1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

You’re not going ride a small bike and not have vibes. Slow down and enjoy the trip.

I’d take the newest Versys 300-X I could afford. Pack light, soft bags, etc. You might question that choice. However, it’s physically small, pretty light, a twin, decent wind protection, EFI to deal with altitude, and many other good things. I know a couple who’ve ridden a pair of them all over North America, with zero issues. You will NEED an aftermarket seat, though.

The late Iohan Gueorguiev has excellent bikepacking videos of the area, on YT. It’s worth searching his name and having a look. It’s an amazing area, captured by an amazing person.

Wingnut likes this.
  2. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Florida

3. Captain Morgan

or maybe fly to San Deigo and buy a bike there to make it easier

4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

KLR650 then. The perfect bike. You could also look into a Tenere 700.

5. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Great bikes for sure, but IMHO, only suitable for a Pedrosa-sized dude or a female. Its going to be struggling with an average size guy and gear running long days on the highway.

ducnut likes this.
  6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I rode my KLR from San Diego to the Guatemala border last spring. Super happy with that choice.

7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

You have the most amazing pictures :beer:

8. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

Planning a trip and my road jacket is just too heavy. Any suggestions for a breathable jacket
    Thanks

9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

10. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

My DR650 cruised quite comfortably at 70-75 mph, at least from a vibe standpoint. It had a Seat Concepts seat that was pretty comfortable by DS standards anyway. I would want some wind protection if going a long ways at those speeds.

11. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I like my Klim Induction so far.

rd400racer likes this.
  12. Captain Morgan

wind protection is important, i have a dummy brain that I think the farther south in the world I go the warmer it gets. Turns out its not true buying over priced clothes in airports

13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Check Madstad’s website, for whatever bikes you’re considering. I have Mark’s setup on my Tiger 800, with two different sized shields. Madstad is the industry standard, for effectiveness.

14. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I’m doing a trip with a couple of friends next week. We are riding to Michigan and taking the Badger westbound. Then we are going to ride through Wisconsin and the U.P. and back across the Mackinac bridge. Any advice? We have a few ideas, but mostly have a very loose plan.

15. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I read this a loooong time ago. Maybe you could grab some parts of it.

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/upper-peninsula-adventure-trail-upat-1250-miles.627424/

SteveThompson likes this.
  16. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Tanks bra!

SuddenBraking likes this.
  17. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Bought a Pan America, doubt I'll ever adventure it though... got a perfectly good 500 XC W for dirty work.

ducnut likes this.
  18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Beers at Breakers exit 313 I-75 25 miles south of the bridge on your return trip?

SteveThompson likes this.
  19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

There's a bunch of small waterfalls on the west side of the UP you can check out. The Fitz up in the Kewanau serves good food and in Copper Harbor there is an execellent restuarant. Check out Les Cheanaux culinary school for some good eats too.
    And f spell check on this phone

20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Check out lake of the clouds and porcupine mountains