1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enclosed trailer aerodynamics-now fuel is so expensive?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Bad Dog, May 1, 2008.

1. Bad Dog

Bad Dog Well-Known Member

I have a 7x12 enclosed trailer with dual wheels and tow with full size vans, it sticks out at the sides and top of course. At aprox 60 mph, you feel the resistance, its like towing a brick wall.

Without making custom skirts for the van, how do those fiberglass noses work that can be added on? I should have bit the bullet and bought it when I got the trailer but money was tight. Anyone know if they really work?

Thanks for any input.

2. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

I've been wondering the same thing ever since I bought my enclosed trailer. I had thought about the nose cone, but alot of people are saying that that the drag is created at the rear of the trailer instead of the front. From the way I understand it, drag is created as air fills the void behind the trailer as it is pulled. I'm thinking about trying some things called Airtabs. The website is www.airtab.com . They direct the air around the rear of the trailer somehow. I figured it up and it would cost me about $90 to do my trailer with the airtabs as opposed to the $500 it would cost me for a nosecone.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  3. limy_1

limy_1 Crash Starter

Both the nose cone and some type of rear air deflection work on reducing the drag.

First the trailer has to break the air causing a airdamn in front of it you are pushing.
    Next at the back of the trailer is a void that the air is trying to fill creating a vacum effect, ever draft anyone.

Pay attention to the Semi's on the E-way.
    Most have some type of deflection for the air either on the truck, trailer or both in the front.
    Then there is at least one car hauler company that has trucks that are skirted between the truck & trailer and then have a rounded tail on the trailer to help the air slip back to fill the void created by the rig.

4. Bad Dog

Nice link, :up:

One guy claims 9 mpg increase on his Dodge Dually. They don't list a cost but I am interested for sure, I could do the van and the trailer. The nose cone is almost a $1000 here, :(

5. CuStOm

CuStOm OMRRA Racer

I bought a 6x10 with only the 5'9" internal height so it would slipstream behing my Tundra. Works very well compared to my old setup. I'm only 5'7" so I don't have to worry about hitting my head. :)

6. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

I looked at the air tab website and can understand a benefit between the truck and trailer if the trailer is bigger/wider/taller than the truck: but at the back I think the tabs would make the wake [drag] BIGGER, not smaller....

7. Bad Dog

I think the issue with that is, the air creates a vortex behind the trailer which will cause a vacuum so to speak, basically pulling the trailer or in laymans terms, a boat anchor. Thats the way I understand it or I could be wrong, :p

8. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

Goto www.aircraftspruce.com/

Spend about $100 or so for a couple of blocks of polystyrene foam, some resin, some fiber glass, a bunch of sand paper and a weekend's worth of beer.

Rough up the upper front of the paint on your trailer and glue the foam blocks and put a couple of long sheet metal screws thru the frame into the foam. Carve the foam into a more aerodynamic shape. Wet the finished shape with epoxy and then lay one or two layers of the glass just to give it some bird and rock impact resistance. Once that tries give it another coat of epoxy, and then sand it all smooth. Paint at will.

Best thing about it is that you can be creative and make it any shape you can think of... ;)

9. gixxersmitty

The tabs are $2.50 a piece. You can buy kits of 80 for $200. For the sides of my 6x12 I figured it up to need roughly 40 tabs.

10. Bad Dog

I would do the van and trailer. If I get another 2-4 mpg, they've paid for themselves in a few tanks of fuel, :up:

11. gixxersmitty

They would be worth it to me if the trailer just felt like it was easier to tow. I plan on getting them as well. I'm going to buy enough to do each side and if I can tell a difference I'll get some more to go across the roof.

12. Bad Dog

When you get them, post back up here, I am going to call the guy today and probably order some.

13. gixxersmitty

Sounds good. You'll probably beat me to it though, I'm chipping away at the credit card bill for the last 2 races.:D

Lets just say whoever does it, post your results. :up:

14. Bad Dog

No problem. I can't really afford to buy them either as I am buying rotors for the bike and maybe a new front end but the fuel savings has me salivating, :beer:

15. A_Town17

A_Town17 Addicted

I really wanna see some results on these. I'm definitely considering them as well.

16. gixxersmitty

I hope they work great and I hope everybody gets them. The more money saved on gas means more money to race. :up:

17. Any update on these?

Results?

18. gixxersmitty

I was gonna get some, but I crashed my bike at Nashville so my cash went for bike repairs. :D I'm going to try and get them after I pay for my parts.

19. I might just have to try them. They seem like they would help...or maybe they just have good advertising.

Seeing how im getting about 10mph hauling my trailer, im willing to try ANYTHING.

20. gixxersmitty

I'm in the exact same position myself. I'm definately going to get them, there are just a few other things on my priority list that I need first.