1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stock R6 engine life?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by rpm894, May 17, 2023.

1. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

I have a 2019 R6 with nothing internal done to the engine with about 4000 track miles on it. I’m wonder when I should consider a rebuild or if it is possible that it’ll last long enough, being stock, that I just keep running it until it breaks. I have about 30 more trackdays scheduled for this season, and I might start racing but racing is probably next year.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

what is it you think is wrong?
    How many oil changes in that 4000 miles?? Is the engine tuned to the fuel you run?
    How many times have you checked the valve shim clearances?
    FYI most race engine builders recommend inspections at 600-800 race miles & frequent oil changes.
    Track days typically aren't that hard on equipment other than consumables or crashes. Racing is a lil more demanding hence why some folks employ a "B" bike strategy.

3. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

I don't think anything is wrong right now. I just have no idea what to expect out of it.

I change the oil about every 6 days. It has a flashed ECU for pump gas. I've never checked the valves.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you should keep a detailed logbook of the services performed as a bible so you're not guessing.
    Many racers keep a logbook with track maps, gearing, suspension & tire pressure settings so they have a solid base to tune from at every event.
    Since its a stock motor just use a factory service manual to track engine condition like compression & valve clearances.
    Race weekends tend to be hectic so I would try to do everything possible at home without a post time stress event thrown in.
    Things like torque marking axles, safety wire clips, clip on positions, etc. Get used to swapping wheels & have a spare set if funds allow.
    This will allow you to focus before a race & study a track map. Then once the grid calls finish & youre on hot pit rolling out to grid your brain will be ready.

Gino230 likes this.
  5. OutOfSpec

OutOfSpec eccentric thousandaire

The Yamaha engineers know what they're doing and design their engines with track use in mind. 4k track miles is really minimal - as long as you've been staying on top of oil changes, don't sweat it. Even if you wanted to periodically rebuild your engine as preventive maintenance, the cost of a rebuild can come close to or exceed the cost of just sourcing a used engine to throw in if your current one dies. (This may be worth the cost and effort for a built race engine if you're at the really sharp end, may not be worth it otherwise...). Run your engine as is until a problem develops.

In the meantime, just take care of your engine and it'll be fine. Establish a baseline by actually measuring various 'health' metrics for your engine (beyond total miles): check the valve clearances, perform compression and/or leak down tests, measure oil pressure, send oil samples to Blackstone or similar company for analysis. Get crazy and poke around with a borescope to check for any damage to internals. Check these things periodically.

If you have a problem that warrants a rebuild or replacement, you will hopefully see advanced warning through a change in these metrics over time, rather than "it ran one day and blew up the next." You'll also get an idea for what the actual problem is to fix, rather than going straight to a full rebuild.

6. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i've had GSXR600 motors last 5-7 race seasons. just keep changing the oil and checking your valves and it'll be good for a long time.

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

If you wait for it to break, there probably won't be much left to re-use. Leak down tests are good indicators that it's time to freshen it.

Tanturi and doubleapex like this.
  8. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

People that run'em until they break usually are left with a scrap motor as the cases can take some damage. Worst case scenario you leave a trail of oil on the track for the riders behind you, and now you're scrambling to find a motor as you start missing race weekends. Preventative maintenance is key.

9. AFC

AFC Well-Known Member

Have raced an r6 for several seasons. The titanium valves wear, the small ends ovalize. Depending how hard you run it - overrev, downshifting - I would have the motor rebuilt after 8-10 club racing weekends running 4-5 sprints. I have had a couple engine failures running them longer. R6 has been around a long time, there is a bunch on different forums/posts. It will all vary based on your riding and setup. It can also be cheaper to buy a motor than rebuild. GSXR is a lot more robust, +/- with each one as you know.