1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yamaha-deegan-cheated-at-loretta-it-looks-very-suspicious

Discussion in 'General' started by 5axis, Aug 11, 2022.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I am not sure what we need to be in their version of the story to bring the cursor anywhere close to the center but it would probably have to include solving climate change and finding a cure for cancer. So I am not optimistic that they could sway me.

2. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

3. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter who did or said what. Rules are rules and if someone is stupid enough to show up with a bike full of unicorn piss in an amateur event with claiming rules then that's on them. Kid got screwed all the way around. Life isn't fair but that's bullshit.

cbush, Senna and noles19 like this.
  4. Agree, this possibly closed a few doors for the kid and that truly sucks. Maybe Mitch Payton will step up just to spite Yamaha. Maybe a 0.01% chance but hey, would make a good story.

5axis and SirCrashAlot like this.
  5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

So does the rulebook say that only a competitor can claim the bike? If so it's too bad, because I would've brought $18K in cash to buy that bike just to annoy people.

Boman Forklift and SirCrashAlot like this.
  6. Ok just watched the kids interview with Livesay.
    Observations:
    A- the kid has balls
    B- I not quite sure he was coached on the negative side of claiming a bike.
    It’s frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.
    C- BD did about what I’d expect. He’s looking out for the overall financial picture and I do truly believe he wanted to keep the bike as he has all their “last of the class” bikes.
    D- Moto X promoter guy was also trying to keep the people happy that make him the most money. I’m sure Deegan has improved his profit somewhat.
    E- hats off to the AMA. Sounds like they handled it professionally
    F- I obviously see Stars point as it’s not the actual bike it’s the bike being out in the publics hands.
    G- Whoever this string of Yamaha people are need to not be around the sport. From the dude who wouldn’t even shake the engine builders hand to the one that called the dealer in Canada. This obviously made its way through people at Yamaha away from the track. In 2 hours to boot.
    H- see G
    I- if Star was smart they’d have just offered the kid $50k or whatever to just buy the bike from him, offer to build him one close and make it up with whatever, spare motors, etc . Consider it a fine for being arrogant enough to think no one would dare claim your bike. That’s just one of the multiple ways they could have still remained professional and just made it go away.
    J- the kids going to have some backlash and doors shut on him, that’s for sure. It may open up some as well but who knows.
    K- Yamaha could’ve stashed a bunch of contraband of your choice in it, put a gps tracker on their camper, waited until they were about an hour from Canuckastan and called in a hot tip. Bike would be in govt evidence room until it’s obsolete, kid and dad get hemmed up. Bobs your uncle. :)
    L-Z- Yamaha, just wtf. If you ask me this is just one of the times ya hear about it in public, political pressure, threats, etc - general bullying by the big boys, happens. Not much different than say nascar where the Hendricks of the world get more info on the new car and sooner than the smaller teams. This is fact. I’m assuming it’s their way of keeping the teams who fill the grids with multiple cars happy.
    Still miffed about Yamaha guy refusing to shake the engine builders hand. I’m sure he didn’t believe him but doubt he even considered that the guy was telling the truth.
    I look forward to the Yamaha press release.

7. Yes it does. I was thinking the same and I’m not kidding. I’d throw $20k at it just to have it and all I’d do with it is crash test it around the house.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Rules are for the little people.

cbush, svracer22 and 5axis like this.
  9. G 97

G 97 Garth

More excuses and justifications for Yamahas and Deegans unprofessional and shitty behavior.
    Do you also have an MX podcast or YT channel? :D There is zero justification, zero.

cbush and backbone like this.
  10. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

I’m amazed FBK hasn’t joined in this thread.

11. G 97

G 97 Garth

He was disinvited.

12. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

bad PR for Yamaha for sure. Could be some legal ramifications depending upon what was told to the local dealership (and canadian laws).

The claiming rule is there specifically to keep shit like this from happening in the amateur ranks. I've been to LL for the big races. It's amazing the amount of money there. BUT in this case Yamaha got caught with their hands in the cookie jar and got called on it and got pissed. Bad form.

I can see NOT having a claiming rule in pro motorsports of any type. but in Amateur racing it's there for a reason. It should be enforced. As mentioned it sounds like the AMA did everything by the book and took the claim seriously, it is the other involved that should be ashamed of themselves and not promoting the sport. Have never met the Deegans and at this point my impression of them is pretty poor. It's not their bike, it's Star racings bike and they should have stepped out of it. If Star shows up with factory gear and it gets claimed, too bad, you play by the rules or you go home.

for those asking, you have to be in the race with the bike that you are claiming, so outsiders can't claim a bike, but I would be pretty happy if someone gives someone else cash to claim any Star racing bike that enters any future qualifier or LL race.

Or maybe they (big teams) will learn to not take factory bikes to LL races, as was the intent of the rule in the first place.

13. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

#fuckcoleforbes

Past Glory, Banditracer and G 97 like this.
  14. In Your Corner

If it's a fair rule and the factory and promoter used unfair means to punish the kid who wanted the rule enforced, isn't that unsportsmanlike behavior? Is it legal to bully another competitor in order to escape the bad effects of being held to the rulebook?
    It would seem to be unfair to let them just get away with it. Where does it end?

"Gee kid, it would be a shame if you beat our boy in that race and something were to happen to your sponsorship".
    Sounds very Mafia-like.

Boman Forklift and backbone like this.
  15. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

The "kid" wasn't even a top tier rider in that class, so even the Works Yamaha of Deegan's.....he wouldn't have won. He claims he just wanted to feel what it was like to ride it. Says he'd worked & saved the $ to "Claim" it so he could find out.

Is this all the truth....we don't know. I tend to side with the kid (Brendon) based on articles I've read, and videos seen.

Works Yamaha was about to be caught at whatever they didn't want let out, and known to the public. BS how the kid was treated behind closed doors. They should have asked Brendon they'd like to talk to him, AND his parents, not just pulled him in alone to discuss whatever they did, and at whatever level of intimidation they may, or may have not, used. You don't do that to a minor without the parents!

And, if Yamaha reps did this to the dealer sponsoring the kid, and the dealer then dropped the kid....well, F'em all!! I do understand how the dealer sponsoring the kid kinda got caught up in the middle, but dang....stand up for the kid and themselves.

Boman Forklift, G 97 and MELK-MAN like this.
  16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I want to believe he's telling the truth but even if he is not, he doesn't need to justify himself or his actions. Claiming that bike for espionage or financial purposes is just fine with me. Yamaha should not have put themselves in that position. They were getting what they deserved when he claimed that bike.

17. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

If the kid is lying then he is extremely well coached because he didn't waver from his story at all when he kept getting pressured.

18. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

19. In Your Corner

To clarify, I wasn't suggesting that the claimant could have won that particular race, I was pointing out the next possible step sometime in the future if riders are allowed to be pressured by the factory in that fashion when they are following the rules.

If the rule is so bad that anyone who claims is made to suffer by the other racers/teams and if that behavior is allowed to take place then why not just get rid of the rule? But if you are going to keep the rule then it's just wrong to stand back and let the rules process be abused this way.
    CB wrote an essay about why the miscreants did the wrong thing, but none of that justifies their actions since most of it had to do with the factory not being held accountable for doing the wrong thing which is the whole purpose of the rule in the first place.
    I mean, is it a rule or just a semi-rule?

cbush likes this.
  20. G 97

G 97 Garth

Precisely. It doesn’t matter if the kids engine builder or any person X fronted the kid the money in order for him to file the claim. It doesn’t matter why he filed the claim either or what purpose or intent he had for the bike, motor, ECU, suspension or whatever else he had in mind. It’s ridiculous reading peoples comments trying to make these things an issues. The kid legally claimed the bike and had the money. Period, end of story.

If I had to guess American Yamaha will take action on this.

Boman Forklift and cbush like this.