1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VIR track changes

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jan 6, 2022.

1. MV Rider

MV Rider Well-Known Member

At age 66 I decided to retire from track riding, and I was only a track day squid. VIR was my home track and I have about 15,000 miles around VIR and have ridden all of the configurations of the track except for the Patriot Course. The thought of putting the 750 or the RSV4 through the kink with Armco almost makes me break out in a cold sweat. I could not imagine what Elias or Gagne think when they see that mess. Turn 3 does not look much better. The only difference is you are going slower but to go off the track at the kink going 160 plus is a different matter. It does not even have to be your fault. It could be a tire or other mechanical issue and you will be hung out to dry.

BigBird and MELK-MAN like this.
  2. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

It looks to me from the pictures that the Armco is almost up against the trees in the critical areas after the kink. Hopefully they put some gravel there.

MotoAmerica deploys a ton of air fence (Thank you to the Ulrich family!) so I don't see it being more dangerous than other tracks that we go to. If you measure the runoff in feet, I'm sure it's more than a lot of places. Then again I ride a twin so my speeds are alot slower in the critical areas.

Still not a fan of walls, but with bikes going there once a year for a race event, how much can you expect the track management to pay attention to us?

MELK-MAN likes this.
  3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Well both ccs and wera want to race but can't get dates

4. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Just add a chicane or three

5. 27

27 Well-Known Member

There is just no reason whatsoever to build tracks with any reason to put up hard barriers. It’s just stupid and anyone with a lick of sense can lay out a track without them.

2003 everyone is raving about the best new track ever! I knew who designed it, and ruined it, but kept an open mind. By 2004 I’d done the impossible and demolished a brand new R6 by tucking it under a guard rail coming up the hill when I tucked it at full lean at the crest of 4 and it slid way out into it, luckily I stopped before I got there. Still rebuilt the bike and won the endurance class race iirc. Overall podium too!

I hate Barber, the layout and flow sucks, like all of Wilson’s tracks. But I love VIR and all the old natural tracks, Grattan, Mid O, etc.

Roger Lee did it there on a Superbike some years later.

6. Gino230

Actually, that's not quite what CCS said- they complained about the turnout the last time they did VIR, and there was some commenting by others about the track being expensive- Just don't think they want to take the risk.

7. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Gotcha, it's what wera said my mistake

Gino230 likes this.
  8. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Never been to VIR … Armco is Bad … but my biggest take away of this thread is Big Bird thinks Hatch Backs are Mini Vans :rolleyes:.. WTF .. that boy has Brain Damage … :D

BigBird and YamahaRick like this.
  9. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

If he had said micro van, I might have agreed. I think minivans have 3 rows of seats, micro vans, 2-rows, sure.

BigBird likes this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

It what the classmates at my kids school calls it..."hey nice minivan" and then they ask me to "vroom, vroom" or commonly know as rev it, lol

11. Gino230

This guy was at Sebring for Champcar- didn't last very long, though. minivan.jpeg

BigBird likes this.
  12. BigBird

BigBird blah

He needed this
    [​IMG]

rice r0cket, dtalbott and Gino230 like this.
  13. Dave Wolfe

Im starting to think its more like a foot fetish thing. Are you longing for the comfort you had as a child in your mommas minivan?

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

lol...my mom didn't learn to drive until I basically had my license. Growing up, my dad had us in a ' 83 Celica GT-S Hatch, then a '84 Celica Supra and when there was the third kid he broke down and got a Camry, and a MKIII Toyota Supra.

We didn't have minivans, also they were American made, my Dad was having none of that.

15. Dave Wolfe

The mystery deepens!

I will figure this out, if it takes my whole life

BigBird likes this.
  16. BigBird

BigBird blah

or just go with they are the most practical vehicle that one can ever own....your choice :D

17. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

:crackup::Poke:

BigBird likes this.
  18. Gino230

I do have to agree with this, the GTI is a fantastic all around car. The only reason we sold ours is it was getting expensive to maintain after 140K, and the new ones were not available yet. So we decided to try something new with the Audi Q3. Wife loves it and since it's "her" car (we share vehicles mostly) that's a wrap!

I sold mine to my cousin, who immediately did what I should have done and spent about $1000 fixing a few little cosmetic items and is now driving it as a "fun" car. :mad:

BigBird likes this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, none of these new walls at VIR match what you want...

noles19 likes this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope, totally different people. VIR and Jersey is a lot of the same people.

BigBird likes this.