1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speeding ticket question N.C. vs. G.A. ?

Discussion in 'General' started by seven4eight, Oct 31, 2007.

1. seven4eight

seven4eight Well-Known Member

Got a 70/55 citation in Graham Co. (Robbinsville) NC last month and was wondering if it will show on my insurance if I am a resident of GA? Clerk said she would put a note into the DA to plead it down to 9 mph over, but it will still be an infraction. Anyone have any experiences with this, getting a ticket in another state, and the impact on ins? One of my first speeding tickets so I am curious

2. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

All states bordering North Carolina have had reciprication on traffic tickets since I was a kid. So your ticket in North Carolina will also be reported in Georgia. Atleast that's my understanding. I've never had to go through this myself.

3. paperclip

paperclip D'oh!

It'll show on your record regardless, it is up to the state to charge you on it, and on top of that up to the insurance. As joe stated, every state that touches NC will post that ticket like if it was theirs.

4. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I got a double yellow passing ticket back in 2000 on Ga. 60. Paid the fine over the phone and the ticket never showed up on my Mississippi record. Ga. does not share DMV records not sure about NC. I am inclined to think they do share.

5. seven4eight

seven4eight Well-Known Member

thats what I was afraid of......oh well driving record has been pretty good, maybe insurance wont go up too much. Thanks guys

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

They do share. As of about 4 years ago, I don't think the state automatically reported all infractions to insurance companies. That may have changed.

My last speeding ticket (received in SC) never showed up on my insurance. However, now that I think of it it may have been a PJC with a fine. Greenwood SC was looking for revenue and getting off of a ticket of 40 over for $100 was a deal for me.

7. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

in nc they have two sets of points. I got 9mph over, got no insurance points ,but got 2 points from the dmv towards my driving licence (for some reason it does not go against insurance)

here is there phone# 919-715-7000

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  8. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

Whitney got a ticket in South Carolina a few years back. I'm pretty sure that all she had to do was send a check. No court and no points AFAIK.

9. Trev230EX

Trev230EX Put me in coach

Ga does share with NC.

I received one a while back for 85 in a 55, oops, somewhere not too far from Road A.

It took 3 years for the ticket to come back to NC but when it did they tried to take my license! Had to get me a lawyer on that one.

10. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Most insurance quotes have 1 infraction included in the rate they give you. Check with your ins company to see if it will go up.

11. Fo' Sheezy

Fo' Sheezy something clever

I used to be an Allstate customer service rep (in GA) and in my experience, if the points show up on your license then yes, it will show up on your insurance. It's just a matter of if it's considered a major ticket (15+ in some states, 20+ in others) or minor, as to show much it has an affect on your insurance. If they are changing it to only show 9 mph over then it shouldn't be that bad. It was never consistent but usually if the states don't border each other then the ticket doesn't show up.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007