1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZX400

Discussion in 'General' started by G Dawg, Feb 1, 2023.

1. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

2. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Honda tried that 34 year ago, great bike that almost no one bought.

3. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

So I know it's not really a fair comparo but....

Ninja 400 vs ZX4R:

Ninja is 25lbs lighter (390lbs vs 415lbs), same peak torque (26ft lbs) but reached at a MUCH lower RPM, costs 80% less ($5,700 vs $9,700), and both have a steel frame.

No peak HP figures listed but I'd guess the ZX4R is gonna be what - 65 at the wheel vs 48ish.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Different times. Those bikes don't make great street bikes unless you're pretty hard-core. But with the number of people having access to track days nowadays, I bet it's a lot more attractive to a lot more people.

stk0308, Razr and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  5. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

....In a class where 3-4hp matters. Yep, here comes the ringer!

6. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

They had me at 4cyl 400

They lost me at $10k

RichMangus, flewid, ToofPic and 4 others like this.
  7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't understand why people expect the cost of a competent 400 to be 40% of the cost of a 1000. If you put quality components on it, it's going to cost damn near as much.

8. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

To refresh memories: FZr400s were more expensive than 600s. Just like FZr750s were pricier than the 1000.

9. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

TBH, $9699 ain't bad if you're buying it to race, theres so much less you have to upgrade, and some things you just can't. USD fork and twin disk? Yes, please! Ya it's 'just' a 400 to most, but for the people that have drank the ULW Kool-Aid, oh baby....

Anyone that feels their suspension just has to be gold... well, please send the 'take off junk' over to me!

Sudowoodo and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  10. SpeedWerks Racing

FWIW, Moto Jew,,(moto2imports.com) has sold @ 5 of them here, @10K++ in the last 6 months,,,

11. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

What class? As far as WERA wouldn't this be mainly a Clubman bike? Better hope no Kramers show up...
    If you're talking a sales "class" for streetbikes, sure

stk0308 likes this.
  12. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Not if this bike cost basically the same as the zx6r sitting next to it on the showroom floor. Have you met any of these track day people? Without a tiered licensing system its not gonna fly off the shelves. If there is a spec racing class for it there will be a chance a few will buy them. I hope they sell like hot cakes lots but im doubtful.

969 and Razr like this.
  13. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Shops are discounting new 636 to under $10k???

14. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Sure hope it has a 3.50" front and a 4.50" rear wheel set up. From what I see the stock tires are 110/70 & 150/60 17s so maybe not?

15. SpeedWerks Racing

I 'think' they used most of the ZX25RR platform,Chassis,wheels, suspension, lump included, it has the same updates for 23, dash etc.
    We've sold a few of 250's (21+22's) at just over 10K recently. [​IMG]

G Dawg and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't think there is a guarantee that they will be successful. But they have a far better shot than 30 years ago, I think. People are still not going to want them for the street, that hasn't changed. But the truck option gives it a better chance.

And if it's good, word of mouth might convert some of the people riding 600s for ego management but who really can't do anything with them. Some might reconsider after getting smoked by a cool 400. :D

17. 418

418 Expert #59

For the price point it should have aluminum frame, proper swingarm, the whole nine.

Saying that, hopefully this kicks off a 400 in line four arms race and more manufacturers come to play.

I'd take a Yamaha.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yamaha seems to be grooving on building bikes from their triples and calling them Rwhatever. Just reading about the rumored R9.

19. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I've been looking forward to Kawasaki announcing this. Offered my dealer a deposit for one 6 to 9 months ago, so I'll get their first one.

Sabre699 and 418 like this.
  20. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

The article said 120/70 and 160/60.