1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you race again?

Discussion in 'General' started by mmfoor, Feb 18, 2013.

1. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Don't be bringin' in us friends just trying to help a brother out :D

Mo', you might get some good insight here, but between you, your family, and your maker, you will sort it out.

2. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Morris, I think only you will know the right answer. You will need to find it within yourself what's right or wrong for you. That's exactly how I did it. I knew when I was ready, and everyone told me I'd be back. Well, y'all haven't seen me back, and you won't. :D I didn't have the fire to do it anymore and I knew it. I am not like a lot of guys here who simply love motorcycles, thats not me. I don't own one of any kind, and haven't thrown a leg over a bike in 2.5 years. I loved racing for the competition and when I felt that wavering, then thats when I knew. I have plenty of other hobbies that I can be competitive in, currently I'm shooting Archery tournaments again which I did before I raced so thats fueling my inner fire. So maybe there's something you enjoy that you can build interest in and replace that void that you will miss from racing. Good luck!

3. Karl_L

Karl_L Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear that, I wish all of you the best with his recovery! I had a small taste of the subdural hematoma but it resolved itself without any issue.

It seems strange to me that the people who are nervous about us returning to the track might have no problem with the idea of riding on the street. I try to explain the safety advantages: the red flag was flying maybe 10 seconds after I hit the ground, and a paramedic was at my side maybe 2 or 3 minutes later. There were no curbs, signs, trees, etc.. to hit as I was sliding, no cars coming the other way. That argument seems like a winner to me but it doesn't get much traction with the loved ones.

She might vote for the Bridgestones. Does Stick carry anything in 165/80-R15?

4. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

If you're referring to paralysis and other "alive yet reduced" situations, as I mentioned those are scary but I know they can't stop me if I don't let them.

If you're referring to living as a vegetable, I've actually got a living will for that.

If you're referring to something else, I'd like to know.. I'm not foolish enough to think that I've planned for everything, but I have thought fairly extensively on the topic sitting in the pits before I go out on the TT course. 1.5% never seemed like a very big number until the first time I was preparing to go out.

5. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

Chris, you obviously dont know Papa's own personal situation. You should go back and read some of his posts from around 01/02, his accident actually happened about the time i was getting into this sport, and i purposely kept my wife OFF the bbs so she wouldnt see any of it and try to talk me out of doing this. She's since of course been with me all these years, and has seen me lose 5 personal friends to this sport, and one get paralyzed. She isnt a fan of what i do, but she has said she wont stand in the way of me doing what i love. Both my kids are grown (20 and 25), and as long as i keep my life/health insurance up, she likes where "i'm at" in regards to racing now. She's a nurse, and understands, there is ALWAYS a possibility that she may have to wipe my ass for the rest of my life one day as a result of a possible bad crash at the track, but she also understands, it can happen OFF the track just as easily.

Morris, I havent had near the crash/injury that you have, but my broken pelvis/collarbone back in 06 definitely made me reevaluate racing. Personally, for me, teaching with Bargy (started in 05), and coaching with X-Act for many years now, my outlook is: no more racing for points and championships. I'll still do a few races a year at Tally, Road A, Barber, but only if i have the money for it at the time and only if there is absolutely nothing going on with my family, ie: i wont postpone or eliminate doing stuff with the wife/kids in order to get to the track. I get my "racing fix" those few times a year, and get my "track" fix by coaching. Fortunately, i coach with some of the guys i raced with, so we still get out there and ride pretty hard, but i always "try" to ride in MY comfort zone. As long as i can do that, i'm happy.

I do miss racing as much as i used to, but i just dont have the fire (or the finances) to do it near as often.

Bottom line, its your decision, and no one on here can tell you yes or no. Youve been doing this long enough to know that. :up:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  6. Ganja Dude

Ganja Dude Well-Known Member

I had a pretty bad get off at Road A in 2000 that put me in the hospital (coma), and rehab for a little over a month. Raced again the next season and a few years after that, even raced again at Road A. The thing that keeps me from racing is money and time to do it, seems like I am always working weekends and always broke without going to the track.

7. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Great post.

8. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

That's really why you won't go back to Road Atlanta, isn't it? Worried about a repeat of the SV/RC race. :Poke:

9. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I tried but the Search function won't let me specify any older than a year, by date.

HPPT, I don't mean to pry but I am interested - care to share cliffnotes?

10. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Morris, I followed your crash closely and I'd say you need to try it and see what happens.

I've lived through a massive brain tumor, auto accidents, moto accidents, 211ft wall dives with nitro narcosis, boating accidents and annual family reunions. When it's your time you won't have anything to say about it, and I'm a firm believer.

I've got stellar life insurance, and my wife supports me. If either of those stop then so will I.

11. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

We'll talk at Tally :cool:

12. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

You are right where I hope to be Todd: do my X-act thing and participate in the occasional race. Points and championships have left my vocabulary entirely.

We all know that I had a cramp and had to let you by til it passed!

13. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Yep, I'm totally done w/the street. Just the simplest racing low side can be death on the street.

Promises, promises.........

14. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

Yep!

After healing up for a few years I did indeed get back into racing... CARS!
    Not saying ya can't get hurt in those, but holy cow, there's soooooooo much more you can be outta shape and still get it back.:rock:

It seemed like on bikes if ya blink wrong you can be on your head, and that was on '93 HP 600 F2 Honda's much less the missles they got these days...

15. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Too bad that pesky finish line came up first.

:D

16. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

I never was that great. I had major crash in 1996, took a year off, then did a few races in 1998. A crash at my 2nd race back told me that racing might not be for me. After I stopped, many friends told me they were glad I stopped. I am still at the track, having fun, and being with my friends.

Its your choice, friends and family should support you with either choice.

17. apexspeed

apexspeed Well-Known Member

if you have no one except yourself depending on you for their survival then why not? otherwise..

Used2Bfast, its good to read you post here man.. I read elswhere that last one was a doozi for you.

as others have said, racecars are an option but from my experience they just dont compare unless you can get into something really expensive. they are also way more work to prep and maintain.

karts are the closest you will come to the fun factor of bikes but they are alot more risky than cages.

NEVER EVER THINK THIS STUFF before a race EVER! its not good to think about it at all but if you have to then try not to visualize anything!

Do the opposite.. Think about the most reasonable success available to you then go make it happen.

18. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

I raced again. I didn't get hurt too bad but it def scared me initially.

19. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Wheelchair Pimp

Wheelchair basketball is for sissys. Come hang with us wheelchair rugby guys!:wow:. :crackup:

I always told my family if I ended up in a chair to pull the plug. I just had my 8th anniversary of my crash that left me a quadriplegic last week. I can tell you that i'm glad i'm still here. I do more from a chair then most able bodied people do. I live independently and work at races now as well as play rugby. I'm looking to go kart racing so I can get my speed fix.

Being a quad or para isn't bad...chicks are easier to get too!:up:

20. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Hope to meet you someday Steve. I am so happy that you are making your life meaningful. Hope you can get to the Jennings round so I can say hello!!! You're my hero!