1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Formula One Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jan 16, 2014.

1. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

I dont watch F1 but did watch alittle FP1 last night. But why when the lotus came in and had problems did the whole crew have gloves of just to push the car back to the pit?

2. SUPER K

SUPER K Run-off Tester

Aren't the energy storage systems basically giant capacitors, I couldn't imagine the amount of stored electricity . Ever get ahold of a hot coil?

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

There is a real danger of getting shocked by the cars. If you look right above the air intakes, there are lights that signal when it's safe or not to touch the car. You can either touch the car or the ground, but not both. That's why you see drivers jump out of the cars when they stop on the track. You don't want to step out one foot at a time.

4. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

I can see that going horribly wrong! :down:

5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I did not know that.

6. assjuice cyrus

So feel free to say shut up stupid, but are these 12volts,24volt,36volt cars? And why the need to store so much energy?

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I have no idea what the voltage is, but it needs to power about 160 hp-worth of electric motor.

8. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

The cars have hybrid powertrains

9. assjuice cyrus

:confused::confused:

Ok, Gonna need some more info on this?

10. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Power comes from a 600 HP V6 combined with 150 HP electric motor. You have big batteries and all kinds of systems to generate electricity from braking and kinetic energy. I don't know the details of how everything works but if it goes wrong, the electric shock is going to be a bit stronger than what you would get from touching the door handle on your truck in the winter. :D

12. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Haha I take your point

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

They said these are the most expensive engines ever designed for any type of race car.

14. assjuice cyrus

Thanks.:beer:

15. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

They have ruined the sound of F1 cars.

16. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

^^ seriously. there should be some rule that the cars MUST be loud and mean. im sure we'll get used to it, but im going to miss the prev sound for at least half this season.

trap speeds looks great though. hooray for torque.

17. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Spoiler alert

SPOILER……...Watching these guys qualify in the wet, with no traction control, pretty amazing. Vettel really struggling, starts 13th, his new teammate starts 2nd. Hamilton on pole! The McClaren team looks strong also. It will be an interesting start from row 6….Kimi and Vettel.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Qualifying was a blast.

19. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

The sound from the turbos is a nice touch, but I agree the cars sound horrible. It's enough to distract from those stupid noses. The sound reminds me of Mac's mom from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
    [​IMG]

Between the new power plants and lack of downforce, the cars look like a handful to drive. The new steering wheel that some teams are using look more like computer screens than a steering wheel and have more buttons, switches and dials than the joint strike fighter.

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

How about the crowd cheering at Vettel for failing to make q3? Ouch.