1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tires

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Hyper08, Jan 9, 2011.

1. marshmallow

marshmallow Designated Roody-Poo

I got a knock off Honda generator. It's tough to start cold but it works great and was 1/10th the price of the real deal.

2. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

Do you know what brand it is?

3. marshmallow

marshmallow Designated Roody-Poo

4. Dissevered

Dissevered Well-Known Member

I got a similar question, with a bit more background on myself. I'll be on my 3rd season of track days. I run back of the advanced group. I've been using dragon supercorsa or diablo supercorsa, whatever I find cheaper as take offs.

1st Question... In the back of the A pack, can I still get away with the DoT tires that don't need warmers? When is it time to start using warmers?

2nd question... If I can still get away with not using warmers, what are the best DOT tires for each brand. If not, what are the next step in tires I should be using keeping cost in mind?

I don't care about brand, I actually like to try new ones to experiment. I just want to know what models I should be looking at based on my skill level.

5. Hyper08

Hyper08 Well-Known Member

Are you racing? If you're not, why post here? I'm sure the NESBA or STT forums would be glad to answer your questions. I am very new around here and I could be wrong but it seemed like they are trying to get away from track day stuff around here.

6. bodie1331

bodie1331 Well-Known Member

I guess he's not going to be buying your take offs....;)

7. Dissevered

Oh snap! I made the new guy angry. :rolleyes:

I clicked on the thread title because it was top of the section. Didn't realize I was in the racing section. SORRY! lol... And no thanks, I'll stick to these forums, I've been here for 2 years, I like it here. I don't think its your job to tell me which website to post on.

You gonna beat me up now? :D

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  8. Dissevered

Damn STRAIGHT I'm not... lol

9. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

The track day stuff was gotten rid of because people kept bashing organizations over their inability not to screw riders over and people were also using the forum to advertise their trackdays for free. No disrespect intended from racers to trackday riders.

Tire warmers- they will make your tires last longer if used correctly and have the tires up to temperature when you go out. It allows you to accurately set tire pressures without having to guess what they will be when heated by the friction from the track. Heat cycles kill your tires. If you keep them from going from hot to cold to hot they will last longer and grip better.

Pirellis are great, both the Dragons and the Diablo Supercorsas. Just make sure you buy a race DOT tire and you will be good to go. What brand you use is up to you and mostly is just a personal preference.

10. Hyper08

"Oh snap"? That's funny! Sounds like my 10 year old! "Didn't realize I was in the racing section. SORRY! lol..." The whole damn forum is the racing section! I didn't have to be here 2 years to tell that...

But nevermind...sorry...my mistake...this is "Information For New Track Day Riders" area...

11. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

Slow down Hyper. As smithy just mentioned this section replaced the "Trackday" section because of organizations, not the trackday riders. Tires doesn't have anything to do with rather you race or do trackdays as a fast A rider could run on full race DOTs just like a novice racer and thus information would be beneficial to both parties.

12. Hyper08

Ok. Ok. :) I apologize! Not sure I 100% agree but I will keep my comments to myself...

13. gixxersmitty

Agree with what exactly?

14. Dissevered

What are the other brands DOT race tire equivalent to the dragons/supercorsas?

Will the warmers also help the DOT tires last longer or are they meant more for the full race tires that don't deal as well with the heat cycles?

15. Dissevered

But I'm a slow A rider... :cool:

Actually got there on a stock F2 with 56k miles on the suspension. Ever ride a bike that felt like a boat? lol... I'm hoping this 600rr I'm rebuilding helps move me in with the cool cats.

16. gixxersmitty

The warmers are meant for race compound tires that have softer compounds. The rubber will harden and lose grip as it heat cycles. Using the warmers will get you more life out of the tire.

I've always used the Pirellis. I ran a set of Bridgestone BT002s and a set of BT003s and switched back to Pirelli. I've got several sets of new Dunlops for this year in the garage. They are the 209 GPAs. Dunlop also makes a 211 GPA and an NTEC. I havent used anything else so I cant really recommend any other brands.

17. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

I had a 1998 YZF 600R that I was going to use on the track after I got my 08 600RR. Notice I said "had" and "was". :crackup:

The RR is nice but I want another Yamaha. Thinking about getting a 04-06 R6 at the end of this year.

18. gixxersmitty

Also want to mention to avoid any confusion, that you have basically 4 types of tires available. Street DOTs, race DOTs, slicks, and rains. Slicks and rains are self explainitory. Both are race tires and shouldnt be on the street. The street DOTs are made for highway use and are grooved for water dispersal on the highway. The race DOTs have similar grooves but are much softer compounds for racing, and usually dont have grooves on the outter edges to give maximum traction at full lean. Make sure when getting tires for the track they are race DOTs. Some street tires are acceptable in trackday events but depend on a riders ability and these tires have their limits.

Some exceptions to the rule are tires like the Diablo Corsa, which is for the street/trackday rider. Its a dual compound, harder in the center softer on the outter edges, made for riders that use their streetbikes to do trackdays.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No he can't. However I can. I removed the trackday forum for a reason. I created this forum for riders who want to start racing. This entire board is about racing. The name of the company is WERA Motorcycle Roadracing Since none of your shit has a thing to do with actual racing you need to find somewhere else to post it.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

This forum isn't for trackday riders to get tire advice on running trackdays.