Painting my bike (The plastic and tank)

Discussion in 'Tech' started by BReyes, Aug 27, 2008.

1. BReyes

BReyes Well-Known Member

Paint job begins (black enamel single stage and then go from there). Do you have any links to good paint projects?

First question is do I need adhesion promoter on primer and paint?

Sanding starts asap. i am experienced with painting bikes, but old school bikes years ago without any fairings (ah yes, have good memories of the candy blue over silver lacquer I put on a bike years ago).

Thank you.

Regards

2. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

There is a long thread on this topic....

believe it is in the tech section.... search button is your friend...:D

3. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Skip the single stage enamel and use a modern 2-stage color/clear coat combination.

And yes you need primer. Stop at the local auto paint store. Tell them you are a noob and want to paint your race bike. They'll help you out.

4. mineshaved

mineshaved product of my enviroment

the only time i use adhesion promoter is on raw plastics..

5. BReyes

BReyes Well-Known Member

do you use adhesion promoters on primer, paint, or both

Not noob. Painted dozens of cars alones, and two bikes. I have used 2 satge paints. Am painting a 911 presently. The best 2 stage PPG clear alone costs 199 gal (or so the supplier closest to the car says-haven't shopped around). I have black SS.

I always like to coroborate with my online friends.

Its the adhesion promoter I am interested in inquiring whether necessary. I appreciate all your responses.

6. BReyes

BReyes Well-Known Member

The primer is sticking well :) (lots of wet sanding with 400 and lots left still) ...

7. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

What primer are you sanding?

8. BReyes

BReyes Well-Known Member

Its a rattle can type from professional auto paint supply (goes for about $14 ea).

9. gahooligan

gahooligan Well-Known Member

If you sand/scuff it, you can just spray sealer then paint it. Above mention of raw plastic is correct. Paint HATES raw plastic for some reason... And straight primer doesn't like it either... Don't ask me how I found THAT out...

Good luck.

Matt in GA

10. gahooligan

gahooligan Well-Known Member

BTW - base/clear is the way to go. Thinner coats, more flex, easier to tape custom paint jobs with.. regardles of cost.

My local paint shop will usually give me cans of mixed paint that customers never picked up.

11. BReyes

BReyes Well-Known Member

Black Porsche color PPG color coat clear coat (hardner in the clear). Sprayed a quart of black on all the pieces. HVLP gun. Came out ok, have to wait for buff/polish to say its done. Here comes the color sanding. Deciding on any lettering or stripes. No orange peel is primary project on to do list. Have to respray one fairing that blistered in a couple small spots. I set it in the sun and should have let it dry in the garage maybe. All other pieces are good. Adding more clear to tank as precaution for color sanding to come.

I will be in Sebring (12hrs gates open Wed), so no work on it for a while.

12. Dissevered

Dissevered Well-Known Member

I rattle canned my whole bike and it looks pretty good. I am pretty sure primer is only needed if you are spraying on something other than paint. I had to use bondo on some of my parts to repair cracks therefor used primer.

I also never had a problem with primer sticking to any plastic, metal, or bondo.

13. Dissevered

oh and as for any blistering, don't paint in direct sunlight or dry in the sun, don't paint when it is extremely humid or cold, and make sure the part you are painting is 100% dry and clean.

14. BReyes

BReyes Well-Known Member

After many hours of prep work all the F3 plastic peices (windscreen is unpainted) were completed.

Every paint job I have ever done has been in extreme humidity. The sun is how paint is dryed done here. Kidding. I have used down draft booths with an oven and that is the best. As per the above blisters yes I was in sundrying/priming get er dun mode. That didn't work. But looks awesome (all assembled now) and I haven't yet begun to color sand buff.

The bike is all black. Practically looks invisible :).

Pics soon.

15. Dissevered

nice, good job. hurry up with the pics :P

16. tooblekain

tooblekain Member

You can try the high density foam roller method. I did it to the lower section on my race plastics...it came it out great.

17. TROX

TROX I'm Rider D.

Ditto. Lets see how she looks.

18. BReyes

BReyes Well-Known Member

Took bike apart after first assembly and took some pics. Needs to be buffed next...

Took bike apart after first assembly and took some pics. Needs to be buffed next...

Attached Files:

19. BReyes

BReyes Well-Known Member

lil paint lots of work...

Attached Files:

20. BReyes

BReyes Well-Known Member

Attached Files: