more and nothing less. Obama is my president I am alright with that even though i didn't vore for him he is stil my CiC.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  16. morbidelli17

Absolutely. How else do you explain American Idol?

I think that these surveys that show that McCain or Obama voters are smarter or dumber than average are simply trivia tests designed to produce a pre-conceived result. As a snot-nosed punk once said to Dilbert, "Oh, I see. What I know is trivia, but what you know is knowledge."

I think a depressingly small number of Americans, Republican or Democrat, understand how government works, what it is supposed to do, or how to best create the results they want from their government. And you can survive quite well in our culture without knowing that.

In case I'm not clear, I'm including myself in the idiot category if we're talking about running the U.S.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  17. pucksdown

pucksdown WERA #9

78%.. Average again...

18. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

You make good points. As society progresses, more and more people get caught up in the technology of today's environment, and forget what makes us tick, and I doubt that it will ever turn back around. Don't sell yourself short though, there is still a number of us out here in the world that are on these "useless" BBS's discussing world events and learning something as we go along.

We, of course, will be the savior of the world around us. :up:

19. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

79%...and I actually learned a few things.

20. Jed

Jed mellifluous

87.88%