1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Side hustle- ATMs

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Jan 27, 2023.

1. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Other than "He Who Shan't Be Named", has anyone here done ATMs as a (somewhat) passive income/side hustle?

Pros/Cons?

How about Crypto ATMs??

Thanks in advance.

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I heard they're extremely hard to crack open.... :D

3. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

Seen em do it in prons .... don't look sanitary to me.

SuddenBraking and cpettit like this.
  4. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

Isn't that the business the next president of the united states paris hiltons suitor he who shall not be named was in?
    Maybe ask him???

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

In a time when they're trying to make more and more things digital/cashless. I dunno, it might be a dying industry???

sanee and 418 like this.
  6. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I haven't really noticed any ATMs for years. Do people still use them?

sanee likes this.
  7. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I've heard that Crypto is the 'next big thing' for making money these days...

8. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Jesse Pinkman knows how...

Sabre699 and Razr like this.
  9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I think you're 20 years late to the ATM business.

Spooner, 418 and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  10. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Where'd the pay phones go?

11. brex

brex Well-Known Member

We took a road trip up around Mt. Rushmore and surrounding areas the summer before last. We stayed in the little town of Keystone just outside Mt. Rushmore. There were two pay phones next to a public restroom, it was a bit funny to see people taking pics of the phones. But then I ended up doing the "history tour" bit to my son, explaining what they were for and that they used to be everywhere. He had never seen one before that.

Razr likes this.
  12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I haven't used an ATM in years. When I need cash, I just get a few bucks when I make a purchase with a debit card.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

LOL...I have noticed the remnants of 2 pay phones in Augusta (there may be more, but I don't pay that close attention). One location is just the wire hanging down whith no phone remainiong. The other, just up the road, is a phone, no handset, no service wire.

14. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

I use them when we are at our place in Baja to get pesos.
    It's always fun to look at the balance in pesos, too.

SirCrashAlot and Phl218 like this.
  15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Ya'll need to spend more time in "da ghetto". Lots of ATM's at the local Bodega...low fees of course. :rolleyes:

DucatiBomber likes this.
  16. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

"I ain't no skank!" she said. :crackup:

sharkattack and auminer like this.
  17. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Nope. I spoke with him twice in my life. Two times too many.

18. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

I know someone who has been in the "portable" ATM business for a number of years. He does very well at it but has had contracts on locations for years and no one else is getting into his turf. He only does special events, think short term, longest venue 3 weeks where there are many vendors such as food, t-shirts and alcohol who only accept cash.
    He said the way to make money is lock up the territory, butter up the vendors to do "cash only" and point those who need cash to his ATM.
    Also he limits the withdrawal amount to $50 per transaction fee so people in the small area will hit it more than once.
    He services his machines and it is a huge risk he takes. I have been sitting with him and he gets pinged from a machine that needs filling and he carries an unreal amount of cash on him as well as cash stashed all over in vehicles, house etc. Not many know his business and he looks dirt poor so he has avoided any trouble so far but he takes a huge risk everyday he has machines out.

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I used to use them at the airport or on the way there for petty cash. Change over to whatever currency I needed at the airport. Germany seemed to still be cash driven, a lot of places I thought CC might be too risky but China was going cashless so I still have some Mao money laying around.
    Haven’t touched one in a few years.

20. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Beat me to it. :crackup::crackup::crackup:

sharkattack and Sabre699 like this.