1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

GS adventure.

Thing has never let me down, cruise control and heated grips to work, will carry anything.

Ridden all over my local technical off road single track and jumped a few MX jumps (this is the only place you feel the weight).

Was my first experience off road until I bought a WR250F.

Had the TKC knobbies on from day one, they are good for cruising and handle mud.

It is a true all arounder. Huge gas tank, electric suspension, push button start, integrated GPS, hard cases keyed to bike. Turn off the electronics and wheelie bye the tuner cars always gets a laugh.

I have more cash into my R1, but they are different bikes for sure.

rd400racer likes this.
  2. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

The Orange KoolAid is Strong
    '00 640Adv
    '03 625SXC
    '06 950Adv

3. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Totally depends on the type of ADV riding you want to do. I have a WR250X with both 17” wheels w 50/50 tires and 18/21” wheels w DOT knobbies (and a set of ice tires ). Got a few extra farkles too. Best of both worlds, go-anywhere dead reliable bike. Been an awesome ride so far.

But it is a bit underpowered sometimes on the road for longer rides. So I’m thinking of adding something like an F800gs or Tiger Explorer 800 in the near future.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  4. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Oh hi, i’ve seen your name pop up elsewhere

Tiger 800

5. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

I picked up a 2007 F650GS. I like it a lot better than the KLR I had.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

j cal likes this.
  6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

The 650 Dakars and GS's are great bikes. Much better HP than the KLR. Nice!

7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I agree, good bikes, but would you ride it 1,000 miles from the nearest dealer?

8. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Not on the Interstate...but two lane and dirt, hell yes...I have spent a week on it, and may take it to Colorado for 10 days in July. (Unless the SXC goes).

9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

60-100 lbs heavier, according to this site: http://www.texasadventure.net/bikes-and-gear/how-much-do-they-really-weigh/

Agree that the 800 is much better on the asphalt than a KLR.

10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

11. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I rode a friend's 690 on our Washington BDR ride a couple years ago. I was shocked at how much it vibrated! The KLR is a fricken sofa compared to that thing!

13. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

My first foray onto the trails is with a KDX200. Recently moved to Colorado so want to spend time exploring the mountains.

Have you looked at the new Husqvarna 701 Enduro? That looks like an ideal rig that balances moto capability bias with a road capable ride. But I don’t have riding experience with it, yet.

14. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Since I've been driving up and down to Cabo San Lucas from AZ I'm dreaming about an ADV bike. I've only sat on the KTM and BMW, dealer won't allow any test rides. But I'll be at the Overland Expo in Flagstaff in May and KTM is supposed to have demo bikes.

Following this thread with a notepad.

15. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Current ADV bikes:

2010 KTM990R.

2017 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Enduro

1985 Cagiva Elefant 650

2000 Honda XR650R

2001 KTM400EXC

1972 Bultaco Sherpa T

1993 Honda XR600

1971 BSA B50MX

1973 BSA Hornet

Former ADV bikes:

2005 KTM450EXC

1995 Honda Africa Twin

1993 KLR650

1992 Beta 250

1999 Honda XR650R

1972 Yamaha DT250

1972 Triumph Tiger

Entered in 2018 Alcan 5000 - should be a good way to see the NW and Alaska - going and coming back.

Cheers,

Dave

16. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

R or S?
    I sat on an R at Commonwealth and gave up on a KTM adventure. Then I sat on an S and bought it. I'm loving it so far.

17. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I have owned the 640 for going on 8yrs the SXC for 7yrs and the 950 for 5...it is no different than owning a MuscleCar...do the basic work first...do it right, you have shit ton of fun for a long time.

I don't put a lot of stock in magazine "Tests"...but I also don't own a new Kubota tractor, I have a '53 Furguson TO30 (it is kinda like a KLR650) :)

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

What?!?!?

The MOAB sticker is gone? :(

19. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

My buddy just bought one last year. Did you put a skid plate on yours? That oil filter placement has me pretty concerned.

20. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

That bike sounded SWEET the other day...the echo thru the woods was Wonderful to hear...