1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SpaceX

Discussion in 'General' started by Chasbro, Sep 28, 2019.

1. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

4th time for that booster. It's currently the life leader. Starlink missions are going to push the re-usability of the vehicles to the max.

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

And first re-used fairing, yes?

3. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Yup.

(Also, sorry for the huge picture...didn't think it would be that big!)

motion likes this.
  4. rwdfun

rwdfun

Meh. Same ole same ole. I want the BFR nooooooowwww

Also, you watching the everyday astronaut too.

I always just watched the SpaceX feed and didn't know others narrated over it. Watched his feed this time. Recently discovered his YouTube channel and now know more about rocket engines than I ever thought possible.

5. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I enjoy Tim's take on things and he does a good job of not being intrusive to the content of the stream. As you've seen, his videos are generally pretty high production value, especially the ones over the last year or so. I'm assuming you already have seen it, but if not, the Raptor engine video is probably his best to date.

6. rwdfun

rwdfun

"Is the Raptor the king of rocket engines" vid? Then yes. I liked the fuel type comparison portion. It does confirm that SpaceX (Musk) is thinking smartly about things. Can't just get to space Have to do it "affordably"

Yeah it would be cool to have a carbon fiber rocket. It's the latest greatest material. BUT it's not actually as cost effective or good as SS. Boom decision made abandon carbon fiber.

mpusch likes this.
  7. Chasbro

Chasbro Well-Known Member

Anybody see the Mk1 blow up today? Labpadre's utube channel has the 5 minute version. I was just there on Monday shooting bootleg video.

8. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Yup. I was a bit bummed out when I heard, but that's the iterative process I guess!

Statement from Spacex (there were rumors this morning of this *before* the incident today).

Attached Files:

9. rwdfun

rwdfun

Funny I was just trying to view the feed yesterday and it was either showing nothing or an old feed. Now I know why.

Also, I'd call it more of an unplanned decompression event. I think of flames for it be called an explosion, even though Websters might disagree with me

10. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

In-flight abort test scheduled for 10am Est. Last major test before they send up humans.

Should be a fun one to launch given that there is going to be some kind of interesting destruction of the craft, and it's not a bad thing :)

11. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Pretty damn cool!

mpusch likes this.
  12. Like a real life crash test, very cool stuff indeed.

13. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the rocket exploded due to breaking apart, or because of a self destruct signal?

14. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

It was a successful self destruct signal.

A. Barrister likes this.
  15. speedluvn

From what I saw on the news, it was simulated crew/astronaut eject and the remainder of the rocket was self destructed. That’s my understanding of the successful test.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  16. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

There was talk on the lead up to the test, that the booster might break up due to aero forces after the separation of the crew capsule. No mention that I heard was made of using the self destruct to blow up the booster. I wasn't sure if that caused the explosion, or they sent the self destruct signal. If it didn't break up, I was hoping they would try to land the booster. But it looks like that was not in the plan for the test.

17. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Are you sure about that? I mean that genuinely. Haven't heard it as fact from a legitimate source yet, but I could have just missed it.

18. speedluvn

I’m pretty sure I saw it on World News between football games.

19. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Negative ghost rider. The flight computer intentionally changed the limit for minimum velocity threshold making the vehicle think that it’s going too slow. This triggered the launch escape system to activate in a flight like manner.

The abort system shuts down the 9 booster engines whilst simultaneously starting up the 8 super dracos onboard the dragon capsule.

The abort was initiated at max-q to maximize stresses on the vehicle as it jettisoned and, as you and others mentioned, the booster breaking up was an anticipated yet unavoidable result of losing the aerodynamic capsule sitting on top of the stack.

mpusch, motion and Montoya like this.
  20. speedluvn

Not disputing any of it but World News on NBC I could have sworn that they reported it as a success.