1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The thread for lame excuses of why you're not currently racing

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, May 21, 2021.

1. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Agreed on the modern bikes, and there are definitely some characters out there.....so, your not currently racing? I am, and I'm probably older than you:)

You should check it out....Laguna and Willow coming up. Yep, I know a couple that would give the forkspring a try given the "Challange" I mean "chance". That sounds like some of the "True Vintage" guys. Alot of them dont see a CB350 as worthy to be amongst them, all the more reason for me to be there and harass them:D

Dave, are you currently racing? I am......You have nailed a couple vintage guys I have seen, altho I've never directly applied most of the techniques you mention......Oh, and you forgot license plates. Body parts (and battery boxes!) made from license plates, and diamond deck, the list goes on. The Beer can repairs only bother me when they show up at the next race a month later to be seen as a "Badge of Honor", WTF is up with that????........Its embarrasing, fix your shit!:crackup: ......Again, there are a few in the WERA Vintage pits that push the envelope here, no doubt!.....I'm too lazy for most of that crap at the track.....Not me but I was there, Tranny replacement (one motor to another) at the track, um, yeah earlier this year!....1am and whiskey was directly involved. I shall leave him nameless, but I was impressed....good friend, always great to see him.

OK, I understand a "hard break" for you, but you are one of the most "Vintage" guys I know Scudder!.....Surely a Ducati guy of your means can pay someone off and get a pit somewhere else instead of hanging out with us rubbish?:beer:

It is a different flavor, no doubt.....Honestly, I spent 20some years building the most advanced aircraft in the world, and I have no desire or feelings for anything motorcycle "New", I could care less.....The newest bike I raced was an EX500, and I didnt like it.....I did test ride an Indian FTR1200 last week, and it was fun, but would I spend money on it? Naa, and its not that I dont have it, its that I dont find it appealing. I just dont care......Oh, and for the record, I cant really afford anything "Real Vintage", but I've always kinda grinned over TZ250's.

The newest bikes I own are both 1991's. I really like them both......OH wait, I bought a scooter for camping, its in the 2010's PCX....Ive registered it and never ridden it yet......Fuel Injection, Pfffttt! F that!

A friend just bought a newer (2018?) Triumph speed triple, stopped by this weekend.....nice bike, I like triples, but he started going thru all the settings and modes and yadda yadda, and I just had to ask "Why?"....no real answer.....not too many people will use alot of that crap, except sitting at the bar.

I just really have no feelings for any motorcycle, all brands, after, I dunno, early 90's.......I guess the closest "design parameter" as a breaking point would be the "air-cooled / water cooled" transition.....none of my bikes have those silly radiators hanging on them.;) ....and I've never been a 2-stroke guy, altho I do find them more appealing than anything new.

Oh, and did I mention that it is nice to be back on track again!:D ......The only thing I'm gonna change from my current racebike setup is to remove the Disk brake and go back to Drum so I can race Sportsman.

Atho there are some good reasons not to, get back out there, its worth it.

Gino230, Boman Forklift and dave3593 like this.
  2. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

If you can keep from it DON'T QUIT!

I fully understand age and other things can keep us away from racing, but I just rode on a regular track for the first time since Covid started and had a great week end! Because it's close and I knew I needed track time I went to Nelson Ledges Lean track day and rode two days this past week end. I'm ready to ride WERA this year now. I was surprised how many old riders were there. Two things I have had to do to be able to keep riding is not get TOO fat and I have cut back (not quit) on beer since it was messing up my sugar levels. I'm 63. Yes I have broken bones and messed up joints from the past.

There was something unexpected and great that happened this week end. For the Friday Twilight session, I road intermediate and was unable to hold a line, was breaking late/early and was frustrated. The problems of not riding for a long time. Saturday they were sold out in intermediate so they asked if I wanted to ride advanced. On my smaller bikes I didn't want to. They allow passing in the afternoon in novice so I said I'd just ride there. During the first rider classroom session the instructor when making groups said "we got two old guys that are experienced racers, can anyone else go with them". I put my hand up. Now there are three old farts together and Ray (of the group) used to be an instructor.

I got more out of the classroom than I expected. Then the three of us went out together and Ray would let a slow group get way out so we could practice while we caught back up to a group. I had enough time behind him and watching to really learn lines at a fast clip. Then the afternoon following Ray and passing was even better! For the first time I was going fast enough to not "hunt" in turns. It was the best I had even ran on an asphalt track.

Friday night I was wondering if I should keep doing this. By Saturday night I was stoked!

Gino230, racer_11, 969 and 6 others like this.
  3. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I've been thinking about this, and I have a few things I'd like to share. By way of context, I am @fastfreddie's wife, and we have been part of the WERA community for about 20 years, racing for some, socially for the rest.

Fred has always been in pursuit of adrenaline, excellence, endorphin rush... that is how he was born, how he is wired. Manifested in a variety of ways, motorhead (cars and bikes), highly competent shooter, etc. All of his bikes and guns are immaculate, you could eat off them. My intrinsic areas of interest are almost purely intellectual or psychological.

When it came time to take up the decision whether to get married, I knew these things about him. I had no wish to alter them, and still don't after 21 years; quite frankly it just does not occur to me.

In the early part of our marriage, he rode with a track day club, and then decided to pursue racing with WERA (he had previous racing experience on a YSR and countless miles on big bikes on the street). Witnessing this journey, it was clear to me that he was a quite competent rider. But that journey is not without physical (for him) and emotional (for me/him) risk. We took that risk on together.

When Fred says that I am supportive of his endeavors, he means it. I am not merely tolerant; I am actively supportive. I witnessed as many of his races as I could chasing a national championship. My mantra for his
    sprint races was "here comes twelve minutes
    of hell"; also, I will go to my grave seeing his fist bump in the air as he won the championship at Road Atlanta. One of the joys of my life, witnessing your life partner accomplishing something they worked so hard to achieve.

What's my point. You seem very responsible, and that's good. But your statement about your wife shutting things down if you crash was a red flag for me. You will crash. Now what? Nevermind not a helpful mindset to learn to ride well. @jrsamples I would have flown out to cheer you on..

4. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Another thing that might make it harder for old guys is many of us like old bikes. You have to be able to work on old bikes and maybe even do suspension/frame set up to ride an old race bike. Another possibility is pay someone to do proper set up. This has to be by someone who really knows how like Mitch Cato.

An easier alternative is there are bikes that fit in "newer" vintage classes or are given specific exceptions that don't need nearly as much attention as the older vintage. I have a FZR600 that is easy to set up and ride, but heavy. It can run in V6 or V7. Talking about exceptions, an EX500 can run as far back as V5. I understand they are good for what they are.

5. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Great post. You are 100% right. If a person isout on the track with the "one and done" mindset they will either wobble around the track at 80% learning very little or potentially throw away a bunch of money on the first race weekend when the red mist drops, a bad decisions is made and the bike gets thrown through the dirt at a high rate of speed.

ToofPic likes this.
  6. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Are you calling me old?

I hope you don't think I've got lots of money because I have a Ducati, believe it or not it is a very cheap bike to race.

7. CharlieY

Kinda, more "Crusty" than old really.:Poke:

I know you are not a rich man Scudder, it was more of a poke at the "Ducati Attitude" in your comment.:) .....I was actually looking forward to drinking a beer and giving you a hard time, as usual (because you are always so angelic and innocent)....then it sounded like you were going to hide?:(

Are you going to qualify for Barber?

8. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Once built, they are not expensive to run. However, have you checked the price of vintage Ducs lately? You could have a new Honda 350 for each round if you sold yours.

9. Robin172

Hope so, NJMP. Gingerman and Tally are the meetings I have lined up plus I'm doing the Concours event in July.

I have no idea what they go for now but in the past they have always been expensive to build and usually never sold at near the money invested in them.

10. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

My conversation with my wife went something like “You can have me safe, or you can have me happy. Tell me what you want to do”

Yzasserina likes this.
  11. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I'm getting ready to give it a go at Joliet Friday. I've done a couple practice days and feel confident enough to grid up. Life is short and if it's something you want to do it's really not too far out of reach and far less expensive at the amatuer level compared to road racing. They have plenty of old man classes but that doesn't mean for a second those guys are slow. LOL

Attached Files:

JBall, beac83, 418 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Lol, I'm hoping that conversation happened prior to your matrimony, and that it went well. I'm assuming yes. :)

13. loser

loser Well-Known Member

Can't wear a helmet until the hair plugs take root.

14. CharlieY

I'll probably see you at Gingerman......this is your warning so you can hide if you feel the need.:crackup:......Bill is looking for some company at NJMP

Are you riding your Duc in the concours?

15. Marcos415

Marcos415 Well-Known Member

I raced with CVMA this past season. Missed the opener and final round but I did do 5 consecutive months of racing. The first 3 were a blast, the 4th was meh, the 5th I hated. I think I’m sitting this next season out. All that wrenching, driving, money spent, and weekends away from non moto friends/family over 5 consecutive months burned me out. I’ll do track days here and there at other tracks for the rest of 2021. If I catch the bug again it will be with a race org that does multiple tracks throughout the season. The money saved will go towards traveling and a house.

MachineR1, Gino230 and 418 like this.
  16. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

You have any sisters? :D

969, ToofPic and Boman Forklift like this.
  17. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Indeed I do. PM me your resume. Full disclosure, I am the sweet one. Go big or go home. :crackup:

ToofPic, Boman Forklift and cav115 like this.
  18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I was laughing over here waiting for your post. :D

Yzasserina likes this.
  19. Robin172

Howard?

Indeed I am.

20. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Thank you for considering your health while onboard a missile in traffic. My ticker took a shit (ideopathic) and the meds they first prescribed kept me from climbing trees confidently, but I was up there with a chainsaw like Slim Pickens riding a nuclear bomb to a Soviet target. :D I figured no way was I gettin' on the track and potentially endangering others. I've since found meds that allow me to function, but the idea that I would be on track is untested as of yet.

My thoughts have oscillated between "hang up the two-wheeled asphalt riding" and "get a quad or sxs". Ironically, I think and always have, quads are the most dangerous for a rider...that's why I like the Raptor 700. o_O If you're gonna bin it, bin big. :D And dirt bikes hurt more, regardless that you're moving slower than on asphalt, but I'll not give up my 426.
    I like Honda's Talon, too. In a cage? Unleash the rage! :crackup:

cav115 likes this.