1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retirement / Your version of a dream retreat/house/cabin/etc....

Discussion in 'General' started by XFBO, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Not waiting, I do most of whatever I want right now. Completely financially set already but once I no longer have the daily responsibilities of young kids and their homework etc. I want to live a very "go with the flow" life. Take however long I feel like wherever I am without compromising for other peoples wants and needs.
    fyi I own a shitty condo in Beaver Creek CO. And another shitty condo in St. Thomas. Plus the two houses in AZ and S.Florida.

2. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

Im 39 and we are doing it now....grew up in Ohio.....wife and I fell in love with Texas a couple years ago for a multitude of reasons! We bought a small ranch, sold our Ohio home, and we leave in 9 days for good! I can work mostly from home so my options are wide open!

3. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

Yeah for my wife and I, as soon as the kids are out of HS, we're gone from OH. Probably from the country, but 100% from OH. The only place I would even ever consider living in OH after settling down in a good school district now is far west, around Greenville, but small towns only. Mainly for Eldora and the dirt track race season, but even then, it'd only be a summer home.

Hate this god forsaken state so much, luckily so does the wife. Stayed for family and jobs for the time being and just so happened to be in a great school district so makes sense for now.

4. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

It's funny, we just drove back from Cleveland. On the way up we had to get there so ran 77 all the way there. Heading back to Parkersburg WV we took 21 out of Clevelend, headed over to Walnut Creek and Berlin, then took 83 south to WV a few minutes west of Parkersburg. We both thought it was beautiful there. Great summer spot to drive through and visit. Would hate to be there in winter! Rode Mountwood mt bike park in Parkersburg. That place was awesome!

5. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

7. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

Went to school in New Concord right off 83, that whole corridor is beautiful over there for sure, just still in OH which is this downfall. Just a big distaste for the state I guess.

East of 77 is beautiful, Tappen lake area, Salt Fork, all of that, but again, still OH.

We've talked about WV because the wife can work anywhere but still not sure it's what we want.

8. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Congrats!

LOL....you sound like me with NJ.

9. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

10. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

11. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

I absolutely fell in love with Marsh Harbour when I ran over there a few years back. I'd retire there, but it's so expensive.

A few shots of from the house we rented from a nice couple in Ohio.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

I suppose Ohio is just fine!

We just want more out of life and decided not to "wait until......" to make the move. Usually waiting means it will never happen IMO. For us, we wanted better weather, nicer/more positive people, less taxes, and a lifestyle that fits us......we can't quite explain it, but its just different in the south compared to the midwest/east....at least from our perspective.

13. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

14. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

HQ is a nice low maintenance spread just outside Zion Natl Park in Utah which affords us access to an incredibly diverse area for riding bikes, horses, hiking, etc all year.

We have a nice 26 foot class A that pulls either the Lesbaru Outback or the horse trailer. we chose a smaller RV because we found one that is perfect for us, and larger rigs really limit access to NFS and State campground where many times 30 foot max is the rule.

We're less than an hour from high alpine (10,000+) but we're at 3600 feet so no snow and mild winter temps, can use the pool seven months out of the year.

We hop in the motorhome and do a month or two in Scottsdale/Sedona/New mexico in Jan and feb, head out for four to six weeks in summer (Tetons, Sun valley, Durango type stuff) where we can ride horses and the mountain bikes.

Its a great lifestyle :)

15. The_R1_Kid

The_R1_Kid Well-Known Member

Does a 50ft catamaran sailboat count? Once our kids are out of the house we will be going to Florida to buy a nice sailboat. We plan on spending a winter island hopping and then head to the Mediterranean and Europe for 5ish years. If we ever stop we will just come back to Oregon, and build a very small single story home on our property that will accommodate us ageing.

16. STT-Rider

Uh...ya!

50 feet is a whole lot of catamaran. That's like an aircraft carrier deck. Have you spent time on a big cat? They're a handful at times with all that freeboard and shallow draft and no keel(s). We chartered one in BVI and it was nice but I still like a 45 to 50 foot monohull better. Passport 47 and Island Packet 466 are standouts. Friends have the IP and it's big below decks, but cats are faster.

17. v42168

v42168 Well-Known Member

Here's mine, i've had it for 10 yrs, spent 6 winters in the Bahamas and the last 3 in Grenada. Summers in Western NC. The picture was taken in the Bahamas between Marsh Harbor and Treasure Cay. 42', perfect for 2 people.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

18. STT-Rider

Super nice.:up:

19. ianjoub

ianjoub Well-Known Member

Ahhhhh, nothing like flying a spinnaker!

20. Hollywood

Hollywood different breed

Already have a family owned cottage in Cape Cod, currently shopping for a house in Phoenix, and looking at some small stand alone (own water, power) mountain cabins up north and west of Flagstaff. Cottage and Phoenix home don't have much land, but the northern AZ place will. A lot. Also went in on a place in Breck, CO with a brother. No notes, and once we get bored of the states the better half has okayed bouncing between Baja and New Zealand before we check out.

I'm actually looking forward to working my ass off for the next couple of years so I can retire peacefully.