1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shingles, who's had it?

Discussion in 'General' started by se3 racer, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I’m getting my shot now too.

2. I had it just a few months ago. Sucks ass, ain’t shit you can do.

Doc gave me some antiviral medicine and Prednisone.

I had to sleep sitting at the dining room table for a week because I didn’t want anything touching my back or side.

Mine was gone in about 2 weeks. Well, “gone” as in it didn’t hurt anymore. It took longer for it to actually clear up from my skin.

3. :stupid:

I had heard of shingles, but didn’t know what it was and had never seen it.

The doc said once you have chicken pox, the shingles virus is left behind. He said EVERY person that has had chicken pox, already has the shingles virus.

He said the majority of people just don’t know it because the virus stays dormant forever. But extreme stress, anxiety, fatigue, etc can “activate” it. That’s what happened to me.

4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

What... did somebody beat you at "Treadmill"?

:Poke:

:D

5. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

It got me about 20ish years ago. Waited too long to go to doctor. He said that I waited too long and that it was on its way out and there was no point in any treatment by then and I should just ride it out. That's not a mistake you want to make.

6. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I did, it sucks didn't sleep for 2 days, I went to a doctor but ended up self medicating myself

7. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

I had it on my back. Even a tee shirt hurt. No fun at all.

8. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

You can STILL get shingles after this Vacc. It has been shown to decrease the severity of another outbreak, and to decrease the recurrence.
    It's not a guarantee you won't have an outbreak however.

Yep, the only way you can get shingles-
    Called: Herpes Zoster!!

WAY overkill with some of those meds. Gabapentin? That is now Evidence based medicine. You got a happy prescriber- pain meds? Narcotics too?

G, Do you mean you had not had Chicken pox yet, and as an adult, you got it from your nephew?

Folks, lets be clear what we're talking about here:
    Herpes Zoster, from latent varecella virus

Is ONLY unilateral! ONe side of the body only per outbreak!
    And usually only 1 dermatome!
    Google dermatome maps to see this.

If it's on Both sides in one outbreak, IT'S NOT SHINGLES!!
    As in the midline of your body, it's ONLY on one side at a time- shingles that is.
    Chicken PoX IS Both sides! many dermatomes!

It's only on one side, one dermatome for an outbreak.

It will go away with NO meds. (out society is so problem- there's a med for that)
    Again, the evidence behind the big money Pharma- says it will decrease the effects of neuropathy if anti- retrovirals are taken.
    The anti R virals, by documentation, only shorten the duration and severity some, and have been shown allegedly to help with post herpetic neuralgia.

There- that'll be $5

9. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yes and after reading your post it was not shingles then. Someone said it was actually shingles so????? I didn’t even bother to go to the doctor just got some lotion and soaked in tube a few times. Scared my face up too. :mad:
    In any event the little dude was 3-4 years old and I simply poked my head into his room making sure to not make any context not knowing it’s airborne. So @4 days later I was sick as F. Lasted about 8 days. Only time in my life I missed work outside of having my appendix removed @25. LOL.

10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

My dad got the vaccine and within six months got shingles. Must have been the bullshit one. This was a little over a year ago.

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Damn white privilege strikes again. If you were black he might have gotten the good stuff. :D

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Well this shit has worn on my last fucking nerve. Literally.

Been 4 weeks, my skin feels like it’s being peeled off with a cheese grater that just came out of a 500 degree oven.

Five days of prednisone, seven days of acyclovir, and the “rash” never developed beyond just looking like a handful of blisters. Never broke the skin.

But fuck am I tired of this shit. Ram out of ibuprofen and couldn’t sleep last night.

Oh, and because I can’t do anything fucking normal, my affliction is on my left fucking foot.

At least the concurrent case of chicken pox cleared up in a couple of days and never even itched.

So, anyone have ANY advice on topical pain relief that doesn’t require me to piss away another day in urgent scare to get a ‘scrip?

13. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Tourniquet?

I kid. Sorry you're going through that. :(

I have a bottle of 500-10 Norco left from a surgery last year. Doesn't do much for you, though. Might make it worse with the opioid itch.

14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Well hopefully you don’t get that horrible feeling permanently. Last year I was vaccinated for this, because the doctor said a certain % of people get it in their older years and the pain doesn’t leave and there isn’t a
    known cure.

15. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Bummer that blows! Hope u feel better soon

16. mte78

mte78 Well-Known Member

I got them when I was 41. In the worst possible spot you can imagine.

I slept in front of a fan for 4 days until the pain started to go away.

Horrible experience.

17. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

See them pushing the vaccine for it on tv lately but the way things are now I ain't getting jabbed with anything. Might end up dying suddenly.

969 likes this.
  18. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Says the pharma advertisement. Have you had your 45th booster yet?

19. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

I am confident Kenny's had at least one Mountain Dew this morning by now...

sheepofblue likes this.
  20. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

See PM, D'ern.