1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RaceChrono GPS vs Starlane Stealth GPS-2 vs ??

Discussion in 'Tech' started by ///3oris, Jul 28, 2010.

1. ///3oris

///3oris Active Member

Hey guys, I'm trying to choose between the RaceChrono GPS and the Starlane Stealth GPS-2. I'm curious if anyone has experience with either, or both and what you like or don't like about the two units.

Here's what my own comparison looks like:
    1. Price-wise, the RaceChrono is a bit more expensive (~$440 vs ~$470)
    2. RaceChrono has an external BT GPS sensor, so I can put it on the tail and put the RaceChrono anywhere.
    3. Starlane is waterproof and all info can be downloaded via BT, so I can mount it permanantly
    4. Starlane is smaller and would easier to mount (real estate is kind of at a premium)
    5. RaceChrono gives much more info on its touch screen, however when the information is transferred to the laptop, I think they give about the same amount of information (will have to play with software)

I'm not sure whether either unit has accelerometers or anything else to record G's and/or increase the accuracy/resolution of the GPS.

That's about it for now. I really have no idea which one to go with. I'm also not aware of any other products in the price range which do the same thing these two do. I like the GPX Pro, but that's even more money.

If I already had a "smart phone" or something along those lines, I'd just go with the same 5Hz GPS module that the RaceChrono uses and just use some simple (free/cheap) software. However, buying a smart phone would cost the same amount as buying a dedicated device for the track... so that doesn't seem to be a good option (unless anyone has ideas on hacking some cheap hardware device).

Goal:
    My goal is to know how fast I'm going at certain parts of the track and how changes I make translate to MPH/time at various corners. Obviously I want the standard features like lap timer, split times, best time based on best splits, etc. Monitor my progress throughout the season.

Thanks in advance!

2. themessage

themessage Member

They are pretty much the same, minus the external bluetooth receiver. Although I've never had a problem getting signal with the Starlane mounted to my gauges.

The best feature I can think of is the GPS-2 can connect to your laptop via bluetooth. They recommend a microSD card transfer for the RaceChrono. It has USB but they said it's unstable in the manual...

The touchscreen shows a lot more information than the Starlane. But you should be analyzing this on your laptop anyway. So I'd choose who has the best software. I haven't seen the RaceChrono, but Starlane has been around for over ten years and has excellent software.

They don't have accelerometers, they just use the GPS signal and calculate it in the software.

I believe RaceChrono was derived for people who already have smart phones and don't want to buy a GPS lap timer. Starlane started building electronics for GP bikes.

3. DuncR6

DuncR6 BCICAN

If you've thought about this route and wanted to save some money and still be able to review your progress then you could: buy a Droid off of craigslist for maybe $100 or so? I don't believe you would need a data plan or anything because you could just connect the phone to the Market via WiFi from your home or where ever. Then download trackmaster and buy the 5hz receiver. That would get your data that you want recorded and reviewable both instantly on the phone as well as exported to the computer for cheaper. Total cost would be $100? for the droid+6.99 for trackmaster+3.99 for bluetooth addon+$45 for Qstarz 890 5hz receiver= ~$155. To protect the phone just get a size=small aqua box from ram mount and put that in your tail or where ever so the phone is protected if you crash.

This will also allow you to do more than just review your data, but that's not what you were interested in anyways.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  4. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Dang DuncR6, thats a great idea!

5. ///3oris

///3oris Active Member

Thanks for the responses so far guys.

themessage, thanks for your opinion. I agree about analyzing on a laptop and will be comparing the two software packages in the coming days. It's still nice to have all the data right in front of you graphically between sessions, or something to play with as you wait in staging while they clean up the track from the guy that crashed after running the checkered (always seems to happen! :rolleyes:).

By the way, just so there's no confusion, when I say "RaceChrono," I'm not referring to the software package that's been available for years and you install on a phone. I'm referring to the hardware touch-screen device that was recently released. More information on it here: http://www.roostindustries.com/gps_lap_timers.php
    [​IMG]

DuncR6, good idea. I was hoping to use the same GPS module that RaceChrono uses. They use the Qstarz BT-Q818X... I have no idea what the differences are, but I figured if I go the 'cheap' route and like it then I may use it as a stepping stone to getting the RaceChrono. Thoughts?

6. DuncR6

DuncR6 BCICAN

That 818x receiver also works with the trackmaster software. I just mentioned the 890 model since it's smaller and does the same thing as the 818x. If you're set on using the the RaceChrono software in the future then yeah I'd say to just get the 818x model if you want to try this setup as a stepping stone. If you poke around there are threads about this setup and you can see pictures and everything. I'm currently putting toget a video from my trackday this past sunday. If you are curious to see what this setup is capable of then I can send you a link to the thread that I'm going to create. It'll have pictures, video, overlay, graphs, etc of everything so you'd have a good idea what I'm talking about.

I just checked the Qstarz website and apparently they have an 818xt model that is 10hz and it's only ~$89.

7. ///3oris

///3oris Active Member

DuncR6, you're the man :beer:. I'd like to get the link to your thread. Thank you!

8. Yoyo

Yoyo Well-Known Member

Stalane has introduced the Stardrome virtual race site.
    http://www.stardrome.com/

The idea behind this site is that racers can compare laps and learn from each other. The new MMX analysis software will allow you to upload your best lap with the click of a mouse, and you can then compare different laps.
    or
    You can just see what a lap would look line at Monza, Mugello, Nurburgring etc.

Contingency Program.

Starlane GPS Lap Timers - 1st-$75, 2nd-$50, 3rd-$30, 4th-$20, 5th-$10 in certificates for anything with Yoyodyne in Open, 750, & 600 Superstock Ex & Nv. Must use Stealth or Athon purchased from Yoyodyne. Must run decals on both sides of bike.

9. ///3oris

///3oris Active Member

Sheesh, thought I'd get a lot of responses and opinions. Wrong forum for the question? Nobody, besides "themessage," have experience with either unit?

I have 4 track days coming up this weekend and next weekend; was hoping to at least get something for next weekend.

10. tazrider

tazrider Greenwood Racing Wera 71

I hav ehad the Starlane , but not the Stealth. I wasnt partial to it, so I ended up getting the GPX Pro....great purchase and i wasnt required to have a bluethooth laptop to exchange data AND I was able to hardwire it to my bike's headlights to always be on when I'm riding....and off when not.maybe that would be one of your options.

11. DuncR6

DuncR6 BCICAN

Click here There is that thread I was talking about in the above post.

12. ///3oris

///3oris Active Member

DuncR6, thanks so much. Spectacular video; I'm sold! Can you just confirm that the Droid and Trackmaster application will be compatible with the 10Hz BT GPS (BT-818XT). Do you think it's worth getting 10Hz or will 5Hz be enough? Your video seems to show that it's enough, but I'd rather get your opinion before buying he product.

Thank you! :beer:

13. DuncR6

DuncR6 BCICAN

To be honest I'm not sure if it the 10hz version would be compatible, but if I had to guess I think it would be. The only difference is the speed at which the data is logged. Just keep in mind that your data will 2x as big in excel. For me the 10hz would be sweet but overkill since I'm not hunting down tenths of seconds in my lap times yet. But then again I guess it couldn't hurt to have even more resolution to your logs.

You could ask the author of the program though. Google Trackmaster by Trackaroo and send him an email.

14. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

15. DuncR6

DuncR6 BCICAN

^^^That one will work too. According the the program's website it "supports most NMEA compliant external bluetooth GPS receivers."