1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sponsorship

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

In 45 years of being in the m/c industry I saw a lot of crazy things that were both good and bad from people looking for sponsorship or discounts. So, I will offer my suggestions for sponsorship ideas whether you want them or not.

· Being fast helps but it’s not mandatory, being professional in your approach is just as important.

· Start with getting your data with the race orgs correct and up to date. While listing “self” as your sponsor may be true, you should list products that you use. When I was trying to find fast good guys and ladies around North America to help, I would look at this data on a regular basis. And from my perspective if you’re not proud enough to list the products you use then you aren’t really serious about your racing and trying to move it forward. So, if you are truly looking for sponsorship you need to appear to be professional in your approach. Finally while some would say that putting the stickers on the bike requires compensation, but that doesn’t really fit in here because you aren’t well established yet.

· At the track keep your bikes, pit area, and your appearance clean and looking good. And make sure your bike is stickered the way the manufacturer(s) prefer. If you put a helmet sticker on your front fender and no tire sticker, we aren’t happy.

· Be properly active on social media. Properly means you act mature and professional at all times! But having 10K or even 100K followers is good it’s not an end all for getting help from the industry.

· Bring your friends, fans, and new racers to your favorite shop, race tire truck, or suspension guy. If you help them sell more, I can guarantee that you will get more help from them in return.

· Send race reports and updates at least bi-monthly to your sponsors and those manufacturers whose products you use. And do this at the end of the season too with your results!

· Be loyal and truthful to your sponsors! If you are getting free product and running brand X instead because you think no one knows we will find out, so stop it!

If you are sponsored by a shop or dealership do this for them

· Show the employees why the owner is helping you. Running stickers and winning some races doesn’t do jack shit for the store. You should be doing stuff like this:

· Show up for open houses with your bike(s) to display and talk to the customers and help them sell stuff.

· Be active in your local community. For instance, if you can get the local paper (either print and digital) to do a story about you because you helped the high school auto shop class understand general m/c repair and maintenance you are giving your sponsors EXPOSURE, and guess what they like this!

· Offer the store your help with street rides or track days. Riding and maybe a bit of coaching the store’s customers goes a long way. And while you are there you explain why you use Arai helmets, Pirelli tires, DP brakes, etc.

· Ask them if they need you to work or display at consumer or trade shows. Sure, you can ask for fees to do so but don’t get greedy!

· Do you want to get more help from a manufacturer? Get your dealer/shop to stock the products you use if they don’t already. For instance, if you get the parts dept to stock Silkolene because it’s your choice then you have proven you are worthy of being helped.

· Make sure the parts/accessories staff get your input on the products you use so they can sell more of the same stuff. BUT DO NOT and I mean absolutely do not talk to the shop/dealer’s customers about products that you use but the shop doesn’t sell.

· And please stop in every month or so and hang around for an hour or two and help them sell stuff.

· Interact with the new and used vehicle sales staff and tell them why your bike is so fun to ride, etc. Remember not every sales person is a roadracer, so your input can be used by them while talking to their street bike customers.

· Make sure the local PU/TR/WPS rep(s) know what you are doing to help the store. But don’t be an ass about it and use tact. Our industry is small and if other industry peeps know that you’re doing a great job you will build your reputation and be more sponsor worthy to other companies.

· Manufacturer reps spend a fair amount of time traveling visiting dealers and if I was traveling with a PU, TR, or WPS rep and he’s talking about ABC Cycle and their sponsored racer is helping them sell more Pirellis then HELL yes you got my attention.

· And if you can buy your kid a PW50 from your dealer and get them riding. You need to help create the next generation of m/c riders and maybe even a road racer in 12 years or so?

In closing I didn’t care how fast you were, BUT if the local store is helping you and they are stocking the products you use (including Pirelli) then you have done your job and deserve sponsorship help.

2. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Jeff,
    Good advice. back when I was at Action Honda/Suzuki and we were helping racers, it was all about return on the investment and exposure. The owner and the Honda engineers loved it when I had my CBR600F parked right in the middle of the service area for customers to look at. It helped sell lots of product.

So, I am thinking about running the endurance race at the GNF on my SV. Do you want to ride and can you get us sponsored for tires? :crackup:

3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

I hope come down and ride in the woods at highland park (very near to Barber) Saturday and then gnf on Sunday. And fyi I'm still trying to fit in the vansons, close but not yet.:confused:

4. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

You still have time to get small enough for the leathers. I have lots of room on the bike for sponsor stickers and it is set up for Pirellis, just needs new ones. Maybe we can get Grissom out.

BTW, just so the new riders don't think we are trashing up a valuable thread, endurance racing is a great way to get track time and exposure for sponsors. A couple of decent riders can get good endurance results and that is valuable to sponsors. The best way to get an endurance ride is to just start putting it out there and see what happens. Either use your bike or start asking about riding with somebody else.

5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Man I'm trying but and I'm getting there, but I like bourbon and food. :p
    And for sure if you're going and I can make it I'll get Mike and the kid to show up.

Nick_OMC likes this.
  6. sportracer07

sportracer07 Well-Known Member

So when is a good time to send in a resume to try to get sponsorship for the next season? Meaning to company's like Vortex, Dunlop etc. After the race season is over? Or send it in now?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Now and follow up. Or just call and ask, each company is different on their ad budget timelines.

8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Too early because you don't want it sitting on the bottom of the email box or pile. They should go out end of September as most companies start the budget planning with their bosses in October.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Like I said, overall I'd call. Gotten weird requests this early from some over the years.

10. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

It's October so time for a bump!

12. ____Kurt____

____Kurt____ Active Member

Thank you for posting a great thread. I have been doing track days for about 2-3 seasons now and really started going frequently this year, and now I have the urge to get my license and give racing a try next season. Considering my budget and the cost of racing, I'm seeing what my options are for assistance with anything in the form of a sponsorship. This thread gives a great sense of direction to start heading in. Thanks again.

13. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i've had the same exact conversation with several riders lately.

i always stress to them that being fast doesnt bring in much business. so how are you going to bring in them money, because results dont do much.

14. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

A bump one year later!

15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

It's 2023 so time for a bump

Phl218 and sheepofblue like this.
  17. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

end of every year, i send social media stats of engagement, top 9 posts, top post, top reel, top post geared towards that brand, as well as data showing ages, gender, and location to show that i'm engaging with their targeted audience. On top of this, i send monthly newsletters with updates, class standings, results, upcoming events, as well as other news they need to be informed of. In addition, i reach out throughout the year to see if there are new products they want me to promote, or what trending hashtags they prefer.

when I get asked online or in the paddock about sponsors, i tell them this stuff. the riders always tell me it's too much work and they just want to slap a sticker on their bike. then i tell them that's why they dont get the sponsorship offers they're looking for. if you're not putting in the work and have a plan to bring them more business, then you dont deserve free product or racing expenses paid.

Rance Taylor likes this.
  18. Rance Taylor

Rance Taylor Well-Known Member

Damn good info right there!!

19. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

you have to really prove your value you bring to a brand and why you deserve to get their support.

we're a dime a dozen, and what makes you so special? sure you're a fast rider, but how many people are going to go to your tire vendor and say "i want _____'s tires, because i saw his laptimes or a sticker on your bellypan"? but how many people will go to a tire vendor and say "i was talking to ____ and i want to try your tires". see the difference? you have to put the work out there to earn the sponsorship level you want....and that doesnt mean being the fastest rider out there.

Rance Taylor likes this.