You wanna know why utilities are so high.....?

Discussion in 'General' started by gapman789, May 23, 2024.

1. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

No less than 5 bucket trucks on my job today to remove a single guy wire that was inside the parking lot I'm doing. (concrete curb/islands)

1 truck, 2 men (probably only 1 could've done it), 10 mins of labor, and an adjustable wrench would have gotten the job done.

Not to mention, they were blocking my gravel trucks and equipment from coming in and out.

I had to get that off my chest before I start my 4 day wknd. :)

duke.jpg

2. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

In the game of Monopoly, utilities are valuable investments. For a reason...

TurboBlew, tony 340 and ToofPic like this.
  3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I can't bitch about my TNMP guys. They can't help what ERCOT fucks up, but when lightning struck the transformer on my rural pole, they were there within 3 hours, had me juiced 2 hours after that, and had laid down a plastic road so they didn't rut up my my yard getting to the pole.

While they were picking up the road sections, I brewed them a pot of Maxwell House in the Mr Coffee.

They were grateful. :D

gapman789 likes this.
  4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

No frothy espressos for them?:D

auminer likes this.
  5. Christopher Graybosch

Christopher Graybosch Well-Known Member

I work in water/sewer utility and from time to time we have to call power to hold a pole that we need to work around. Three guys, two trucks, all making more that 60/hr… to hook the boom truck to the pole and sit there for 5hrs while my guys work. Most mismanaged utility out there

unpopular opinion:
    Lineman and firefighters are not the hero’s everyone makes them out to be

rd400racer and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  6. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Take your business to the other power company...no...wait...:crackup:

jrsamples and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  7. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Maxwell House!!

9. Dave Wolfe

I saw in one of the finance sites the cost for the beans for instant coffee is going thru the roof. You are going to be forced into using high quality freshly roasted espresso beans whether you like it or not.

10. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Remember what he does for a living…and what his cup looks like.

[​IMG]

Mot Okstef likes this.
  11. Dave Wolfe

Hey are you sayin he puts his work collections into tea bags and u know..

Razr likes this.
  12. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I'll remember that if I ever need someone to run into a blazing inferno to save my ass.

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

This is why you need a generator and basic skills…

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  14. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

DTE energy has commercials in my area to promote how great they are..... yet I have no other choice on who to buy power from.
    The also have demolished coal plants that were perfectly functional for.......climate justice.

WHY THE FUCK are you showing me commercials with my own money when I have no other choice in who I purchase power from ?

Ann Arbor passed I think was a 1 million dollar study to get off of their grid and go independent.

15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

You want a real mans job? Go become a lineman! Nothing like getting a call at 2:00 am to go out and fix a downed line when is 20 below zero. I don't begrudge these guys from having a bit of "off time" when the going is easy. When it sucks it really sucks...they always seem to do a credible job of getting the power back on.

Jed and tony 340 like this.
  16. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

This is one of those “when you need it, you NEED it” things.

should 5 trucks show up? Probably not. But those guys would be sitting back at the yard getting paid anyways.

You also the guy complaining when they take a long time to bring power back after a storm? Cuz you can’t have both.
    It’s the same thing with fire trucks and ems. Sometimes there’s too many and sometimes there’s not enough.

17. brex

brex Well-Known Member

What about lazy concrete guys? You always have 5-6 just standing around leaning on something while one or two do the work.
    No wonder concrete installation jobs are so incredibly overpriced.

18. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Were they Irish coffees? :D

Mot Okstef likes this.