1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tires

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Hyper08, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Hyper08

Hyper08 Well-Known Member

I like this section! I am brand new and to be honest this forum is a bit intimidating to post in but here we go. How about tires? I know this subject is like oil but for a new guy trying this for the first time, what's the cheap route for tires and warmers? 209s vs 211s vs something like commercial Power Ones or Q2s. A set of rain tires in the trailer just incase, yes or no? Where to find takeoffs and is that adviseable.

There is a lot of info throughout the posts in this board on all those subjects but I am trying to tailor the question to new racers (me!). If you were just starting out (knowing what you know now) and you were running a lightweight/middleweight bike and funds were tight, what tires would you use? What warmers and generator would you buy? Thanks

2. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

For a first year racer I'd recommend tires that are perfectly capable yet cost effective - either Bridgestones or Continentals. The Bridgestone BT003 race tire is a great tire for cutting your teeth on, and Continental paid contingency for novice results last year regardless of grid sizes. Haven't raced on the Conti, though I've heard positive feedback from people who have.

Warmers? Either Chickenhawks or Woodcraft, IMO. You can find used sets here in the classifieds that'll last much, much longer then the no-name sets you'll find new on E-bay.

Rain tires? If you intend to run regardless of weather, it's always good to have a set on board.

Generators? Something quiet. Honda 2000's are good, and I've run a Yamaha EF2400is that's been phenominal for three seasons now.

3. Commander_Chaos

Commander_Chaos Hillbilly Genius

I have Woodcraft warmers and no generator. Electricity is $20.00 a day, and there are often people who are willing to split the cost or even give it to you. To me the generator is one more thing to drag around and would take years to pay for itself.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  4. Hyper08

Hyper08 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. I have looked at most of the Midwest tracks and it appears that all or most of electricty. That's cool.

As far as tires for the EB school, I was planning on just using Q2s or some regular Michelin 2CTs/Powers so I don't have to mess with warmers during the school. I am assuming since we won't and shouldn't be going all out this is a good idea?

5. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

:up:

6. STEEZO

STEEZO Well-Known Member

Yes this is a good idea :up:. When I took the class, Ed provided so much information in one day that there seemed like there wasn't time to keep putting on and taking off the warmers. Basically lecture, straight to bike, ride, pit in, immediately to class room for lecture, repeat.

I only tried putting the warmers back on once, then I didn't bother. I wasn't going to miss the first 5 mins of every lecture.

7. randomwalker

randomwalker Well-Known Member

I appreciate this thread and its information. I, too, plan to race for the first time this year. I realize you can't give opinions on every single tire out there, but what is your opinion on the Pirelli Superbike Pro tires (track day slicks) for a first-time racer on a liter bike? If it's sticky and lasts longer than regular race tires, that may be a way to keep costs down is my thinking.

8. Suburbanrancher

Honestly, any tire choice comes down to the skill level of the rider and how hard they're going to use them. For beginner racers, odds are you're not going to push top-of-the-line race rubber to within even 50% of it's potential over your first couple of weekends unless you already have extensive experience, so buying these sets at up to $500 a pop is a waste of money, imo, until your skills are built up to the point where you need them.

The Pirelli's you mentioned should be fine for a beginner racer - just make sure the classes you run allow the use of slicks, make sure you use warmers, and talk to your tire vendor.

9. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

how do you manage your tires between practice and race? i am trying to figure cost of racing vs track day riding. i run power ones and PRs presently on TDs.

do you run your old tires on practice and then always toss on new for races? i would think that i could get my practice day and a couple of races out of a new set of DOTs without issue, but would welcome your thoughts.

10. Suburbanrancher

That's exactly what I do. I'll run fresh tires for racing, and then use those tires for the following weekend's practices.

Your rate of tire wear will play a part in this. I run a literbike, so I go through a lot of rear tires. Generally I can get three sprint races out of a rear before it's past it's prime for a race pace; I'll change the front tire for every 2-3 rear tires - this is running DOTs, btw. Then I flip the rears and use them for practice.

Now, this will be different for riders on lighter and/or smaller displacement bikes, as well as riders who are easier on the throttle. There are some racers who talk about getting half a season out of a set of tires on the much smaller displacement bikes.

Also know that when you put fresh race rubber on, as long as it's up to temp (been on the warmers, pressure set correctly) a single scrub lap should suffice for it to be ready for racing. I used to run 2-3 laps in practice to scrub new tires in, but it was a waste. One hard warm-up lap and they're generally good to go.

11. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

I wanted to ask this same question and I agree that this forum is much more informative (for me atleast) than the Trackday Forum.

One thing I'm not going to skimp on is tires. They are the only thing that connects the bike to the ground (aside from your knee at times). I'm sure multiple factors go into a crash and the less things I have to try to figure out why I crashed the better.

12. krunkfoo

krunkfoo Active Member

Is the 003 race tire different from the 003rs? Where can I get a race tire online?

13. Suburbanrancher

Yes, the RS is more 'street' oriented, whereas the 003 DOT race tire is just that - a tire designed for the track environment.

Try Mize Mobile or Stickboy Racing - both are excellent vendors.

14. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

For the EB school, I thought he didn't want people to use tire warmers and you shouldn't need them anyway. Track day tires will be fine.

I'm not sure what you mean by midwest tracks, but most of the ones I go to do not have reliable power, unless you rent a garage.
    Nelson, Mid-O, Grattan, Beaverun, Road America: no power

Good luck

15. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

Do not buy cheap warmers!!
    I bought a "good" set of warmers that a guy on here sells. They lit my brand new (15mins on it) Diablo SC on fire! $150 more on good warmers would have saved me a $200 tire.

Also, if you really are new to the track, I wouldnt think twice about using a hypersport tire. They are great tires out there now that dont need warmers, last a long time, and are more forgiving.

16. MikeyP

MikeyP Well-Known Member

^^^Words of wisdom here.
    I'm not racing yet, I plan to take the CMRA license in early April at TWS.
    This year I am leaving the hypersports on the street.
    Since I am a beginner as well as on a budget I am going to be using Michelin Power Race rears, and Power One (commercial) fronts.
    The prices on the PRs are better than what I pay for a new Pure.
    Even though the PRs are no longer in production, they will perform much better than the Pures I have been running for TDs. Since the fronts last a bit longer I can afford to run the P1 up there.
    I am sure my confidence and times will increase.
    Now to find a budget suspension setup and I'll be golden.

17. bodie1331

bodie1331 Well-Known Member

Is there a Dunlop dealer that anyone likes? East coast. I'm going to be running 209's for the first time, and my first year racing this season. Need some pressure suggestions.

18. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

ask Paul the Dunlop guy at most SE tracks what pressures to run. His word is gold. He is a short hispanic redneck from Tn. can't miss him.

19. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

Check the website. It has a pdf file with pressure settings and warmer usage recommendations.

If they have been put on the warmers the right amount of time, it is 33 front 23 rear.

20. bodie1331

bodie1331 Well-Known Member