1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Track/ Race Bike Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Fireblade07960, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Hey Guys,

I am new to racing/ track days. I currently ride an 06 CBR 1000RR, and have been riding for about 8 years. I want to buy a track bike/ race bike but don't want to get on an inline 4 and go 160-180 as a beginner. I am looking to learn how to ride on a track then eventually race. Any recommendations on a light weight bike I can start "slower" on?
    Thnx

2. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

SV650

3. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

EX500 or EX250 would be good choices as well.

4. jiffyzx6

jiffyzx6 Well-Known Member

bussa

just kidding, an sv650 definitely a good choice

5. jiffyzx6

jiffyzx6 Well-Known Member

there's also a shit ton of threads already Bout this topic with a lot of useful info in them

6. sounds good, can a race an older FZR 600 in the LW Class?

7. dubguy85

dubguy85 Well-Known Member

Ninja 2 fitty!

8. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

V7 Class. Find a F2 or F3 and come have some fun!

9. cool thnks for the reponses! now all we need is some warm weather rather than SNOW!

10. gixxerjay

gixxerjay Member

11. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

12. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

I would start on a 250 or an older gs or ex 500. Then go to an SV and then go from there as you wish. I started on a gs500 and then moved to the SV. I have no plans in changing bikes for quite some time.

13. KawiForLife

KawiForLife [IMG]http://i18.photobuck

gsxr 600 easy to find parts for and pretty cheap:up:

14. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

the tracks you ride can have just as much of an influence on top-speed as the bike.

Stick to tighter/smaller tracks, and you won't get out of 5th gear on a 600; not at a mid-pack novice pace anyway.

If you're riding VIR, then the bike matters a lot more than if you're riding BeaveRun... Personally, I think V7 is a cheaper (arguably "better") way into racing than a LW twin, but I'm biased because that's what I owned.

15. olgoodf3

olgoodf3 'Merica

I started in V7 also. F3's are cheap and parts are plentiful!