1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you race again?

Discussion in 'General' started by mmfoor, Feb 18, 2013.

1. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

So sorry but the dude that said I was only thinking of myself by inquiring what would you do regarding a return to racing, and the the T shirt fundraiser made me selfish, has hurt more than expected.
    I still have about $2,300 in medical bills, sold 2 of my motorcycle and should have a sale on the Versys hopefully within a few weeks, am selling all my sound gear and all professional music gear except for my drumset. This will hopefully get me in the clear, and I will tentatively use any $$$ recieved from the fund raiser toward the medical bill and/or replacing my trashed gear. I missed 3 months pay which was about a $9k loss. 1st of next month should be my first full paycheck. My friend Smoke is selling me his 2-fiddy which is where I hopefully can land with WERA in the near future. He is getting my pal Kurt to bring it to Tally this weekend and has required no payment until I'm capable. I have the best friends anyone could ever have!!!
    Perhaps I should not have the dream to ride again, as I appear to be selfish. But I love being with you folks and unfortunately racing and riding on a track is still my heroin!

Sorry to cry about this, but I don't want anyone to think that I am playing with any fundraiser money. If you do, let me know. I will write a check to disabled vets, airfence, or some other worthy cause.

2. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Like many have said, It's really ONLY up to you.

I know for a fact that I am selfish as fuck, yet my friends know that I would also do anything in my power to help others out.

I can say with 100% certainty that I would absolutely race until the day I die, the day I can no longer hold handlebars, twist throttle, and shift (somehow)

There are too many variables out there but the fact that you are considering it, asking oipinions, tells me that you have the racing bug bad. After this many years, you know in your heart what you need to do.

Don't ask us.

3. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Wheelchair Pimp

I'll have to look at the Jennings date and see if I'm in town. I'll be in Anderson, SC on March 1-3 for a rugby tournament how far is that from you?

If you return to racing look into getting Combined Insurance it's like AFlac. Best $25 a month i spent! After all my hospital stay and rehab they cut me a hefty check

4. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Can't make it up your way as I have many weekends booked with my trackday and WERA tech gigs.
    We'll run into each other someday! I'd love to see you in a rugby match!!

5. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Thanks. I'm pretty much getting from most of you that if family is OK and my life insurance is good, then it's my call. Already thankfully have Tricare and WERA takes care of having good medical support at all events. And like Todd said, if and when I race again I have no interest in points, etc. and will go as fast as I can without risky borderline track behavior. I do so love the ballet of roadracing!

6. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Good luck with whatever you do. You might try mtb racing.. Its fun and good for you at the same time, health wise. Cheap too. All my prior probs simply went away when I got race fit. -Bad knees, high blood pressure, and gout. I've lost most of the fitness tho, with this recent crash(I was in a full body brace and halo for months).

Just got back today from 3 hours of new front teeth work. I looked like Jim Tom from Moonshiners up till now:rolleyes:. Still don't have my voice back from the trake(sp?) they cut in my throat.

The lesson for today..

I'm retired and live waaaaaaay too close.. Meaning, this is what riding fast(or feeding that race bug) on the dragon will do for you.
    [​IMG]

The tree I hit.
    [​IMG]

The oil I hit, from a car/bike impact 20 minutes before I came thru.
    [​IMG]

The crash that dumped all his crankcase oil. He ran wide at the exit and hit that Corvette.
    [​IMG]

The story about it here.
    http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=302758&highlight=used2Bfast

7. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

My body can't handle the mountain bike thang. I have a decent hybrid and Kathy and I are planning some good weekend rides.

8. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Actually in ICU the brain dude said another hit to the head prolly wouldn't be good, but since then my Ft Benning doc doesn't see an issue. I'll just act like I'm a pro football dude!

And damn Lord Humongoness (this is on Dave K) the cover the clutch thang just enlightened me big time. I have been thinking oil on the rear tire put me down, but that would have been a low side maybe with a continuous sliding rear. The motor locking up would have caused the crash to happen just as it did. You are one smart fella!:beer:

9. Paint Shaker

Paint Shaker Tractor Motor Racer

So long as I have the fire, desire and funds, I'll race. Doesn't matter if it is for the championship, first in a race or to stay out of last place in a race! :D

But that's me... Only you can answer for you. :Poke:

10. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

I would love to be racing a bike still but,but, but!!!!!!!

The mess that my accident created for my family, both mentally and financually, means for me it really is not worth it any more?

I could still be fast, but never as good as I was, so why try to do some thing half arsed???

If you have nothing left to prove to yourself mate, WALK AWAY, we all only race/d for our selves

11. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Morris,
    I was out of racing for 13 years. In 91 I moved from GA to AK and there was no racing in AK. I didn't even ride a bike for 10 years. But, I kept thinking about it and I still felt like I was a racer. I finally reached the point where I decided I either needed to get back on the track or stop pretending I was a racer. So, I got a bike and went to Mid-Ohio with one of my old racing buddies and had a great time. We hadn't gone to a race together in over 20 years and it felt like it just the same as always. Due to my work schedule and location, I can only get in a couple of races a year but I still do it and try to use the race weekends to go somewhere and have some fun. I am not as fast as I once was, but I still have a great time.

Take your new attitude toward racing and have some fun.
    Hope to see you at the track again. I think we must have last raced against each other in a Clubman race over 20 years ago.

Ken

P.S. My shirt arrived today and it is way cool.

12. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

like many have said, only you can make that call....if you have the fire in your belly to compete...go ride and see how you feel. My wife (amazing) knows that motorcycle racing is a part of who I am and I wouldn't be the same (at least right now) without it. That said, family comes first and I don't race without a safety net.

Ive paid the price for racing....many injuries.... but I remind myself of the guy next to me in a stint in icu.. He had woke up with a charlie horse, fell, and hit his head on a piece of furniture. He didn't make it. If the Lord is calling you up...you goin. I don't go looking for an excuse to injure myself either.... up to you. Talk to your loved ones and ride a bit....make the call and either do it with focus or don't do it

13. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Well I've made a decision that is based on whether or not it feels right at the track day in 2 weeks.
    Plan to to run only ESS at Barber in a few months. Kathy is behind me 100%.

Just sold my tympani which will bring enough for me to replace my leathers. Gonna go with Spidi which fits me the best off the rack. Gonna get the air vest from Safermoto as well.

14. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

Smart man!:up:

15. dubrdr

dubrdr Well-Known Member

Id say if your family is ok with you racing then do it.. i wrecked my rsv4 on the street last july and was in icu for 3weeks as well... it sucked for me and especially the wife. I had 13 surgerys a amputation of my big toe and damn near broke everything except my left arm.. (got taken out at a intersection at 50+mph) when i got home i was in a wheelchair with casts on both legs and right arm and a sweet neck brace... i started to order all the parts needed to fix my bike and ride again. Once the casts came off(me cutting them off) i went for a ride... i was a complete wreck and nervous as hell... got it back home and ordered race bodywork and sold the street stuff... anyway went to summit for veterans day and did a trackday... felt much more at ease on the bike since i wasnt worrying about some asshat in a car takin me out.. was i slow? Efff ya. Did i have fun? You better belive it... and my wife coulndt have been more happy for me seeing me doing something i enjoy... family is always first.

If you still have the urge to ride/race id say go for it if your family is supportive of it.

16. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Saw Draik at Tally with his vest and I was impressed!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  17. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

I am so glad with the happiness you have found! For me, the street is out for good. Scares the hell out of me!

18. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Morris don't be too disappointed if your return is not real comfortable at first. Im just now starting to regain some confidence from get offs no where near as severe as yours from 2011. Be sure and have fun and don't be too hard on yourself if the confidence doesn't just snap back for you.

19. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

He'll I'll be happy if I can bend my knee good enough to sit on the bike! The rest is gravy after that!
    And I've been way slow before, so no worries there.:D