1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You Know How I Know You're Old.....reading glasses

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Mar 28, 2022.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I hit a new low in my life on Monday. Got a haircut and my dude trimmed my eyebrows like normal. Cool, no problem there. He then used the clippers to trim my ear hair!
    It stung my ego for some reason. :D

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

That must have been a low blow.

motion and BigBird like this.
  3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Have you got your wife shaving your back yet ? :crackup:

4. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I must say that in my younger years I couldnt f**king stand wearing safety glasses.

Now that my vision sucks I have them on all day. (UVEX perscription, and self tinting)

Gives me a good reason to fuck with the young guys now also.

BigBird likes this.
  5. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Barber trims your eyebrows :eek:

BigBird likes this.
  6. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

If I don't use readers while working at the computer screen (I'm a software developer) I begin to have ocular migraines. I've used 1.25's for probably 20 years. The last several years I've been using blue blocker readers that give additional protection against ocular migraines.

And the barber trims my eyebrows and ear hair. Get off my lawn.

I also figured out how to use my cell phone to read crap I couldn't read otherwise. I usually take a picture of it so I can zoom in on that and then toss it when I'm done with it. Works like a charm.

BigBird likes this.
  7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Fuckin' citizen right here. :beer:

8. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Turn 40 this year, and the eyes are pretty much the only body part that hasn't let me down yet. Everybody in my family wears glasses and always has. Mailman probably had perfect vision :D.

BigBird likes this.
  9. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I made it to my early 50s before needing reading glasses. I am at the +1.00 level. My eye doc said use them until I need the 1.25. The idea is to keep your eyes strong and not give them more help than you need, you’ll get too dependent on them and ‘could’ make your non reading glasses vision a bit less.
    So I just bought 1,000,000 pairs and have them scattered all over the house, garage, my truck, my briefcase.

BigBird likes this.
  10. Dan Dubeau

I do that with tape measures, and safety glasses. Eventually I wind up with 6 tape measures, and 9 pairs of safety glasses on my living room sidetable, and 2 pairs on my head. Wandering around looking for both.

11. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Yes! However, I’m a woodworker so my Dad always taught me to use the same tape measure from start to finish on any project since there may be slight differences between various tapes. You gotta understand, this man was a Master Machinist and lived in the world of 0.0001”, working in the medical device industry. He read “regular” tape measures in 1/32” and 1/64”, ;)

BigBird likes this.
  12. Dan Dubeau

Yup, I learned the same lessons and I'm also a machinist. When doing any carpentry or woodworking project I also use one, or try to. Most household stuff doesn't matter enough. I used to prefer story sticks for woodworking though but don't do much of it anymore.

I'd love to find a decimal tape :D. But for $5 like my other tapes because I'm also cheap lol.

BigBird and sharkattack like this.
  13. BigBird

BigBird blah

How far are your monitors? I was reading and they say readers are good for about 18". Did you have the lens setup for a further length?

14. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I didn't do any setup or anything. My monitors are more than arm length from my eyes, probably about 40". Seems like 1.25s are good at that distance. Anything stronger and I can't focus on it without getting a lot closer.

I use 1.75s for close up stuff like handheld tablets or phones. Using a pair now while typing this on a tablet.

15. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I've done this at at least 2 dozen restaurants before ordering

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I messed up my back, walking up the stairs, sneezing today while on the way to take a dump. Almost didn’t make it.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  17. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

I figured out $2 reading glasses trying to read a menu almost 20 years ago. Going back about 15 years ago, the girlfriend nagged me to get real glasses. At first I kept going back to have them adjusted because it felt like my eyelashes were hitting them. It turned out to be the eyebrows, so I started having them trimmed. Finally, Yoda syndrome set in, and the hair in the ears get trimmed.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't let them. I survived long enough to earn these things.

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

upload_2022-4-4_13-2-40.png
    I keep a pair of these in my wallet for those dimly lit restaurants that refuse to print menus with sufficient contrast to allow me to read the mouse print.

20. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Old family jokes have no place here!

(We decided my father was the milkman......)