1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinner Head Gasket

Discussion in 'Tech' started by OGs750, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Rodney Vest #310

Rodney Vest #310 Well-Known Member

That is funny. I would post it up but Mongo said no more Youtube Videos. Sorry.

2. digger89

digger89 Well-Known Member

Far from the only one, I think, the most annoying part is the CAPITAL LETTERS that edwho posts that makes it SEEM LIKE HE'S YELLING!!!!! MY SHOP IS AWESOME, I AM THE BEST TUNER EVER. YOU DWEEBS DON'T KNOW SHIT.

SHUT UP ALREADY! Quit using the caps key.

Tech is about helping people with technical questions, not fluffing your ego and promoting your business.

3. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

what if I only run the middle layer?

Sure Eric comes off as a pretencious prick, but I would rather take the advice from a guy who knows what he's talking about than a backyard mechanic.

My $0.02

My personal policy is that the sourness of a blown motor lasts much longer than the sweet taste of a good deal.

4. davetlr

davetlr Well-Known Member

Lmfao. This thread definately has :Pop: potential

5. Perlzuki

Perlzuki Well-Known Member

Rodney, 06 GSXR 1000. Met you 1/2 way in NC & it was mid summer. I was not trying to call you out. Just trying to save a motor. HAVE A GREAT CHRISTMAS & A SAFE NEW YEAR!

Mark

6. digger89

Perfect use of caps! :)

7. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

When i meet you, i got the 1st round!:beer:

8. humblepie

humblepie Well-Known Member

Consider doing this: Tap the cylinder and install a mini bike main jet, or another form of restriction. Only do this if there is sufficient material supporting the hole. Then you can consider taking the middle layer out of the gasket.

I have seen it done, and it has worked. I don't know about long term effects tho..

9. Rodney Vest #310

Rodney Vest #310 Well-Known Member

Sorry man,
    I do rememeber selling the bike and driving to meet you. If I am not mistaken the bike was had a very small crack in the frame but did not effect the bike. I rode the bike for a whole season with no problems with that crack. As far as the forks I had no idea they were bent and could have been that way the whole time I had it. I did race the bike the weekend before I sold it at Jennings GP. It would of had Antifreeze in it becasue the weekend before was the last race of the year. I wish you would have called me when we did the exchange. Do you still have the bike? I hope you have a great Christmas as well.

10. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Sounds like a lot of work to save $70 on a gasket, no?

11. humblepie

Not if the gasket you want to use isn't readily available. It's an alternative, nothing more, nothing less.

12. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

my poo "thanks"? hmm ok. I guess if you would not have acted like an assclown and assumed i "ONLY was saying it was a bad idea so i could sell him one" then maybe we could all be holding hands and singing XMAS SONGS (caps for loud noises)

Seriously a guy that does this for a living says its a bad idea (which ANY good tuner will say) and then offers to sell the guy one out of his stock and not for sale, but to help a guy out cause i know how frustrating it can be to need something and its not a normally stocked item and then someone jumps him for trying to make a sale? REALLY? OHhh Kay, i guess.

Back ON TOPIC, i think if the OP calsl or emails or pm's other known shops on here and ask them, I'm pretty sure they will say the same..just get the right gasket, dont remove the middle layer with the built in oil restrictor. Next time ill try to just stick to pm's for advice if i try to give it i guess. Sorry you guys put your thongs on backwards on this thread.

Carry on... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  13. ed who?

i agree, however a lot of folks only do the top end, and personally i would not suggest (even with grease on the tap) anyone to tap the engine if only doing the top end, and instal a jet, no way to 100% clean it out. that is why while i dont sell the head gaskets, i was offering him one since i think i have 1 or 2 more than that bike i am building this winter. i was just stating to remove the middle layer is a bad idea that many rookies make and i have seen 1st hand what happens if you do. If someone out there is removing it and not had the issues with the cams/journals, then great. However ive seen the bad side of it, and if someone HAS a gasket and is willing to sell ya at only $70-80, why not do it right the first time?

i need an avalanche icon for this thread...or one of a snowball rollin down hill

:beer:

14. humblepie

Yes, you are correct. The case should be disassembled. I should have stated this.

What you got goin' for '09? I'm just here cleaning out my locker.. Woo

15. tcannon521

tcannon521 Well-Known Member

Ed who, while I have your attention. My 07 R6 on a 250i dyno is making 109 with an exhaust and PC mapped. I think my a/f is around 13 all the way across, maybe 12. Is there any other must do's or cheap horsepower mods? Thanks!

16. ed who?

pm sent

17. Perlzuki

Perlzuki Well-Known Member

Rodney,
    Yeah man, I still got the bike. It has treated me well. I took the motor out, had the frame welded, got new forks, put AK 20's in & ride the hell out of it! Anytime anyone buys a used race bike with no title, they get what they got! Did not feel the need to call you about my purchase, as it was now my problem to deal with. Had my first pretty good crash last tday of the year when fork seal blew & went down t1 at VIR N. Shit happens. Bike & me are not too banged up & will be ready for next year. Really did not mean to call you out as if that was the case, I would not have waited 11/2 years! Just didn't want that guy to have any future motor problems. Any time I see you at the track, well have a beer & bench race.

See ya,

Mark

18. digger89

Dude...still over using the caps key. Stop it unless it's really important. You look like a noob. Just FYI. It's internet, not copy for Billy Mays' monologue.

19. ed who?

SORRY FAT FINGERS COVERED IN REDLINE OIL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no problem...this better...ill use my church voice...totally kidding..flame on...

:crackup:

20. tcannon521

tcannon521 Well-Known Member

PM replied!