1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tucker Lancaster Road Atlanta WERA Cyclejam race report

Discussion in 'Race Reports' started by TuckerLancaster, Jun 14, 2013.

1. I had a great weekend last weekend at the WERA Cycle Jam at Road Atlanta. It was the third round of the WERA National series. Mike and I arrived at the track on Wednesday, June 5 and got everything set up. Thursday was my first time on the track. It started raining in the morning, but I had no choice but to go ride; I had to learn the track. At first there were a few sections that I didn’t like, but after a few sessions it got better. I only got one dry session and a 1:36 was my fastest time. On Friday there was an endurance race, I didn’t have anything to ride for the endurance race so we decided to take the day off. We got together with Jon Tyus from CTR/K-Tech suspension and he made some spring changes in the forks, he put stiffer springs in it for that track. On Thursday we were supposed to have qualifying, but because of the rain they pushed it to Saturday morning. On Saturday morning the bike was feeling good! We made a few adjustments, and I was down to 1:32’s! For qualifying we put on a new set of Pirelli tires and went out for the 15 minute session. On my third or fourth lap I did a pretty fast lap, a 1:32.5, I didn’t know that someone had followed me and got a tow. It can be easier to go fast when you have someone in front of you to follow. I came in and Mike told me that I gave someone a tow and he caught up to me when I did a 1:32.5 which meant he went even faster. I knew that I had to do a better time if I wanted to get the pole position! I went back out and on my second to last lap I did a 1:32.160! That time was good enough to put me on pole by 0.1 seconds, and earn my 3rd pole for the year!! Later on Saturday I was signed up for one of the WERA southeast regional races. I had to start on the fourth row since I didn’t have any points in that series. I didn’t get a very good start and was in about 7th when we came around on the first lap. I had to work my way up through the pack, and it was pretty difficult. On the 4th of 6 laps I got into 3rd place. I reeled in the top 2 riders, but I couldn’t find a place to pass. On the last lap I was able to pass into 2nd place going down the long back straight away. Unfortunately the guy I passed got back by me under braking going into turn 10A. Going into the last turn, turn 12 he made a mistake and I was able to pass him and take 2nd place! So far my weekend was going good, and I was ready for the national races on Sunday.

On Sunday morning we made another change to the bike, and it was working even better. I was feeling good in practice, turning 1:33’s. My first race of the day was the premier 600 race, 600 superstock, the one we qualified for. I started on pole position and got the holeshot! I could tell someone was behind me, so I was pushing, trying to get away. On the third lap I started to get a gap, I didn’t know I was pulling away though, I thought I could hear someone there the whole time so I kept pushing. Turning 1:31’s the entire race, I ended up winning the race by about 9 seconds, and I was surprised at the end of the race when I looked back and saw no one there. After my race we had a podium, and I got to talk about my race and thank all of my sponsors!

My next race was 750 superstock where I started on the inside of the first row in third position. I got the holeshot again, but coming out of the first turn I ran a little wide and Jimmy Merck got past me. He was on a really fast 750 so it was hard for me to try to pass him anywhere. He would pull away from me on the straight aways then I would catch up to him in the turns. On the 4th or 5th lap of the 8 lap race going into turn 12, I caught a false neutral and had to go off the track. Luckily if you go straight, you go straight onto the old pit lane. I was able to take that and reenter the track in turn 1 still in 2nd place. I ended up in 2nd place.

My next race was 600 superbike, I started on the pole again, and got the holeshot again. On the first lap I tried to break away from the pack but I wasn’t able to get ahead. Jimmy Merck drafted past me on the back straight away. I was in 2nd place, and I couldn’t find a way around Jimmy. I tried in a few different areas but I couldn’t make anything stick. On the 4th lap of the 6 lap race James Rispoli got around both of us. I tried to follow him through but I wasn’t close enough to get around Jimmy. On the last lap I made sure to get a good drive coming out of turn 7 and I was able to pass him going into turn 10A. I was now in second place and that’s where I finished. I was happy to finish in 2nd place behind Rispoli.

My last race of the day was 750 superbike. I started on the inside of the first row in third place. I got the holeshot again, and was able to stay in first place on the first lap. I knew Jimmy Merck was on that fast 750 again so I had to get out front and get away before we got to a fast straight away. I was able to do that. On the third lap going down the hill after turn 2 it had started raining. I didn’t know that until we got there and I was going full race speed down it. I slid quite a ways but I was able to save it. Good thing I saved it before the red flag came out and the race was considered over. I won the race because it was half way over and I was in the lead when we crossed the finish line. I was surprised that they didn’t call the race sooner, the track was pretty sketchy!

Overall I was happy with my first weekend at Road Atlanta! I am still on a streak of pole positions, and hopefully we can keep that alive for the rest of the year!

I am thankful to hear that Dave Stantons Operation was successful! I continue to keep Dave and his family in my thoughts.

I would like to thank all of my sponsors that help me get back to all of these races on the east coast: My mom and dad, Pirelli tires, Chris and Corey at CT Racing, The Lighting Geek, Leon from Competition Motorsports South, James from Podium Motorsports, Orion Motorsports, Jason Pridmore's Star School, Pacific Track Time, Mike Pascarella, Motorex, Regina, EDR Performance, Cortech, Shoei, FMF, Full Spectrum Batteries, KFG Racing, Zero Gravity, Arnette, Drippin' Wet, GB Racing, and Rider's Discount

Thanks,

Tucker Lancaster

www.tuckerlancaster.com

Attached Files:

2. My poster!!

Attached Files:

3. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

That's some hard riding you did - good job man :up:

4. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Congrats!

5. CTracetires.com

CTracetires.com West Coast Pirelli

Fantastic race report T.L.

Your doing a great job at learning new tracks. Wish you the best this year!

DO-Wrk and Shred NAR!

6. Thanks!

7. Thanks Chris!!

8. CTracetires.com

Yep we will be seeing you at Miller!!!!

9. Sweet! See you there!

10. CTracetires.com

Oh be sure to shred NAR!!!

11. I will!

12. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

Keep kicking butt kid!! Love supporting another top notch up and comer!! Can't wait till we tackle ama next year with ya.