1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Cash Prizes - Mid-Ohio July 8, 2017 - Start Money

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Can-am, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Clubman doesn't run there. Those classes are for the older Vintage bikes which is what the event is built for, they also wanted some twins and then asked us to bring a couple of modern classes so we did - however it's far from a full normal schedule.

2. guzziguy

guzziguy Well-Known Member

Do we have to buy a regular attendance ticket as we have in the past?

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes. Same procedures on that score as it's all part of the overall fund raising for the museum.

4. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

Yes, Mark Junge of Vesrah and I are running V6, V7 and V8 HW. Several of the fast V7MW guys will bump into V7HW as well. Turnout has been low the last couple of years but should be a few more for this years event. Due to my truck being in the shop for hail damage repair, I might be traveling light with my Honda Element, generators and a nice baxley open two rail trailer. LOL Renegade17 what bike are you riding?

5. Outsider V6 V7

Mongo, after looking at the schedule I noticed V6HW and V7HW are back to back. Any chance to get one of those switched, I mean have you seen how fat I am. LOL

6. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Cool you boys will have fun, give me your go pros and I will try to get the footage lol. FZ750, 1st time out on it next weekend. Should be interesting, hoping for more than one round of practice on it before the flag drops.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  7. Outsider V6 V7

Don't worry about me, I'll just try and keep mark in sight for one lap then you and I can ride around. LOL Either way it's a great event and if you've not been a pit bike, motorized is a must. They don't allow bicycles.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It'll be good for you, you won't have a chance to get stiff in between :crackup:

Harry V. III likes this.
  9. Outsider V6 V7

Or a chance to breathe. LOL If everyone is bumping up there will be a minimum of 4 of us going back to back. Steve, John, Mark and I. Are you seeing more racers pre-registered since there's no conflict with AHRMA NJ?

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think so but not sure since I have no clue what the pre numbers were last year. I've had some interest from new peeps for sure but a decent amount is the modern classes too.

11. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

Yamaha Puts up Swag!
    Thanks to Yamaha, their riders who participate in the handicap races can get some Yamaha branded swag: backpack, hat, water bottles, pens, decals, sunglasses and other treasures. At the awards ceremony following the races Saturday afternoon. Thanks to Dean Middleton.

JBall likes this.
  12. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Well,

The BSA-tale-o'-woe continues . . . .

I seized the B bike Saturday at Barber. An air leak I've been chasing for some time. Decided to just do as Ted Hubbard always said: "Just gas it!" So I did. It lasted 3-7/8's laps.

I changed gearing and set up the A bike for the 50GP race. Went out on the warm-up lap, everything working fine, until . . . . the roller coaster. Bike died. No sputter, no clatter, just stopped running. So, I push it off and watch the race, which was good one. Congrats again Jack. Back home I determine there is no spark. Change out the CDI. No spark. Change out the coils. No spark. Change out the PVL stator. Spark!

It is now Monday and I have Mid-Ohio looming, and I need to give Stu Carter my A bike for Mosport. But, that requires that I have a B bike for Mid-Ohio. So, I start scrambling. I have a B50 engine of unknown lineage in a crate. It has been sitting in the crate for 3+ years. I open the crate. I now know what the tombs in Egypt must have smelled like when first opened. gazing ion the spark plug hole I see it has a new piston. Hmmmm. I look in the primary - the clutch wobbles so badly I am afraid it will fall out. I replace everything on the primary side. I time and install a Boyer ignition. I reconfigure the sump plate. I check clearances and tolerances up top. I completely dismantle and reconfigure the B bike to accept this engine (different exhaust, etc). All of that occurs from 7 AM thru 11 PM July 4. This morning I try circulating oil. It will not pump oil. I fill it from the top, I pressurize the system, I bleed air bubbles, I remove the high pressure relief valve and assure oil in the system . . . I do everything known to Man to get the system to work. It will not return oil. And a fully functioning poiling system is critical to operation . . . .

I talk to two BSA racers/mechanics. Neither of them had anything to do with this particular engine, but both know the person I acquired it from and both say the same thing: Go all the way thru the engine. Well, like it or not, that appears to be what I will do, because it will not return, and to get the the oil pump, you might as well go all the way thru the engine. And, that is no happening before Mid-Ohio (departure tomorrow).

So, it is with a heavy heart (and very greasy hands), that I wish everyone well at Mid-Ohio and in the Raven Irish Sweepstakes Challenge. I wish I could be there. I am confident the BSA's would have performed flawlessly, would have been faster and more exciting to watch than anything else there this weekend, and That I would have won top dollar in the Raven Challenge. Of course, none of that will ever be proven, but in true bench racing fashion, facts and reality don't matter. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Have fun, go fast, enjoy the weekend, have a big time, be safe, and hoist a beer (or Martini) for me and the BSA's. It is not for lack of (significant) effort that I will not be there.

Cheers,

Dave

13. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Well, expect that to come back in bits then.

14. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I keep kidding myself that I am going to race this again someday... But due to getting old and falling apart, its not going to happen.

Saying that I will toss a little cash to the 90's SS (V7MWT) racers. $100 for the overall class win, $75 for first loser, and $50 for the next guy.

Mongo, send me a PM with how to get the cash to you before the event (Paypal, whatever) as I probably wont be attending this time

JBall likes this.
  15. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

Mongo, I forgot that you don't do PM. Hit me up at [email protected] and we can work out the details

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Email me details of who you want listed as the sponsor and paypal is fine - [email protected] for both.

17. bj

bj Well-Known Member

Bummer Dave. I'll save the Cuban and the Assen discussion for next time.

18. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

Done.

90's super sport by BUFF has a nice ring to it....

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We changed to our names but yep :D

20. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Doggone it BJ -

I was looking forward to:

1. racing with you;
    2. hearing tales from Assen;
    3. enjoying a Cuban or Dominican while discussing 1 and 2, above; and
    4. going thru the swap meet to see what unobtainable bits & pieces I could find for the many projects I have languishing.

Good luck with the 350 GP/500 GP races. We'll simply have to postpone telling lies and exaggerating to one-up the other.

cheers,

dave