1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shingles, who's had it?

Discussion in 'General' started by se3 racer, Oct 30, 2019.

1. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

There’s more than one shingles vaccine out there. Get the shingrex vaccine. It’s a two-shot regime, and it’s 90-95% effective. The other one-shot vaccine is way less effective. I had been bugging my mom to get the shingrix shot for a couple of years now (she’s 84) but she didn’t listen and now her left side has a large, really painful area that is making her miserable.

2. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

SIL had it in the worst possible place as well. It gave the rest of the family a wakeup call.
    After all the shots and diseases I had as a military brat and traveling the world as a squid I wasn't interested in a shingles vacc until she got it. I get cold sores easily and don't want that feeling anywhere else on my body.

3. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

You might die suddenly anyway.

I damn near lost my eyesight to Shingles - it was on the optic nerve and my eyelid was blistering. The eye doc said a few more hours and it'd been on my retina, and that would be it for that eye.

Get the damn Shingrix vaccine. Even if its not 100% effective at blocking Shingles, it will minimize any future outbreak and the damage it does to your nerves.

If you get shingles, get to the doc and get the anti-virals such as acyclovir, valacyclovir, or famciclovir. They will limit the spread and speed the resolution of the outbreak.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
  4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

My wife got the shingrix vaccine. Three days after the second dose got shingles on her eye.

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Kinda like getting the covid shot and then getting covid. Funny how that works...

6. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Sorry to hear Brex, shingles suck.

Getting the vaccine after you already have an active infection - yea that won't prevent the infection.

That's like changing the oil after you've spun the bearing and complaining that the oil change didn't prevent the bearing failure.

Typically vaccines take a few weeks to a month or more to reach full protective value, and then they never are 100% protective across all people.

The shingrix vaccine is a two-shot routine, with the shots separated by 6-8 weeks IIRC. So you wouldn't expect protection in three days.

black knight likes this.
  7. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Shouldn’t expect it … SHOULDN’T. Clearly, some would. :Poke:

8. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

I had it a few years ago and while it sucked, it wasn’t as bad as I expected. Doctor gave me some nerve pain meds that did nothing so I just surfed it for a couple of weeks until it got better. I still have tingles in the chest/under arm/back on one side and can’t sleep for shit. I used to be able to sleep till 10am on days off but now can’t get past 6am. Now thinking about it a little more, it did really suck. Haha