1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stock suspension

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Snipes20, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Snipes20

Snipes20 Active Member

So I've only done about three track days and one race school but I was wondering why everyone is telling me to upgrade my suspension. What is so wrong with stock forks and shocks??? Im new and only running four secs behind the competitive racers and Im on stock gearing and stock engine. please tell me what the cheapest upgrade for suspesion is (no money for a ohlins shock or anything) and why I would do it

Thanks in advance for the help and advice:beer:

2. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Get it resprung and set up for your weight and ride.

3. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

What he said....

4. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

:beer:

That's all the "upgrade" you'll need. If you're around 160lb, you don't even really need it resprung.

See also:

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Depending of what bike you're on, nothing is wrong with the stock suspension except the valving, progressive springs, fork oil, air gap, mechanical bottom outs and geometry.

:D

And running 4 seconds off what competitive racers? Experts? Novices? Consider that by the end of a 7 lap sprint race, you'll be about 30 seconds behind the leaders.

And +1 to what a few others said. Put real springs in the forks, and have the fluid refreshed with real fork juice, have the shock looked at, get the geometry set up, and ride until you have a problem. Then, work with whoever does trackside support at the tracks you ride.

Learning to go fast on a well set up machine prevents you from developing bad riding habits. (I've worked with quite a few track day guys and racers that often used trail braking when they didn't need to slow down to compensate for having too much rebound in their forks. They were using the brakes to keep the nose down and turn the bike when they didn't need to scrub speed.)

6. Snipes20

Snipes20 Active Member

ok well I have an 09 gixxer 6 and Im about 185 fully geared...what does getting it "resprung" mean?? buy new springs for the forks?? I have had the forks apart and everything is still mint...I have also set my sag and rebound for me but Im not sure how to set the high and low speed compresion right so I have kinda just winged it with that

7. Snipes20

Snipes20 Active Member

Ok New language....Im a stunter coming into this meaning that new fork seals could just be a rag with zip tie on it lol....I dont have the money to have someelse work on my bike.....I am a mechanic and can turn the wrenches if I know what to do.

First fork oil: the bike would still have the stock stuff in it so what would be a good replacement??

progressive springs: I think that the stock one are 0.95 (not possitive). are stock 0.95 different then aftermarket 0.95?? how would i find out what springs are right??

Valving: Can I machine the stock valving to make it better or is the only option putting in emulators or whole new cartriges....I have seen the race tech stuff

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

As mike said above, most streetbikes these days come with progressive rate springs, for track use you really want linear rate springs.

Additionally, often times the springs rates are a little lopsided with a stiffer rear spring intended to support the extra weight of a passenger since it is sold first as a streetbike.

9. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

yep..... springs and fresh fluid.

10. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

For fork oil, I like the Silkolene PRO RSF fluids. Make sure it is the PRO RSF fluid. The lower level Silkoloene doesn't perform the same. But fork oils are like motor oils; you'll find 10 guys giving you 10 different oils and 10 different reasons why they like it. For stock valving, use either the 7.5W or 10W Silkolene juice. Air gap is important. Also, while you have the fork apart, it would be a good time to remove the mechanical bottom in the cart.

As far as springs, yes, an aftermarket linear spring is preferred over the OEM progressive spring. For your weight on that bike, depending on your pace, a .95 should be a good starting point.

I wouldn't fuss with the stock pistons. You can face them, but I wouldn't get into modifying the fluid ports unless you knew what you were doing. A lot of companies make very good 20mm piston kits that will come with a good piston and the right stack.

To be honest, you would get a lot better results at least consulting with a suspension tech in your area. If you plan on racing and want to do well, you're going to need to work with a tuner sooner or later. Now is just a good a time as any to start that relationship. Lots of people are competent with spinning wrenches, but a good bit of what you're paying your suspension tech for is his knowledge. How forks are built is often more important than the spec of the parts in them. A good tuner will get you where you need to be quickly, work with you on your budget and give you a bike that's easier to ride faster and won't toss you off.

To me, that seems worth it. At least, that's what I tell my customers.

:D

11. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

I've also found that the stock suspension doesn't allow for much adjustibility. The when you are trying to set comp/reb stiffness you pretty much go from soft to full hard in about 1/2 turn of the adjuster. After market valves will give you more adjustibility. If you don't dabble in adjusting your suspension then i wouldn't worry about the valves yet. Just get some springs matched to your weight.

12. Snipes20

Snipes20 Active Member

well Thanks everyone for the advice....I will take some and get some new springs and talk to a suspension guy. If it makes a difference I will be very happy but I have been pretty happy with the stock stuff.....especially the rear which lets me drift the back end around when I want to.

Thanks again

13. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

:D:D

Oh yea, and dont forget, if you go too far out of range with your springs than stock (too stiff, too soft)... your valving wont work very well with the new springs... then you have new problems:D

14. 418

418 Expert #59

I think you mean, not enough rebound?

15. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

not enough rebound damping... or too much rebound.

16. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

Fresh fluid is half the battle. I know guys that rarely change fork fluid. I prefer to swap mine out at least once or twice a year!

17. BREEZE..b.ball

BREEZE..b.ball Well-Known Member

Learning to go fast on a well set up machine prevents you from developing bad riding habits. (I've worked with quite a few track day guys and racers that often used trail braking when they didn't need to slow down to compensate for having too much rebound in their forks. They were using the brakes to keep the nose down and turn the bike when they didn't need to scrub speed.)[/QUOTE]

what a differnce:up::up::up::up::up::up:

18. steve802cc

steve802cc Well-Known Member

Get hold of john sharard http://www.acceltechracing.com next time your at a turn2 or pro6 track day. For aprox $50 he'll set your suspension in the morning and adjust it all day.
    Later
    Steve

19. Snipes20

Snipes20 Active Member

Have we met steve??? your on osr too right. I think the first pro6 day I have is gonna be at mosport in july...I have never been to calibogie for a turn 2 thing. thanks for pointing me in the right direction

20. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

MetricMike is tha man...:up: