1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wire Wheels

Discussion in 'Tech' started by jkraft, Jan 22, 2023.

1. jkraft

jkraft Well-Known Member

Thinking about doing a Cafe/Street tracker and like the looks of wire spoked wheels. Anyone know how you go about converting the OEM hubs of cast wheels to spokes?
    Thanks

2. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

"Converting the OEM hubs"? No. Never heard of that.

What cha workin' on? And where in the world are you Carmen San Diego?

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

have a set laced up...likely need spacers and similar sized rotors. On the cheap KKE are decent enough. Otherwise Dubyausa is a first rate builder.

jkraft likes this.
  4. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Contact Buchanan wheel and spoke to get their feedback and especially since you're wanting street wheels

jkraft likes this.
  5. jkraft

jkraft Well-Known Member

82 Virago 750.
    S/E Mi.

6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

So a 40 yr old shaft drive m/c? Call Buchanan first as they've been there before!

7. jkraft

jkraft Well-Known Member

Yup, crazy huh? Buchanan looks like the place to go, I'll contact them. Thanks!
    On a related issue, I like those Excel rims but can you put a tube in a tubeless tire?

8. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I have on mini bikes.. you can also make a spoke wheel tubeless pretty easily

9. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

With the Virago, there were some models which had spoked wheels OEM that will work with the shaft drive and be a bolt up peration. Then just relace to the rim size you want. I think the XV500/550 and the XV1100 had some years and models that had spokes. I don't think there have ever been conversions to spokes using the original cast hubs. Cognito Moto makes plates that convert the Honda Comstar wheels to spokes, so maybe with some machine work to the cast hubs you could make those plates or something like them work.

What front forks are you going to be using. For a spoked front, many people use the XS650 front wheel.

jkraft likes this.
  10. jkraft

jkraft Well-Known Member

2014 GSXR750. I'm thinking spacers/adapters for the front won't be too hard. The rear shaft drive hub is my concern but I'll check those 500/550's.
    thanks

11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

You can run a tube in a tubeless tire but the speed rating drops to 120mph or H rated. The bead seat of a tubeless tire is different from a tube type tire and could cause sealing/retention issues if you use a tubeless tire on some spoke wheels. Ask questions before the purchase

jkraft likes this.
  12. jkraft

jkraft Well-Known Member

What's the process for making a spoked wheel tubeless?

13. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

here is a video about it the 3m tape is the best way

jkraft likes this.