1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used car sale advice opinions

Discussion in 'General' started by kl954, Jan 8, 2010.

1. kl954

kl954 Well-Known Member

I had a 98 V70 AWD wagon which I just sold, ran great I have been driving it every day last 2 months and my wife drove it everyday before that. In the last 2 months a took trips to the Meadow Lands, NJ about 100 miles each way Stamford, CT about 130 each way, car ran great no issues.

sold car $1200, 98 v70 awd wagon 256,418 miles on the car, nothing major wrong, only things that did not work were rear passanger door did not unluck with power locks, other than that everything worked, pwr seats, sunroof etc..

he came by one night looked at the car and took about a 10 mile test drive, told him he could bring a mechanic or whatever, I said it is a good car but it is also a $1500 car so it is what it is

drove the car 3 miles to work that morning, went back to the house got the title met dude at tag place, do the deal

he texted me about 30 minutes later saying car shut off and he is getting it towed ((car never shut off on my wife or I in 3 years)) so I am feeling bad about the situation but I gave dude full disclosure and I serious had no idea about this if he is telling the truth, so now he is asking what am I going to do? at this points things are still civil.

I do feel bad but it is a used car, I bought my last truck a 99f150 and did not make it home before the alt went bad, had to get it towed but I just replaced the alt and moved one and that was a $6000 truck at the time. I am posting this on here for some help, I feel really bad but I also feel like I did nothing wrong or dishonest, but I also do not want to get taken advantage of either.

I did not know dude, sold car on craigslist.

Thoughts?

PS sorry this was so long!

2. 418

418 Expert #59

It's a $1200 car...

3. sdg

sdg *

Used car. Bill of sale as is where is...

Sold one to a co-worker once (will never do that again) that threw the timing chain within 1000 mi. I felt bad, he told me the same thing, and to not feel bad.

4. ontherocks

ontherocks Member

Its also sold as is. Bottom line is do what you can sleep with at night.

5. KillerCam

KillerCam KillerCam Racing

Buyer Beware, used cars you never can tell especially with that kind of mileage.

6. Quick10

Quick10 Habitual Offender

You don't get new car reliability at used car prices. Like it was said do what you feel comfortable with.

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Feel lucky it died on him, not you.

8. snailspace

snailspace Well-Known Member

Unless you knew there was a problem....."as is where is".....end of story!

9. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Used car=no warranty. if you want to be nice offer half of the tow bill.

10. bblath

bblath Guest

good advice from the noob

11. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

+1

12. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

What was he repair diagnosis? i.e. was it out of gas or blown engine?

13. Nicky v

Nicky v Well-Known Member

I wonder why he texted you, instead of CALLING you, and why did he call you AFTER it was already towed, or getting towed. If it were me, and the car died, I'd be calling you before the car stopped rolling. I smell something fishy! I guess if you feel you should do something, take it to a mechanic that YOU trust and have him look at it and go 50/50... but thats if you feel bad enough

14. Gerloff310

Gerloff310 G-man

256,418 miles. That car can break at any moment. I deal with this all day long in my industry. He should have taken it to a mechanic. Otherwise, he owns it.......and if it breaks in half.....he own's both halves. It sucks, but that is one of the consequences of buying a $1200 car with no warranty. He know what he bought, he just doesn't want to accept the liability of the situation. Same thing happens when you sell a race bike and it blows up on the new owner on the 1st ride. It mechanical, it will let go when it wants to let go.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  15. kl954

kl954 Well-Known Member

Thank you all, I offered to pay for some of the towing bill we shall see how it goes. I am kindof on the same boat as Nicky_v I would have said it broke and either towed it back to his house or to his mechanice.

He is saying that it is blowing the fuel pump fues and they think there is a short or something, fuel pump is 800-$900 to replace.

Thank you all again!

I will let you know how it pans out.

16. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

my only thought is "when the hell did Kent get a conscience?"

you're from Philly for Christ's sake...man up. :D

17. kl954

kl954 Well-Known Member

what's up Bret, do you still ride a bike?

18. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

Pete has a GSXR750 now. I have a KTM 525 motard. we're at VIR 8-10 times a year:up: (check my sig line)

19. KrashBandit

KrashBandit The other guy at Pit Bull

Morally I'd want to make it right with the guy if the car is just absolutely dead. On the other hand, if it's an alternator or something like that...sh!t happens. Once a car has a quarter million miles on it, you gotta expect things to break.